The Planted Tank Forum - View Single Post - Figuring out a fish's traits then Selectively Breeding
View Single Post
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-16-2013, 06:55 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru
ADJAquariums's Avatar
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Albany, New York
Posts: 1,445
Originally Posted by ngrubich View Post
For the blue offspring example, you would "expect" to observe ~25% of the offspring to be blue (1/4 of the punnett square would be homozygous recessive bb) the other 75% is a mix of genotypes (50% heterozygous and 25% homozygous dominant), but will still give you the normal phenotype. To avoid confusion, I would probably put pictures of the parent being plain-colored, and the offspring blue (the way you have the pictures and wording presently implies that heterozygosity gives you the desired phenotype).

This is a great little "crash course" in Mendelian Genetics, though!
Thanks for the tip! I will definatley fix my wording there.

"Obviously you're not a golfer."
-The Dude
ADJAquariums is offline  
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome