The Planted Tank Forum banner

Trigun808's 5g Cube! Grassy paradise? updated 9/30/09!

7K views 53 replies 19 participants last post by  kcirtappatrick 
#1 · (Edited)
hey guys i have set up one more tank, im kinda late on the journal but here
the tanks is a 5g cube
Light is Archaea 27w light with 10k bulb
Pressurized co2 split from 60p
zoomed 501 canister
ada amazonia soil
some sand
i also will be dosing ada step 1 and brighty k
occasionally special lights

im using a hardscape is well, please lmk what u think of it :icon_wink

as for my plants:
my foreground will be UG
-rotala butterfly
-downoi
as of right now i might be looking for some erios

fish:
-red pencilfish
-otto

thanks! i might make this a CRS tank
all comments welcome!

See less See more
#2 ·
I like the look of it. But the bare spot in the front corner is kind of an eyesore. Did you run out of substrate? A little bed of white sand would provide a nice contrast there and give any future corys a playground.

Also, 27 watts over 5 gallons might be a little much. You may have to play with that a little if you start having algae problems.

Love the rocks! Where'd you find them?

Some ground cover would be nice, too. With that much light, and amazonia soil, and CO2, you could grow some nice, compact glosso, or HC. The shrimp will love it.

#4 ·
The white spot (sand) does make it look unfinished. Looks like your off to a good start. Can't wait to see it when it grows in and you add the fish.

#6 ·
Post a picture maybe it looks better with more sand added.

#7 ·
1st of all, I really like the colors in those rocks! Good pick. I think that because this tank has a rim, the level of sand that you've put in barely reaches the top of this rim and is hard to see from those photo angles. I got it though ;)

I like the idea of a full UG carpet. The rotala butterfly is a beautiful choice for both it's color and texture, but the leaves look a lot more elongated than I though they would. Anywho, good luck! Can't wait to watch this progess.

#8 ·
Those look like shou stones to me. My advice is use long narrow plants, like Hair grass, these accentuate the effect of the stone, for an example you can look at the first scape of the tank in my signature to see how this looks.

That being said, UG isn't a bad choice to use with it either, since it has that grass look when it's grown in, just in a different way. I'd stay away from using HC or glosso though since they aren't -as- suited for this rock type (which is very slate-like and vertical) as UG or hairgrass. In fact a hairgrass background and UG foreground isn't a bad route to go. The good thing about these stones is that because of their coloration the need for a red plant or the like is unnecessary.

I see where you are trying to go with the hardscape, and could give you pointers on improving it if you wish, but it's a little difficult to do once it's filled with water! It depends on your current focus, plant growing skills or hardscape skills.

#9 ·
:D yea i love the shou stones!
dont be afraid to throw out pointers! im all for it!
i also wanted to put a small erio in there but idk..
i seem to have LUCK when growing plants as well, hence the LUCK lol
but keep the comments coming!
more UG should be coming in next week for this tank

#16 ·
Are you using purigen as part of your filtration? Or do you just have crystal clear water because you got lucky? hahaha. At first I was mesmerized be the beautiful green downoi and red rotala, now that I'm looking again.....I realize how CLEAN and CLEAR the water looks (esp for a tank using aquasoil). Can't wait for the updated pics!

#17 ·
hahahahaha thanks man
i was too lazy to make a trip to get purigen, so yeah not using it in either of my tanks.
oh i needa do an update! i got some growth going on :D
jealous of my clear water? hahaha :)
i do water changes every week if that helps and i use some of my RO water

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.