• 1 Post By FizzyShellfish

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-06-2016, 10:09 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

My first tank ever - a planted Spec V

Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

Got the plants at Petco. Two anubias (no species unfortunately) which turned out to be three anubias, and an Amazon Sword which I bought as a whim. It looked so healthy and had 2 runners with what look like flower buds and small plantlets. Tried to tie the anubias with thread and failed, so they are rubber banded for now, 2 to the driftwood, and one to a small rock.

My friend with 20 years of experience with the hobby is coming by in a couple days to give me some Java fern, so this is not the final scape. I plan to plant the java to the back and left, then move the driftwood to the left as much as I can. Might give my buddy the huge anubias in the center. Doing a fishless cycle. These photos were all taken as I put it together, and the tank shot is around 20 minutes after finishing it. Lots of bubbles on the glass (how do I get rid of them). The wall behind is blue which makes it look a little cloudy in the photo, but zero cloudiness.

Fluval Spec V. Finex Stingray 16". Hydro 25w heater. Replaced the charcoal with Purigen. Plugged the slot at the bottom with a little piece of sponge. Fine black gravel. Natural Rapport all-in-one water conditioner. API Quick Start. 1 Seachem root tab for the Sword, will add a couple more for the Java.

My concerns:
• Maybe too much gravel? • The Anubias are too large/will get too large, should have picked a specific smaller species • The Sword will get too large • The Finnex Stingray is really, really cold white. Not entirely happy with the look

I'll post updates as things go along. I plan to eventually have several rasboras or danio swordtails (suggestions?). Also have some frogbit on order.

Anyway, comments and suggestions are very much welcomed. After doing tons of research on this, I spoke to my friend. His take is that for simple setups like this, it's far more relaxing and not as complicated as the internet makes it out to be. He doesn't even use water conditioner! But we are in Chicago which gets great water from Lake Michigan.

So whaddya think?
geealexg likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-06-2016, 10:29 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

The sowrd will deffinitly outgrow that tank. Not sure on the species but I am willing to bet its a standard amazon and those can have leaves that can get 2-3 feet in length. As to the anubius my oppinion it is to large for where it is placed. Also I believe it is coffefolia or how ever it is spelled which is a large form of anubius. You should really get some plants suited for sucha small tank, dwarf hairgrass, some baby tears, moss, anubius petiet, etc...

I also have a spec V I need to set up so cant wait to see where this goes. Just look at your scale and plan accordingly think smaller plants.

So Many Hobbies... So Little Time...

EHEIM #524 CLASSIC 2217, AUTO FEEDER

20H Shrimp Tank: http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=194165
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-06-2016, 10:53 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Damn why can't my Petco have plants like that

Bump: Damn why can't my Petco have plants like that
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-06-2016, 10:56 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by theatermusic87 View Post
Damn why can't my Petco have plants like that

Bump: Damn why can't my Petco have plants like that
Funny, because here in Chicago, there's a Petsmart a few blocks away from the Petco. Petsmart had HORRIBLE live plants, and only in plastic cylinders. Petco had the cylinders and also a ton of plants in aquariums, which is the kind I got. $3.50/plant!
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-07-2016, 01:13 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

What's nice is that the amazon sword can be grown emersed. Well, all of the plants you have can be grown emersed. So as the amazon gets larger, it can grow out of the tank. At first, the leaves used to being underwater will die in air, but, the new leaves should grow fine in air, as long as the roots are in water. Same with most aquatic plants. So I would keep them all, and enjoy the canopy of the amazon sword as it grows out of the tank. Later, as you and your tank grow together, you can add the smaller, carpeting type plants that require a little more care in substrate, light and CO2 possibly.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-07-2016, 05:11 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks. I have frogbit and a bunch of dwarf sagittarius on the way.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-08-2016, 12:06 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Frogbit came today. Added it an hour ago. My friend is coming tomorrow with Java fern, then we will do a final scape. I used quick start, plus the plants and his Java... how long before I can add fish? Excuse the thermometer cord, will place it better once the Java is in.

Slightly cloudy water... bacterial bloom?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_473904086.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	107.4 KB
ID:	570154  

Name:	IMG_473904097.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	98.7 KB
ID:	570162  

geealexg likes this.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-08-2016, 03:49 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
He doesn't even use water conditioner! But we are in Chicago which gets great water from Lake Michigan.
Hey! Also a new Chicago tanker! Your tank looks great, cycle should be done when you can test 0 ammonia and nitrite after 24 hours upon dosing of clear ammonia to whatever ppm you like (I do 3ppm). Has worked for me for years in my reef and freshwater setups.

Also, your friend is pretty brave. I did some research on our water supply when I had a reef and RO unit and the city uses chloramines in my area, nasty stuff. I still use powerful dechlor on my koi pond as I've kill fish off our fresh supply. Just be careful.

1.2 Gallon RCS Planted

2500 gallon koi pond
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-11-2016, 07:43 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Updateay 4, one of the Danios died. It was the smallest one and was behaving weirdly, staying near the top alone. Everyone else is doing great. The frog bit has already settled in to where it's filling out, regrowing hair roots and looking like they belong there vs. a bunch of little plants thrown in. Tank is even clearer than ever.

I know you're not supposed to over feed... but how much food SHOULD I give them? The danios seem to eat up really quickly and the tetras aren't as voracious.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-12-2016, 11:38 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Update: Added anubius nana petite x2 and some dwarf sagittarius.

Finished, though I may get a few more tetras or pygmy corys.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_474334107.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	118.6 KB
ID:	573922  

Name:	IMG_474333980.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	76.2 KB
ID:	573930  

Name:	IMG_474333937.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	80.4 KB
ID:	573938  

Fish_wiz likes this.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-13-2016, 12:42 AM
Algae Grower

Looks good! Where are you getting the anubius nana petite locally? I having a hard time finding it.

1.2 Gallon RCS Planted

2500 gallon koi pond
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-13-2016, 01:37 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish_wiz View Post
Looks good! Where are you getting the anubius nana petite locally? I having a hard time finding it.
Got it through eBay.
Fish_wiz likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode