The Planted Tank Forum banner

3 Gallon Nano Stock

1K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  matefrio 
#1 ·
So my son is cycling a little 3 gallon bow front aquarium for his science class as they are learning about ecosystems. I wasn't involved with this process at all so I am trying to help out after the fact. He plans on adding some driftwood, guppy grass, and moss. What we're struggling with is what to stock it with. He is going to go with snails and shrimp, but he would like to add some fish. I think an Otto would do OK in there (This tank will be taken home at the end of the school year, so he could add the Otto to his 45 gallon that has other Otto's in it). However, I know that he wants to add some swimming fish. Anyone have any ideas for a tank this small?

Thanks in advance for your help!

#2 ·
Your son get's an Aquarium for a school project that' at school? That's cool! We just got a clump of Anacharis when I was in school to learn about leaf structures and Chlorophyll.

As for the fish, I'd skip the Otto. They don't travel well and acclimation in an environment that isn't controlled can cause these guys to kick. If the tank was at home, I'd say go for it. What about a pair of sparkling gouramis?

#3 ·
Yeah, it was his idea actually. The teacher told him to go for it. He will be setting up the tank at home and then taking it to school, so anything in the tank will already be acclimated. You may be right about skipping the Otto though. There should be enough of a cleanup between the snails and shrimp.

I know that my son really wants to keep shrimp in the tank, so I don't think that grouamis are going to work in there. I was thinking maybe some chili rasboras, but I'm not sure how well they would do in a tank that small over a school year. Please keep in mind that any fish will end up in one of our larger tanks after the school year.

#6 ·
If you're adding snails and shrimp I'd leave it at that, bioload it going to get a bit high with fish also you have to worry about predation, most fish will eat shrimp, if not the adults then at least the newborns/young.

#7 ·
As a science teacher, I'm glad that he was able to do the project, but I wish he went with a 5 or 10 gallon instead - so much more versatility! Oh well.

As for fish - why not do a betta? Cliche, but would provide him with the fish he'd want, though, it might attack the shrimp. Definitely suggest if you go that route to provide a lot of hiding spots for them, and keep the betta busy.

#8 ·
I hear you. I think a 15 gallon would have been the best size to be honest. I have learned more about the difficulties of this tank. Like they turn the heat WAY down on the weekends and holidays, there's no AC once spring comes back around, there is no water supply in the classroom, and of course, there's the whole feeding issue over long breaks.

I was left completely out of the loop on the selection process. I didn't even know about this project until I talked to him the night he got the tank. My ex-wife just took him up to the pet store and told him what she would buy. He did actually want a 5 gallon, he just didn't have the knowledge to justify the additional $15 better than he did.

I am beginning to think that a beta and some snails are the only way to go. Even with a lot of cover, I think that the shrimp would be wiped out over the long Christmas break.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.