zeldar's 10gallon tree stump scape - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 193 (permalink) Old 11-23-2009, 07:57 AM
Algae Grower

nice wood! i really looking forward to you putting the plants in!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 193 (permalink) Old 11-28-2009, 03:09 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeldar View Post
CL, thats actually a very good idea. I never thought of that, I'll try it.

I still need some other plant ideas to go along with UG. I'm not going to be doing diy/press. co2. I am probably going to be dosing excel and ferts though. Lighting will be two 15watt CF.
I'm rather taken with Anubias Nana Petite growing around the base of stumps
post #18 of 193 (permalink) Old 11-28-2009, 03:13 AM
CL
Planted Tank Guru

A large clump of petite would look great either on top of the stump, or around it, IMO
I love petite if you can't tell

post #19 of 193 (permalink) Old 11-28-2009, 09:23 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Loads of potential greatness here. I'm excited to see where it goes. I am also in the petite around the base of the stump crowd. That would look freakin awesome.
post #20 of 193 (permalink) Old 11-29-2009, 07:25 PM
Algae Grower

I already love your tank and it's not planted or filled yet! That "stump" is amazing and really does look like a stump! Can't wait to see how this goes!
post #21 of 193 (permalink) Old 12-01-2009, 11:33 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Trying to locate my plants so I can get this thing planted. I am getting a bunch of anubias petite for around the base of the stump. Then the UG for everywhere else. I haven't decided if I want to do a stem in the back left corner or what. Any suggestions?

Also does anubias petite do well in a dry start tank? Should I just tie the rhizomes to small rocks or wood and push it into the substrate, enough to keep it wet. I know your not supposed to bury the roots but they need to stay wet somehow, right?
post #22 of 193 (permalink) Old 12-05-2009, 02:03 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Trying to locate my plants so I can get this thing planted. I am getting a bunch of anubias petite for around the base of the stump. Then the UG for everywhere else. I haven't decided if I want to do a stem in the back left corner or what. Any suggestions?

Also does anubias petite do well in a dry start tank? Should I just tie the rhizomes to small rocks or wood and push it into the substrate, enough to keep it wet. I know your not supposed to bury the roots but they need to stay wet somehow, right?
I put anubias petite in my dart frog viv for a couple months to hold while setting up a new tank and it did really well. I would guess it's grown commercially out of the water like most aquarium plants.
Rick
post #23 of 193 (permalink) Old 12-05-2009, 02:26 AM
CL
Planted Tank Guru

All anubias do great emersed. Just keep the top covered for humidity. And of course it's okay to bury the roots. They're roots after all

post #24 of 193 (permalink) Old 12-12-2009, 08:00 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I finally got the tank planted. Yay

As planned I used UG for the foreground. In the pics you can't really see it because it is so small, but it covers the whole area that looks bare. I got a bunch of anubias petite for around the stump and in the background. The guy I got the petite from also sent some what looks like narrow leaf java fern and I was needing a background plant so that was perfect.

I think the tank really turned out well. Let me know some suggestions of what I can do to make it better. Sorry for the bad pictures, I don't have a camera right now so they are off my crappy phone.

fts

closeup

top view

Oh, and I have a question. I am going out of town around Christmas for 10 days. The tank is emmersed but I am not sure what to do as far as misting the plants, especially the anubias. They are on the high slope so it will probably become dry pretty fast, right? The only thing I could think of was to fill the tank with an inch or so of water just to be safe. Any suggestions?
post #25 of 193 (permalink) Old 12-12-2009, 10:25 PM
Algae Grower

I really like the way your tank is coming along.
post #26 of 193 (permalink) Old 12-13-2009, 01:12 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:

Oh, and I have a question. I am going out of town around Christmas for 10 days. The tank is emmersed but I am not sure what to do as far as misting the plants, especially the anubias. They are on the high slope so it will probably become dry pretty fast, right? The only thing I could think of was to fill the tank with an inch or so of water just to be safe. Any suggestions?
ATO. Automatic Top Off.

Or something like that. But that's for marine tanks. Guess it can work for planted tanks also. Just position it over the petites.

By the way. Love the simplicity.
post #27 of 193 (permalink) Old 12-13-2009, 03:53 AM
Algae Grower

It looks awesome , I think I want some more petite seeing as I have somehow lost the bit I had

try filling the tank up a bit more, say till the base of the lowest petite then stick glad wrap over the whole top of the tank and it should keep it humid with the heat coming from the light (or a heater if you have hidden it somewhere)
post #28 of 193 (permalink) Old 12-15-2009, 12:11 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thanks guys, yea I have saran wrap on the top of the tank already and there is quite a bit of water on the side of the tank. So I think its pretty humid in there, but is that enough to keep the anubias content?
post #29 of 193 (permalink) Old 12-15-2009, 01:54 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

That should be just fine for the anubis. I'm real excited to see how this one turns out. Looking awesome!
post #30 of 193 (permalink) Old 12-16-2009, 11:36 AM
Algae Grower

If you're still looking for a background plant to go in the corner instead of the ferns I think a red plant with thin leaves would suit it very well. Maybe rotala or if you want to keep it short you could also try blyxa though it wont turn red easily but still a nice choice if you ask me.

ım really loving the trunk you got. Hope the UG settles in as they tend to die off ( and bounce back according to Ugly Genious' journals ).

[/SIGPIC]Want to go nano , but donīt know where to start

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode