The Planted Tank Forum banner

5g planted moss??

2K views 17 replies 11 participants last post by  -kenny- 
#1 ·
I bought a moss covered log, then removed it after about 1 month the moss was not doing too well and appeared to be dying.

now the moss has covered the entire other side of the tank and is growing on some of the substrate.

so my question is, is this moss or just massive algae?

Its not hindering any plants yet, but will it take over everything????

help Plant Vertebrate Green Toy Organism

Plant Water Leaf Natural environment Organism

Plant Green Botany Vegetation Water

See less See more
#2 ·
on the fourth picture,the right sided one is java moss...im not sure about the left one though...it could be algae

#4 ·
I think it is algae also!

#15 ·
I have that algae and it took over my java moss on the log in my 10 gallon. it does look beautiful though and because it is growing on the java-moss instead of directly on the log or substrate it is easy to rip out and throw away when it gets to be to much. But be warned it does catch extra fish food and debris.

#17 ·
thats definitely some hair algae. i had some in a 20 gallon that was cool looking, but after a while it can start to grow all over your tank, all your wood, and even all over you glass, filter and heater. my advice would be to get rid of it. dip the wood and what ever else it is on in hydrogen peroxide for 1 or 2 minutes and it will die. just the use the regular 3% stuff that costs like a buck at walmart instead of the expensive excel.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.