The official EDGE thread - Page 70 - The Planted Tank Forum
 30Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1036 of 2171 (permalink) Old 10-22-2011, 02:04 AM

Hello all, just figured I'd post up my own personal Edge. Got it a few weeks ago at Petco for $30. They said the light fixture didn't work so it was discounted. Got it home and plugged it in... yep, they work. I'm still running the halogens, but my LEDs should be in in the next week or so. Currently I've got Java Fern, Java Moss, Dwarf Baby Tear, and Dwarf Hair Grass. The moss and hair grass are doing the best thus far. I've also got 2 ghost shrimp, one red shrimp, and 9 cardinal tetras in the tank. Some might say it's overstocked, but everyone is getting along just fine. This is my first personal tank, but the house I live in (just me and a roommate) we have a 125 gallon freshwater, a 30 gallon freshwater, and a 50 gallon aquatic turtle tank. And at my motorcycle repair shop, we have a 240 gallon freshwater in our lobby. This is the first attempt at aquatic plants though!

(This was right after a water change so it's a little murky from the sand getting kicked up)

White sand was a BAD IDEA but it's too late to go back now!

Last edited by Noobens; 10-22-2011 at 06:17 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1037 of 2171 (permalink) Old 10-22-2011, 04:42 AM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by micr0 View Post
Here's a pic of my Edge from a few weeks ago.

I'm excited to see what people do with the new models, and how much of an improvement the new LED fixtures will provide over our MR11s.
HOLY TITS That looks amazing!!! What lights/substrate/dosing are you using?
How much co2 are you dosing? I was having problems with my edge and diy co2 (i know, not the same thing). It looks super nice
post #1038 of 2171 (permalink) Old 10-22-2011, 04:50 AM
Algae Grower

Brand new tank. Water is cloudy from the flourite, can't wait until it clears. I love that you can see through the top as well.

post #1039 of 2171 (permalink) Old 10-22-2011, 09:32 PM

Been reading this thread thoroughly - love some of the setups and inspired me to pick up a Fluval Edge myself. I replaced the halogens with the new Fluval LEDs, and have Eco Complete as a substrate.

Looking for some advice on planting though - would I be able to grow hairgrass as a carpet for one side of the tank without CO2 injection (maybe with excel?).

Not too sure if the lighting would be able to handle it.
post #1040 of 2171 (permalink) Old 10-22-2011, 09:40 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemsip View Post
Been reading this thread thoroughly - love some of the setups and inspired me to pick up a Fluval Edge myself. I replaced the halogens with the new Fluval LEDs, and have Eco Complete as a substrate.

Looking for some advice on planting though - would I be able to grow hairgrass as a carpet for one side of the tank without CO2 injection (maybe with excel?).

Not too sure if the lighting would be able to handle it.

I am trying to figure out the same thing, I actually planted some DHG just over a week ago, and its not looking so hot. You can see my post in the Plant thread regarding this exact question.

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/pl...-question.html

I hope someone is able to give some advice.
post #1041 of 2171 (permalink) Old 10-22-2011, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunehole View Post
I am trying to figure out the same thing, I actually planted some DHG just over a week ago, and its not looking so hot. You can see my post in the Plant thread regarding this exact question.

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/pl...-question.html

I hope someone is able to give some advice.
Reading their responses and some other threads it seems glosso may be more suitable for a nano tank, then again still not sure how well it would cope without CO2 (but dosing excel) and just the new LED lights.
post #1042 of 2171 (permalink) Old 10-22-2011, 10:10 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarbyte View Post
HOLY TITS That looks amazing!!! What lights/substrate/dosing are you using?
How much co2 are you dosing? I was having problems with my edge and diy co2 (i know, not the same thing). It looks super nice
Why thank you sir! Sadly, after flourishing for about two months, the staurogyne that looked so great in this tank suddenly dropped all its leaves over a two day period... Not sure what exactly happened, but this led directly into an algae outbreak that also forced me to do a huge trim. The tank is now recovering but it's a shadow of what it was a couple weeks ago. The stauro was my fav!

I added a signature link to my tank journal which has more pics and info but to answer your questions:

Lights: MR11 LEDs that everyone uses plus a couple hours of sun in the afternoon from the window.
Substrate: 20lb Eco-complete
CO2: Fluval 88g system - got this on the cheap and plan to replace with a full system once I run out of cartridges. I run 1bps during the day only.
Ferts: Flourish, Trace, and potassium 2x a week plus root tabs.
post #1043 of 2171 (permalink) Old 10-23-2011, 06:32 PM

Does anyone have any idea what "intensity" the new light system would correspond to in the NEW Edge2 12 and 6 gallon models? For example the 12 gal has 42 LED's apparently... in this size tank would this be a med light or high light tank?
post #1044 of 2171 (permalink) Old 10-24-2011, 12:34 AM

Got my New Fluval Edge 12 gal the other day!
I have never owned fish or any tanks before so I am starting from scratch - live plants and some other decorations and will add some small fishies next week.

Maybe some advice on what i should add?

I will post a few pictures later this evening.
post #1045 of 2171 (permalink) Old 10-25-2011, 12:42 AM
Algae Grower

Cool Persistent Cloudy Water

I am running into a persistent cloudy water problem that really has me stumped.
Fish (neon tetras, cories, otos) are doing fine, as a the shrimp and neurites. The tank is heavily planted, and I have cut way back on the food. I do not have an algae issue, either.
I do run the filter at its lowest speed, since it does tend to blast things around.

I do about 15% water change twice a week (10% once, then maybe 20%). I do filter cleans once a month normally (light rinse of sponge and biological media, replace charcoal, clean siphon etc.). I also run a pre filter, which I clean about once a week, since the Fluval plant medium seems to "shed" a little - it mainly seems to collect its brown dust.

I just added some fiber matt, since that worked well, when I was setting up the tank some eight months ago and the media really created cloudiness.

This tank overall has done well, but I like that water clear again! My initial experience was for waiting, but it's easily been three weeks.

Any tips or ideas?
post #1046 of 2171 (permalink) Old 10-25-2011, 03:58 AM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cath1024 View Post
I have never owned fish or any tanks before so I am starting from scratch - live plants and some other decorations and will add some small fishies next week.

Where did you get it?

I have not seen it sold anywhere locally or online!
post #1047 of 2171 (permalink) Old 10-25-2011, 04:09 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by cath1024 View Post

Whatever you do, make sure that you cycle your tank properly before you buy any inhabitants!

http://www.aquariumslife.com/freshwa...quarium-cycle/

Keeper of plants, shrimp & oddball 'monsters'.
30gal X2 Journal | 'Ebiwagumi' EDGE
post #1048 of 2171 (permalink) Old 10-25-2011, 04:12 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by haralds View Post
I am running into a persistent cloudy water problem that really has me stumped.
Fish (neon tetras, cories, otos) are doing fine, as a the shrimp and neurites. The tank is heavily planted, and I have cut way back on the food. I do not have an algae issue, either.
I do run the filter at its lowest speed, since it does tend to blast things around.

I do about 15% water change twice a week (10% once, then maybe 20%). I do filter cleans once a month normally (light rinse of sponge and biological media, replace charcoal, clean siphon etc.). I also run a pre filter, which I clean about once a week, since the Fluval plant medium seems to "shed" a little - it mainly seems to collect its brown dust.

I just added some fiber matt, since that worked well, when I was setting up the tank some eight months ago and the media really created cloudiness.

This tank overall has done well, but I like that water clear again! My initial experience was for waiting, but it's easily been three weeks.

Any tips or ideas?
Add some Purigen to your filter. It seems like you have a pretty significant bioload and the purigen will help absorb a lot of the extra ammonia and nitrate that may be contributing to the hazy water.

You can probably also ditch the charcoal to make room for the Purigen... you really only need charcoal if you are trying to get medications or heavy metals out of your water. I pretty much never use it on my planted tanks.

If you think that the cloudiness might be particulate - like dust from the substrate - add a layer of fine filter floss to the top of your filter... something like this: Blue Bonded Filter Pad.

post #1049 of 2171 (permalink) Old 10-26-2011, 01:06 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Cool Edge Gallery

The Aquatic Gazette has posted a collection of TPT Edge builds....

Pretty cool to see them all together like this, go have a look:

Fluval Edge | A Pictorial Celebration of your Passion

post #1050 of 2171 (permalink) Old 10-28-2011, 02:44 AM
Mxx
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by raven_wilde View Post
Happened to look at the link and was quite surprised to see some familiar images and rather flattering comments there! My original post was #780 on Page 52 here, but thought I'd put up an update.

In a densely planted jungle scape I guess poor 2D photos can be a little difficult to accurately discern a scape by, as in losing the depth that you can perceive in person it all becomes very confusing to try to understand the complexity of. The photos are a little blurred as well, but I'm in any case relatively happy overall with the tank still. I suppose I haven't cleaned any algae from the glass in months, though that might have a lot to do with adding two nerite snails.

I hadn't been adding any macro fertilizers but eventually started to see some thinning and significant deficiencies particularly in the swordplants, so I'm doing some further dosing now and seeing some recovery. I tried to add some Blyxa Japonica and Marsilea quadrifolia around the same time, but they soon disappeared, I suppose due to an apparent lack of macros at that time as well.

The platy that my wife insisted that she really wanted decimated my hairgrass in short order, so I had replaced that with Staurogyne repens. It turns out that's not an actual carpeting plant as it doesn't spread on its own and needs to be topped with the cuttings replanted, so that's a little annoying. I took out the strange olive coloured crypt originally on the left after it went crazy, and I added some Anubias that I received from a friend and which I'm quite happy with now. The Limnophila aromatica is supposed to be in there temporarily while I do some work on a different tank, but it's going wild and starts to fill in the entire tank if not trimmed. The crypts that I'd planted in the back and had forgotten about have been growing over the surface now, but their narrow leaves look a bit weedy here, so I'd have preferred if I'd stuck to broader leaf species.

Tags
edge, fluval, hagen, nano, neoheater, seneye

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode