The Planted Tank Forum banner

Floating Away

2K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  GulfCoastAquarian 
#1 ·
I am getting frustrated with my plants floating away. I have a plant which I can't find the name of that is a bunched plant and when I received it the stems were held together with a soft metal weight. I attmpted to plant the stems into the substrate so that they could take hold and root but they have not. There have been many, many sprouts off the stems creating a branchy affect; however, the plants continue to become uprooted and float at the top of the tank. This creates a messy look and a constant need to replant, which just isn't entertaining. Any hints on a way to keep them down, and what the heck is this plant's name? Thanks guys!

#2 ·
This would be the Anacharis in your signature :D aka Elodea or Egeria or Wasserpest.

Looks great, mine just turns brown and dies :cry:

They grow naturally floating too. To keep them down you could try to un-bunch them a little and plant them relatively deep, then hope that they will grow roots instead of fouling away. Do you have a lot of current in your tank, or fishies that nibble on them? The soft metal is lead, and is supposed to keep them close to the substrate.

#3 ·
What are you using for gravel? It is also possible that your gravel may be a bit too course and there isn't any "bite" for the stems.

For ease of planting, "pea gravel" is usually considered the very largest diameter that is useful for planted tanks. In my experience though, even that is pretty coarse for some fine stemmed plants.

#5 ·
I will try these ideas after work this evening, thanks. The substrate is florite with a first layer of laterite mixed in.

#6 ·
I've never been able to get Anacharis to take root. Anything stuck in the substrate eventually just rots and dies and sends the plant floating again. The only way I can keep these down is to rubber-band them to a rock. wrap a bunch around a rock and stick them behind something (to hide the rubber band) and they should grow fine. When they get too tall, pull the whole thing out, trim them from the bottom and re-attach them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.