The Planted Tank Forum banner

30x30cm cube

4K views 18 replies 6 participants last post by  mikeeOBS 
#1 ·
Hey guys, just thought I'd show my 30x30cm nano cube. about 7-8 gallons. Nothing too crazy looking :p

AC20 filter.
12" wavepoint HO led.
pressurized co2 UP-Aqua.
AZOO substrate with Flourish root tabs.
5lbs of seiryu.

Right now its planted with S. Repens and HC. I don't really dose any ferts, but was wondering if I should? No bad signs from the HC or Repens yet (tank is about 2.5 weeks old) is what's holding me back from dosing any liquid ferts. If I do, could I get some recommendations? Sadly, I have no test kits besides pH and ammonia, but I'm okay at keeping those stable. Here are some photos with date stamps.

**Diffuser was moved down under filter the first day, after getting some tips from some kind folks here on the forum**

9-25-2015:

10-05-2015:

See less See more
#2 ·
Great job! That's a nice looking tank. I think you are going to find that eventually you will need ferts though. I would buy dry ferts and mix them yourself. I was intimidated by this prospect when I first started, but it's a lot easier than it first appears. I get mine from aquariumfertilizer.com. They have articles on there on dosing recommendations, links to calculators, and you can even get your mixing bottles from there. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

Best of luck!

#5 ·
I was assuming that as well, just had no idea where to look/what to dose. I will definitely check out that site, as a lot of articles i've read and threads about hc on this site have always talked about dry ferts just like you stated. thanks for the kind words and recommendation!

Bump:
Yeah I would definitely start dosing some ferts at some point. Also I agree with the loach guy dry ferts are probably a better route cus they're cheaper and not that diffucult to do actually. Nice tank though! Any plans for fauna? Maybe some shrimp? Or micro rasboras?
thank you! yeah, im looking into the website he recommended and will hopefully make a purchase by this week. As for fauna, I might go with RCS. can they coexist with micro rasboras? that was definitely an option too. At first set up, my LFS had really nice Macrostomas, but I doubt an 8 gallon tank would be big enough for the pair they had.

Bump:
I don't know if it's just, but I don't think you are utilizing the full height/depth of the tank. Maybe a rescape with sloping up the back (more substrate in the back) to create depth and not leave so much open space?
I'm glad you brought it up! At first, I wanted a flat layout/scape, but after looking at all the cool nanoscapes here, I am so tempted to do a rescape. Just might do it this week.. lol.

#10 ·
Same here lol. Have you (or anyone) ever had problems replanting HC? Never tried replanting them and i'm kind of scared knowing that they're a bit fragile. The S. repens should be fine as I have a lot to trim and replant since they have runoffs sticking out. Will definitely be rescaping this week and will update with photos. Only problem is that I only have 5lbs of Seiryu (what you see in the photos) so I was thinking a small Island layout would best utilize the small amount of stones I have, as well as the tank space.
I've never had HC, but from what I've seen on it, it's easy to tie it to a rock and let it grow out from there much like you would do with moss.

I get it about only having that much seiryu stone, but wouldn't it be worth buying more so that you are completely happy with your tank?

#13 ·
Some budget issues came up, so I can't really purchase anything new for a little bit (besides maintenance supplies and fauna), ended up with this rescape. Pretty happy with it. I wanted a lot of swimming space for any fish I add and worked with what I got. Switched up the location of the HC and S repens. I have a 15g that I'll try to save for and fully scape that one out. Will post photo updates when plants are fully grown out and carpeted.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.