How about a Thread just for Nano equipment? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-09-2010, 04:38 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

How about a Thread just for Nano equipment?

Hi Folks,

I recently bought a12x12 cube and want to start up my first Nano. While reading threads I thought that research would be easier if we had a seperate thread for nano equipment - filters, co2, etc...

Nanos have become so popular and their needs different enought that it seems a couple of nano-specific threads would be helpful.

Just a thought. What do the rest of you think?

AB

Osaka 320L ver 2
Eheim Pimp Club member #414, 2076 Pro 3e
Fluval G6
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-09-2010, 04:59 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Sorry if I miss understand, but do you meen a thread that lists nano equipment, like in plant lists?

"My next hobby is going to be tearing up $100 bills while simultaneously banging my head against a wall and flooding my basement."
"Ask not what the hobby can do for you, but what you can do the the hobby" - ScapeFu
The Jake-arium
Wabi-Kusa Pimp #3
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-09-2010, 05:57 PM
Algae Grower

I think thats a great idea! The hampton bay home depot light and red sea deco art nano filter are both commonly used on the forum! It will definitely save time for those new to nano tanks.
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-09-2010, 06:30 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Not a list like a plant list. But a seperate thread for discussin nano equipment and accessories.

Osaka 320L ver 2
Fluval G6
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-09-2010, 11:08 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Send a message via Yahoo to ldk59
Dood, we already have a WHOLE SECTION of the forum for Nano tank discussion... you just posted in it!

I know, hard to believe your wish was granted prior to your wishing it

What more can you ask for...
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-09-2010, 11:09 PM
Algae Grower

Is there a way that we can make a list that everyone can add to like an original document? That would be nice for research if it were broken down by equipment type. Just a thought.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-09-2010, 11:11 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cichlid Junkie View Post
Is there a way that we can make a list that everyone can add to like an original document? That would be nice for research if it were broken down by equipment type. Just a thought.
That would be cool!

"My next hobby is going to be tearing up $100 bills while simultaneously banging my head against a wall and flooding my basement."
"Ask not what the hobby can do for you, but what you can do the the hobby" - ScapeFu
The Jake-arium
Wabi-Kusa Pimp #3
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-09-2010, 11:12 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJAquaBarren View Post
Not a list like a plant list. But a seperate thread for discussin nano equipment and accessories.
Well you could always ask KyleT! But I think the plain old "planted nano tanks" part here does fine!

The Jake-arium
Wabi-Kusa Pimp #3
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-10-2010, 03:02 AM
Algae Grower

equipment/supplies i have been happy with:
eheim ecco
two fishes mag scrubber
ada cube
ecocomplete
32 watt pc retrofit
excel/flouish
equipment/supplies i have been unhappy with:
aquaclear 50 (made noise and the cheap plastic eventually broke)
tom's canister filter (poor quality but i know that others have had success with it)
current 18 watt (i'm my opinion it is underpowered for a 12in cube, i believe they have discontinued the 36 watt)
my cube has really taken off since i committed to providing more light and ferts.

dont know if this is what you are looking for hope it helps.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-10-2010, 05:06 AM
Wannabe Guru

Eheim 2211 is great for nano's under 10g
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-10-2010, 04:14 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

ldj59,

Yes I know. But its mostly journal like. Finding disussios on equipment is a little difficult. Seems there's so much nano activity that breaking outa few sub sections would be nice. That's all.

Osaka 320L ver 2
Fluval G6
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-10-2010, 10:21 PM
Wannabe Guru

It takes up a lot of space on a forum to have separate subsections, so it would probably be better to have a few stickies for the most commonly used equipment. Perhaps one for lighting/hoods, one for filters, one for tanks/stands, and one for other hardware, such as CO2. However, those do take up room, so it might be better to make it more simple, like one sticky for in-water components (filters, CO2 systems, heaters, etc.) and one for out-of-water components (tanks, lighting, stands, backgrounds, etc.). It'd work best if they were lists and short comments only, like the plant lists. Any questions about their contents would need to be asked outside of the stickies to keep them succinct. Does that sound like a good solution, NJAquaBarren?
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-11-2010, 03:19 PM
Algae Grower

It's best to have one sticky thread devoted to all hardware. The thread starter can edit the first post to update it as more hardware gets added. We can have a (+) or (-) rating next to each item to know how many people like or dislike an item. We can also provide a link or approx price too.

My stuff:

ADA Mini-S Tank; $50 (+1)
Zoomed 501 Canister Filter; $35
ADA Mini-S Light; $200
Paintball Co2 Regulator and Tank; $35
Dasz Nano Diffuser; $15
Archea from AFA 27watt CF Fixture + Bulb; $65
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-11-2010, 03:35 PM
Wannabe Guru

Send a message via MSN to garuf
I think it's a brilliant idea but ultimately flawed as what someone liked another will hate.

I personally think the eheim 2211 is too low on the flow front for anything bigger than about 3 gallons where as other people will say it's great for a 10gallon, it's all personal conjecture. A lot of people really like HOB's, I've used them and hated them... it's all personal preference.
I've used a 1200 lph filter on a 4 gallon tank, some people complain that a 300lph eheim blows their substrate around on similar sized tanks.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-11-2010, 05:42 PM
Algae Grower

I agree that Nano equipment needs its own thread. I find it's hard to get a right light for a NANO and heater. and people should also include the FISH they have in their nano also so that we can know what fish can survive in such a small tank. I bet some people would put a 20+ gal fish in a 3gal lolz. If it survive, then why not?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode