zeldar's 10gallon tree stump scape - Page 3 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 193 (permalink) Old 01-02-2010, 10:10 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Just a small update.

Not much has happened with the tank. I got back from vacation last week and the tank did fine. There was some decent growth with the UG. Its slowly spreading but at least its sprouting new leaves. Nothing changed with the anubias or java fern. I did add a patch of mini pellia from my other tank. It just didn't look right in that tank so I will see if it fits in here.

I just hooked up a filter to my other 10gallon to get it cycling. I am getting the itch to fill this tank up. My only concerns are the nutrients that it will need.

I plan on dosing Excel in the tank. Would excel be sufficient for UG? I know the other plants will be fine with the excel, I am just concerned the UG needs "real" co2.

I think I have my stocking list in order for when its ready. I want to add about 8 celestial peral danios, 5 pygmy cories, a pair of CPO's, and maybe a nerite if algae starts appearing. Let me know if you have any other suggestions as I am not dead set on the CPD's. I also considered amber tetras but they are pretty hard to find.

A couple more cell phone pics, still don't have my camera back:

a little UG growth

mini pellia
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 193 (permalink) Old 01-19-2010, 11:38 PM
Algae Grower

Has there been any growth in the last few weeks?
post #33 of 193 (permalink) Old 01-20-2010, 12:00 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cichlid Junkie View Post
Has there been any growth in the last few weeks?

yeah... what he said...

how is this tank coming along?

i'm also really interested in hearing the answer to your UG/excel question...
post #34 of 193 (permalink) Old 01-20-2010, 12:27 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I was just about to post a little update. I got my camera back finally. Not that it really helps because I still can't take a good picture. Oh well its better than the cell phone.

Growth really hasn't boomed yet. I have been keeping the lights on 11 hrs/day but the UG still doesn't want to explode. Looking back on the old pic you can tell it has grown in some, just not to the extent I was expecting. The anubias has some new leaves as well as the narrow java fern. The mini pellia seems to have made the transition from submerged to emersed just fine. Daddio, I will let ya'll know how the UG/excel experiment goes.

The filter is still running on another tank and should probably be good to go. I am definitely about to fill this tank up. I bought it a heater today, so maybe another week and thats all I will be able to wait. haha

On to the pictures...

fts

UG

from above
post #35 of 193 (permalink) Old 01-20-2010, 01:52 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

this is a great looking vscape and the plant selection is just right. what live stock are you putting in there?

ADA 120P x2 Iwagumi ADA 75P, 60Px3, 30Cx3 ADA Mini S solar (LED) Mini M solar Do!aqua Mini M

http://socalaquascapers.com/
post #36 of 193 (permalink) Old 01-23-2010, 08:12 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I filled the tank yesterday. I was getting nervous that the wood would want to float so I had a rock on top. I slowly removed the rock and the wood stayed put, so I guess its fine.

I tested the ammonia and nitrite today and they both read 0. Its probably too early to tell though so I will keep testing daily.

As for the stocking list. I have a pair of CPO's on the way and will house them in my other 10gallon until I know for sure this tank is cycled. Also going to add 6 pygmy corries and 8-10 Celestial Pearl Danios. Maybe a nerite or assassin snail. That will probably be all the tank can take.
post #37 of 193 (permalink) Old 01-23-2010, 08:39 PM
Planted Tank Guru

That looks awesome!

Chrisinator's Aquatic Project Journal
post #38 of 193 (permalink) Old 02-06-2010, 07:13 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

just a picture update. The tank seems to have been cycled from the get go with the mature filter. I just added 8 young CPD's earlier today and will be ordering the pygmy corries next week. I'll prob throw some type of shrimp in here from my other tank. Which shrimp would look best out of CRS/CBS, blue tiger, RCS, or amano.

Couldn't get a good picture of the cpd's

post #39 of 193 (permalink) Old 02-08-2010, 04:55 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PUT THAT HEATER UNDER NOW XD

I always liked the stripes of CRS and CBS versing the more solid tigers... CRS/CBS contrasting white gives tanks a nice movement...

Also, move the Pelia where the wood bends in front...
post #40 of 193 (permalink) Old 02-08-2010, 04:45 PM
Wannabe Guru

what kind of filter are you using? maybe you can put that hydor heater in the filter so that it won't pull focus from your aquascape. lookin good!!
post #41 of 193 (permalink) Old 02-17-2010, 09:43 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I have a nice dose of slime/ blue green algae covering the substrate. It started in small spots, but now its covering most of the foreground where the UG is growing. Its not on any of the other plants, wood, or glass.

What are some ways of getting rid of this algae? I have read that constant water changes may stop it. I already do 30% water changes every week, so should I up it to two or three changes a week? Also, would adding DIY co2 have any affect on this algae?

I am just scared that it will kill the UG since its already growing on a lot of it.
post #42 of 193 (permalink) Old 02-24-2010, 04:19 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeldar View Post
I have a nice dose of slime/ blue green algae covering the substrate. It started in small spots, but now its covering most of the foreground where the UG is growing. Its not on any of the other plants, wood, or glass.

What are some ways of getting rid of this algae? I have read that constant water changes may stop it. I already do 30% water changes every week, so should I up it to two or three changes a week? Also, would adding DIY co2 have any affect on this algae?

I am just scared that it will kill the UG since its already growing on a lot of it.
always try to find the root of the problem or else it will always keep coming back and about your bga here is a link which should help. l found it very informative on the bga subject.
http://www.aquariumslife.com/algae-c...e-green-algae/

l too have a problem with bga and seem to be winning at the moment . dosing kno3 also helps. if you have any other questions just send me a message i'll do my best to help. gl on the tank

One more thing what is your dozing schedule for your fertz and which kind?

----gauny----
48g rimless "passion"
"What you leave behind is not what is engraved in stone monuments, but what is woven into the lives of others" -pericles

post #43 of 193 (permalink) Old 02-25-2010, 01:46 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

The BGA is really coating the foreground thick now on the right side. The left side isn't as bad, just a thin layer. I went ahead and ordered Erythromycin for treatment as this seems to be the solution for most people. From reading online about it, it sounds like it gets rid of it in a week or so. I can only hope.

Anyway, I moved the CPDs to my other 10gallon to make room for my 6 remaining cardinals. I had like 15 in my 40gallon and they started dropping like flies. For some reason the pH in that tank is over 8.6. I have peat in there and its still not dropping. So for now this tank is holding the cardinals until I can figure out whats causing the huge pH spike.

The UG carpet is definitely at a standstill while this BGA takes over. I may have to replant once the algae is gone because I bet the right side with be destroyed underneath that mess.

I'm too embarrassed to take pictures of the tank. haha I'll get some up once the BGA subsides.
post #44 of 193 (permalink) Old 02-25-2010, 03:12 PM
Wannabe Guru

Send a message via AIM to VadimShevchuk Send a message via Skype™ to VadimShevchuk
That is a nice pieace of DW. I am also setting up my 10 gallon soon without pressurized co2 and im gonna be watching this journal. If its not a bother to you can you pm me on how much you paid for the DW. Also i am wondering is it okay to use cfl bulb that are 13 watt but they out put 60watt of light? They are energy efficient ones.
post #45 of 193 (permalink) Old 02-25-2010, 11:45 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeldar View Post
The BGA is really coating the foreground thick now on the right side. The left side isn't as bad, just a thin layer. I went ahead and ordered Erythromycin for treatment as this seems to be the solution for most people. From reading online about it, it sounds like it gets rid of it in a week or so. I can only hope.

Anyway, I moved the CPDs to my other 10gallon to make room for my 6 remaining cardinals. I had like 15 in my 40gallon and they started dropping like flies. For some reason the pH in that tank is over 8.6. I have peat in there and its still not dropping. So for now this tank is holding the cardinals until I can figure out whats causing the huge pH spike.

The UG carpet is definitely at a standstill while this BGA takes over. I may have to replant once the algae is gone because I bet the right side with be destroyed underneath that mess.

I'm too embarrassed to take pictures of the tank. haha I'll get some up once the BGA subsides.
try checking your phosphates with a api kit. l checked mines last time and they were at 10 lol basically the highest level on the kit. so i got some seachem phosguard and now it's 0. l also added some bubble air stones to maximize the circulation of air. now all that's left to do is watch and see what happens.

----gauny----
48g rimless "passion"
"What you leave behind is not what is engraved in stone monuments, but what is woven into the lives of others" -pericles

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode