2.5 gal "Arroyo" - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-01-2009, 06:55 AM
Wannabe Guru

I would be skeptical of ordering from AZ Gardens. I myself have never dealt with them, but based on other forum members experiences with them, I am not ordering from them- ever.

As for a background plant, one that looks really nice, but can be a PIA to plant is Eleochoris Vivipara (sp?).

"You think you have tomorrow, but when tomorrow comes it's not tomorrow; it's now- and that's all you have" - Marc Johnson
Ehei-Pimpfen 276 yo!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-01-2009, 08:44 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Send a message via AIM to Bonefish
leaf & SearunSimpson - Thanks for the warning about AZ Gardens... I had no idea their reputation among hobbyists was so shaky. I'll look into different sources for my plants. Do you have any specific recommendations? I'm open to all suggestions.

yikesjason - That's why I'm leaning towards UG instead of micro sword. From what I've read, UG only gets to be about 1 inch long. Riccia might work, too, but I don't know how well it'll do with only Flourish Excel instead of CO2 injection.

Ugly Genius - Thanks so much for those links. Great stuff and very helpful. I'm reading through them now and will probably end up tweaking my hardscape a bit more.
post #18 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-21-2009, 12:30 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Plants are in!

Picked up the U. graminifolia from Carnivorous Plant Nursery yesterday, and my box of plants from aquariumplants.com came this afternoon. After an hour or two of planting, here's what I've got:

Plants, from front to back, are dwarf hairgrass, Marsilea quadrifolia (trimmed to just the rhizomes), U. graminifolia, and H. callitrichoides.

I'm planning on going emersed for ~3 weeks and then switching to submersed. Besides keeping the emersed tank constantly moist and lit, is there anything else I should do? Is 27W too much for beginning emersed growth?

And finally, introducing...

STEALTH PICO. No idea what volume it is. Just a generic garden store-variety glass vase filled with some of the extra plants and stones I've got. Still waiting for the dust to settle from filling.

Both tanks.
post #19 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-22-2009, 11:31 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Heeeyy, fancy seeing you here.

It'll be intresting to see how the plants grow in with your rocks, the UG could look really cool. I would've skipped the marsilea all together and planted the UG right up to where the hair grass in the back is so it could cascade forward over the rocks.
Speaking of the hair grass, that looks crazy tall for DHG, even in a 2.5.

UH to answer your questions, you can never have too much light for emersed, as long as it stays moist. If anything I would try and move the light closer to the plastic.
Also, 3 weeks might not be enough for it to get going emersed, 4-6 weeks would probably be better, but YMMV.

Wabi Kusa is just an Aquascape Katamari
post #20 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-23-2009, 01:49 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Howdy hey! Which corner of the internet do I know you from? Don't recognize the username off the top of my head.

I'm looking forward to seeing how the UG fills in. If the marsilea fails (which is possible, since I trimmed it way back to the rhizomes), I'll take some of the extra UG I'm culturing outside the tank and fill it in all the way to the DHG.

The DHG is huge. Aquariumplants.com said it was a new shipment (as in it arrived at their facility the same day they mailed it to me), and it was in top form when I received it - big and healthy and green. I imagine the taller parts will die back a bit when I make the switch from emersed to submersed.

I'm nuking it with as much light as possible. The light can't be lowered more due to lamp design, unfortunately, but the plants seem to be pretty happy with what they've got.

I might give the tank an extra week or two of emersed growth just to make sure roots have been laid down and the plants are over their transplant shock. My next concern is cycling, but I'll cross that bridge when I get there.
post #21 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-23-2009, 02:04 AM
Planted Tank Guru

I'm merri-chan over on LJ, from smartsnark

DHG doesn't really grow any different emersed, by the looks of it I think you might have gotten regular (tall) hair grass, wich is an excellent background plant, but iunno how it does emersed. I'd watch it to see if it wants to just die off and not put out any emersed growth.

One weird thing I found with my emersed tank was that my plants barely put down any roots, so I think once you start to see runners from the UG or HC that you should be good to fill it up.

post #22 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-27-2009, 08:23 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Ohoho! I love how small the internet can be. I had no idea you were into planted tanks! I'm glad to have found a fellow snarker-fish lover.

I'm seeing some tiny new growth on the DHG and no dieback yet, so I think it is indeed true DHG. Just really, really big DHG. It'll be interesting to see what happens when I fill the tank.

A tiny little cobweb spider (a baby) has gotten into the tank and built a mini web on the marsilea. Poor guy's gonna be in for a surprise in a few weeks.
post #23 of 42 (permalink) Old 08-27-2009, 09:16 PM
Planted Tank Guru

I think we talked about bettas once, I don't remember what it was in relation to though, hmmm.

That's good! weird though, my emersed DHG has never gotten too much bigger than it's submersed form, It'll be intresting to see how it grows in.

post #24 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-16-2009, 09:35 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dollface View Post
I think we talked about bettas once, I don't remember what it was in relation to though, hmmm.

That's good! weird though, my emersed DHG has never gotten too much bigger than it's submersed form, It'll be intresting to see how it grows in.
It was inevitably in response to some idiocy on DA. Probably live-feeding drama.

Well, in answer to the DHG question, heeeeeeeere's an update!

Emersed growth as of yesterday.

Partial top view.

The UG took a little while to settle in, but as soon as it did, it started taking off.

The HC, though a bit more vertical than I'd like, seems to be quite happy.

Save for the Marsilea, all of the plants have grown and filled in like fiends. Submersion will commence in a few days, as soon as I get an appropriate heater for the tank (probably one of these on sale from the LFS).

Changed the tank name to "Arroyo" because the ruddy stones and "wash" of HC down the middle remind me of a desert gulch.
post #25 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-30-2009, 06:01 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Went submersed as of this past Sunday. No major melt or dieoff yet, but the ammonia levels are off the chart. I'm chalking that up to the ADA Amazonia leeching, so I'm going to give the tank a few weeks to cycle (and possibly add some floating anachris and hornwort from the pond) before I put Ms. Betta in her new home.

I hope the Marsilea, which looks kind of gangly at the moment, switches to its denser submersed form soon. If it doesn't I'll probably pull it and just let the hairgrass fill in.

I'm beginning to think I need something tall in the back corners.

As for the pico a few posts back, I gave up on keeping it aquatic and drained the water. It's now been converted into a pico vivarium for a little terrestrial snail I found in my emersed plant culture. :P
post #26 of 42 (permalink) Old 09-30-2009, 06:56 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Love the valley of HC. If you let that hairgrass grow for awhile, it should get pretty tall on it's own. It will also spread like crazy so it'd be nice and full. See how that hairgrass just to the left of the middle is leaning inward? It would be cool if the hairgrass on the right did that too. A whimsical hairgrass tunnel.
post #27 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-03-2009, 06:20 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Thanks, Outlawboss! Yeah, I'm hoping the hairgrass fills in a bit more. The UG has taken off since submersion, but the hairgrass growth seems to have puttered to a bit of a standstill.

I love the hairgrass tunnel idea! I'm gonna steal a plug of DHG from my emersed culture and try to stick it in on the right side. The inward leaning part on the left was a total fluke -- I kept trying to coax that piece to grow upwards -- but now I see the potential for a cute tunnel mirroring the slant of the rocks.
post #28 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-04-2009, 12:46 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Ok, I'm freaking out a bit right now because both the UG and HC are melting back. I'm worried that it's because the pH and KH are insanely low (due to Aquasoil?). My tap water measures 80-120 ppm KH and pH 6.8 before being added to the tank, but only about 0-40 ppm and 6.2 pH after being in the tank.

Also, I need to get a decent test kit and stop using test strips.

Anyway, what can I do about this problem? Add carbonate?
post #29 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-04-2009, 09:13 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

sorry to hear about your plants.
it could be that your plants are finally transitioning from emersed to submerged.
of maybe a lack of nutrients? what are you dosing any ferts?
post #30 of 42 (permalink) Old 10-04-2009, 09:23 PM
Planted Tank Guru

I doupt it's the PH/KH that's causing the melt, It's probably the emersed growth melting away into submersed form. I've heard that HC is reaalllyy picky about going between emersed and submersed.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode