The Planted Tank Forum banner

First attempt at a planted tank in ages - 3g Picotope

1K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  frootbat 
#1 · (Edited)
About 10 years ago I tried plants in a small way with a cichlid tank with ferns/anubias, but gave up on plants when I would get nothing but leaves covered in black fuzz. Since then I have been doing reef tanks, but caught the hankering for a small shrimp tank, so I cleaned out a 3g Picotope and got to it:

Tank: 3g Picotope with a custom lid I found on a reef forum sale thread

Lighting: stock with 9w 50/50 bulb, may replace with a 6700k.

Substrate: Fluval Shrimp

Other equipment: AC50 with an AC20 impeller, Intank media basket, 50w Neotherm heater, basically stuff I had on hand to throw a tank together.

Plants: I really wish I written down the names :( I think the ones in the front are some kind of crypt, the stuff in bunches near the rock begins with a "P" (I'm awful, I know), and I don't remember what the anubias style plant in the back was called, but it was supposedly fairly rare. The piece of wood in the front had the moss and fern already on it, and since it came from a tank at the lfs, I thought it might help with the cycle. Too big really, but $10 to help the water chemistry seemed like a good deal for what I was getting.

My plan now is to wait 3-4 weeks and get some crystal red shrimp. Does the timing sound about right?

Thanks!!!

See less See more
#2 ·
Looks good. I think that's crypt parva in the front. Your previous algae problems were caused by too much light and not enough CO2. If you stay on top of those two then you will enjoy this tank.

#9 ·
Maybe return the FugeRay and get a StingRay instead?
I will go ahead and return the fugeray and probably stick with the stock light fixture. I may, however, change the 50/50 bulb out with this 6700k bulb if it fits:

If plants start turning brown or show signs of inadequate light, I may get the Stingray clipon. But to be honest, I am far more afraid of that brown/black fuzz than I am of inadequate light. Since my main focus will be the shrimp, I'd be ok with moss/ferns to be honest.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.