The Planted Tank Forum banner

Plant salesman says Walstad method is flawed

85K views 51 replies 32 participants last post by  somewhatshocked 
#1 ·
I have read Diana Walstad's book and several posts on this forum. I set up my tank and am ready to add plants. I live in a small town with few plant choices, so I contacted one of the big freshwater plant suppliers to order some plants overnight. I told him my plan to use a soil substrate and he proceeded to dissuade me. He said every customer he has talked to who tried to use soil has regretted it. I was able to counter all of his arguments except one. He said the biggest problem is that the organic matter (peat, bark, etc.) will decay releasing more ammonia and nitrites than the plants can absorb. This has me worried. (For example, the Miracle Grow Organic potting soil Walstad uses is almost 100% peat and other organic material, very little sand, silt, clay).

As I read Walstad's book, it seems to say that the primary benefit of soil is a long-term supply of nutrients. Can't this be achieved by occasionally adding substrate nutrients. My primary goals are no CO2, low maintenance and minimal water changes.

Is Walstad wrong? Is it possible to have a low maintenance tank with a commercial substrate, with out the decaying matter, simply by occasionally adding nutrients to the soil (something like Seachem Flourish tabs):icon_ques

I'm not trying to be a purest, I just want live plants with the least amount of trouble.

See less See more
#49 ·
as i read this, skipping so very much of it.

the salesman from the LFS the OP was talking about, ...

ammonia released from decay, ... ya, this is true, unfortunately plants don't have a preference for ammonia, and thankfully there is beneficial bacteria that do, and they have a tendency to convert to nitrites, and the next stage in the (overly simplified cycle) is bacteria that convert nitrites to nitrates, ... and this the plants accept eagerly.

it's about the easiest source of nitrogen in our tanks for plants to consume

i don't remember for sure, but i think ammonium is the preferred choice for plants for a source of nitrogen, followed by nitrates. ... i could be wrong about the order, it's been awhile.

#50 ·
The most difficult part of the walstad method is the soil leaching all its nutrients. I believe this can be fixed with a good cap.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.