1.5 gal shrimphaus journal (final hurrah 1/20/11) - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 49 (permalink) Old 12-12-2009, 03:07 PM
Planted Member

How is this tank doing?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 49 (permalink) Old 12-16-2009, 01:48 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Send a message via AIM to Bonefish
Good news! Between the Excel, the H2O2, the blackout, dropping K/FE, and adding the shrimp, all of the algae is gone. Whoo hoo! Python, thanks so much for suggesting direct application of H2O2 - watching the algae literally fizz away was one of my most satisfying moments as an aquarium keeper. I'm impressed that the H2O2 nailed the algae but didn't seem to bother the HC.

I added three cherry shrimp and one Amano, and I've got three more cherries waiting to join the crew sometime next week. I trimmed the scraggly Rotala down and stuck some of the bushier tips into the substrate to fill in the gap. Also added some Subwassertang on the driftwood and in the corners.

I'm thinking of getting a bright red stem plant to go in the center back.

--The user formerly known as TsuRyuu --
Current scapes
: 1.5 gal betta shack
Tank graveyard:
2.5 gal betta iwagumi :: 1.5 gal shrimp forest :: 2.5 gal low tech
post #18 of 49 (permalink) Old 12-18-2009, 10:01 PM
Algae Grower

very cool. do you have any co2 running in there? and how many WC do you perform a week? Looks good to me, can't wait for it to fill out in a few months. BTW, what's that wrapped around the driftwood? Is it string?
post #19 of 49 (permalink) Old 12-19-2009, 12:40 PM
Planted Member

Congrats on eradicating the algae. Looking forward to seeing some of the growth fill in (I'm assuming thats moss tied to the tree?)
post #20 of 49 (permalink) Old 01-11-2010, 09:14 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Matt724 - No CO2, just Flourish Excel as a carbon source. I also have the venturi valve on the filter set to constantly aerate the water, which may help add a bit of CO2 to the mix.

Water changes are once a week, ~50%. The plants, especially the Mayaca and duckweed, do an amazing job of keep the nitrates low. I've tested water quality after a week, and nitrates are near zero, despite all the shrimp poop.

It's cotton thread wrapped around the driftwood to hold the Subwassertang on.

tuonor - thanks! I'm glad the problem algae is gone. Now all I get is a little bit of regular green spot algae, no big deal. And yep, that's moss and Subwassertang tied to the driftwood.

TANK UPDATES:

One of my female cherries is berried. Those guys got busy fast! I only had them in the tank for about 2 weeks when I noticed one of the females with eggs. And I just caught the other female mating with two males yesterday, so I may have yet another berried female.

Here are a couple of tank progress shots:

December 29

Yesterday. The filter intake is covered by a nylon stocking in anticipation of shrimp babies.

Speaking of shrimp:

Current scapes
Tank graveyard:
post #21 of 49 (permalink) Old 01-31-2010, 12:22 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Update: ~*babies*~

Yep, there are baby cherry reds in my tank. Success!

It took me several weeks to notice them; at first, I thought the berried female's breeding attempt was a dud. The shrimplets stayed hidden in the moss and Subwassertang until they hit about 1/4" long, and then a few started venturing into the open at night. I've counted at least 6 out and foraging at one time.

I'm excited. I'll probably hold on to a few -- I need more adult females because I only have one at the moment -- and the rest I'll sell off, lest the tank get too crowded.

Here are some recent shots:

Big Mama herself.

TANK PROBLEMS (help me troubleshoot please!): The HC is getting a bit scraggly. The old leaves, especially around the base of the stems, are slightly yellow and have brown dusting around the edges. What could be going on? I don't *think* I'm under-dosing ferts.

Current scapes
Tank graveyard:
post #22 of 49 (permalink) Old 01-31-2010, 04:12 PM
Wannabe Guru

I can't help you with your HC problem, but this tank is adorable!! I've been considering adding a pico to my 'collection', and this made the decision easier Great job!
post #23 of 49 (permalink) Old 01-31-2010, 05:31 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

wow, this tank looks really good, i'm so mad i havent seen it before! haha... congrats on your babies, i've always thought RCS are cute lil things

Wilson
10g Globe l'Attente - As of 8/10, gone nano-reef!
46g High-Tech, last updated 1/14
post #24 of 49 (permalink) Old 01-31-2010, 05:42 PM
Algae Grower

great setup!

i'm surprised no one has asked..
1. where'd you get the light?
2. what do feed the shrimp?

oh, and i believe that HC problem is dubbed the "toupee effect"
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/pl...-gallon-9.html
problem #2
post #25 of 49 (permalink) Old 02-01-2010, 01:43 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Amazonfish - thanks! Glad my tank was an inspiration. I think little tanks are a blast... as long as you can avoid algae and water parameter problems, of course. Little tanks can be unforgiving.

demosthenes - thank you, I'm flattered you like it. I'm happy it came together well. When I set it up, I did so with little forethought for the design. I threw plants in where I thought they'd look good, and I got lucky that they filled in nicely.

hyunbaw - thanks! In answer to your questions:

1. The lamp is a $9 clip lamp from Staples with a 15W Daylight CF bulb.
2. One day of the week, I give them a tiny chunk of an Hikari Algae Wafer. For the rest of the week, they're fending for themselves, eating the (quite abundant) algae in the tank.

Aha, that looks like what's going on with my HC. Thanks for the link. I'll give the HC a trim next water change.

Current scapes
Tank graveyard:
post #26 of 49 (permalink) Old 02-09-2010, 04:16 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I saw your post on another thread re: how much excel in a nano. I have a 29g planted set up with yellow shrimp. There is much controversy over excel, dosing and shrimp. I see you're shrimp don't seem to mind the excel, as they are producing. I have started dosing excel in my 29gallon. A week later I found one dead shrimp. Sigh...not saying this is the reason for the shrimp dying. Just wondering if you've seen any deaths since dosing excel.
post #27 of 49 (permalink) Old 02-09-2010, 06:37 PM
Woah, I'm a Guru?!

Great little tank! It makes me want to try doing a pico tank again, but a slightly larger one than my 4" x 4" cube that I tried last time

As for excel, I've not had trouble with it and shrimp in any of my tanks

30g Low Tech Journal, 5 & 10g Low Tech Journal
1 year old Tibetan Terrier named Whisky
8 year old miniature Poodle named Cody
I enjoy having a zoo to care for!
20gH Planted tank,5g Planted Betta Tank
post #28 of 49 (permalink) Old 02-11-2010, 08:56 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Great looking tank!
post #29 of 49 (permalink) Old 02-12-2010, 10:12 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

londonloco - Only one death a few weeks ago; an adult female. I'm not sure why she died. I'm inclined to say she had trouble with a molt, but there's no way to know for sure. Other than that, everyone seems to be in good health. The babies are growing up and mama is berried again. I'll be sure to keep you posted on any future deaths (I hope there are none!) I'm sorry to hear that one of your shrimp didn't make it.

Karackle - Thanks! Heh, I feel your pain. I tried a 4"x5" pico in a glass vase... it lasted all of one week before it got smothered by algae. I think 1 gallon is the limit of my pico skills.

actioncia - Thank you!

Current scapes
Tank graveyard:
post #30 of 49 (permalink) Old 02-12-2010, 10:18 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Um, I forgot about molting...maybe it was not a death, but a molt...omg...what a dweeb I am!

Tags
1.5 gallon

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode