Spec V Filtration - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-11-2015, 08:50 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Spec V Filtration

What is everybody running in theirs? I'm running mine bone stock for now. I've been thinking about modding it a bit.

20G High
Fluval Edge 6G
Fluval Spec V
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-11-2015, 09:13 PM
Wannabe Guru

Mine is a beta tank so I run the stock pump on low. I've also drilled a few holes in the stock hose to circulate water in that chamber since I keep my heater in there. Makes sure it's warm water being pumped out and not cold.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-11-2015, 09:16 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsantucci View Post
Mine is a beta tank so I run the stock pump on low. I've also drilled a few holes in the stock hose to circulate water in that chamber since I keep my heater in there. Makes sure it's warm water being pumped out and not cold.
That's a good idea. I can't get my tank temp above 76*. I have tried every single heater that will fit in that chamber over the last few years.

20G High
Fluval Edge 6G
Fluval Spec V
post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-11-2015, 09:32 PM
Wannabe Guru

All stock for me. One home to betta (spec V) and the other home to RCS (spec 3).

Will need to drill those holes as suggested @bsantucci, next WC

Daisy Mae V
According to my husband, I have a habit of jumping right in!
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-11-2015, 09:37 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMAXNAZ View Post
That's a good idea. I can't get my tank temp above 76*. I have tried every single heater that will fit in that chamber over the last few years.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisy Mae View Post
All stock for me. One home to betta (spec V) and the other home to RCS (spec 3).

Will need to drill those holes as suggested @bsantucci, next WC
You'll both see the water temps even out right away. I did about 5 holes with a small drill bit. Just enough to get it moving a bit. My tank sits at 80 with ease and just a 25W heater.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-12-2015, 02:57 AM
Planted Member

I have the stock lights as I only have low light plants in it, but I have Seachem Matrix, Purigen and some extra filter floss in it instead of the ceramic media and carbon. I too have my heater in the pump area, and without the holes one side a degree or two warmer (happy Betta) and the other side is cooler (happy RCS).

post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-12-2015, 04:08 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rushdoggie View Post
I have the stock lights as I only have low light plants in it, but I have Seachem Matrix, Purigen and some extra filter floss in it instead of the ceramic media and carbon. I too have my heater in the pump area, and without the holes one side a degree or two warmer (happy Betta) and the other side is cooler (happy RCS).

I assume you have the matrix in the bottom, then purigen, then filter floss??

20G High
Fluval Edge 6G
Fluval Spec V
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-14-2015, 06:34 AM
Planted Member

Quote:
I assume you have the matrix in the bottom, then purigen, then filter floss??
I actually have the foam block that came with it. I jammed extra foam next to the intakes so that nothing can swim through them, then the top hole filled with a bag of purigen, then matrix in a sack filling the second hole, then because there was a gap I added extra matrix below the foam block with some filter floss under it.

My water is VERY clear and I have excellent readings despite being a teeny bit overstocked.

Because I have a load of RCS I only change about 15% of the water about once a week. I had a bunch of shrimp die when I did a big water change once and now I am paranoid.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-15-2015, 09:45 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsantucci View Post
Thanks for the holes tip. I drilled 3 holes with the smallest bit I had and tank is now up to 78*.
bsantucci likes this.

20G High
Fluval Edge 6G
Fluval Spec V
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-15-2015, 11:48 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Thanks for the holes tip. I drilled 3 holes with the smallest bit I had and tank is now up to 78*.
No problem glad to help!

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-19-2015, 06:28 AM

I have drill bits ranging from 1/32 to 1/2 inch. could somebody tell me the size bit they used? Thank you.

Will work for fish
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-19-2015, 03:04 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NRS4LIF View Post
I have drill bits ranging from 1/32 to 1/2 inch. could somebody tell me the size bit they used? Thank you.
I used 1/32" and drilled 3 holes. They were so small I had to wobble it around just a bit because the holes were closing on themselves. I used the smallest bit my pack had. The holes I drilled are so small you could barely see them.

20G High
Fluval Edge 6G
Fluval Spec V
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-19-2015, 06:41 PM
Algae Grower

I have a hydor 50w in the outflow compartment and never had a problem with temperature even without holes. Contemplating if I should bother drilling holes. I could get it over 80F if needed just have to turn it up slightly higher. Highly recommend the heater.
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-19-2015, 09:17 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I run the Tetra HT10. It says it is 50W, but I'm doubting that. I'm at a smooth 78* now.

20G High
Fluval Edge 6G
Fluval Spec V
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-25-2015, 04:00 PM
Algae Grower

I was thinking about putting my cobalt neo-therm heater inside, but was worried since the heater was touching the housing walls. The cobalt instructions say to not let anything touch the heater. Thoughts?

My bank account has tanked since I got into this hobby.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode