Do!aqua Plant Glass Cube20: Might - Page 3 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 375 (permalink) Old 02-05-2009, 01:01 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Eh still those spiral bulbs pack a punch to tanks like these.

Question : Why do all your tanks always look oh so dark ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 375 (permalink) Old 02-05-2009, 01:11 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

I don't know why they're so dark, Kayen. It's probably something with the settings on my camera, but I've found that the settings I'm using take the crispest pictures. Perhaps this comes at a cost of brightness.
It's also possible that because the most of my tanks are medium lighted, that could be it, too.
Thanks for the tip on the bulbs. I'll keep my eye on algae and move down a watt or five should the light prove to be too bright for this tank. I'm hoping that the CO2 and the soon-to-be density of plants will allow me to keep the tank lighted by a fifteen watt spiral bulb as anything less makes it hard to make out the details.

Speaking of details. After shooting the previous photo, I saw the beginnings of that white cottony fungus that grows on driftwood in the beginning of it's life underwater. Hate that stuff.
It's best just to let it run it's course, right? I mean, the tank's too new to add shrimp to clean it off so I'm kind of stuck with it, I'd imagine.
post #33 of 375 (permalink) Old 02-05-2009, 10:54 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Yep I got the same thing UG in my 60-P. It really think though and very white, Not as gooy looking. Really gross is pretty much the best way to describe it! From my exp the best way is to leave it as it will just start all over again if you scrub it off. Only thing is that last time in my mini M it took like 2 months to get it to go away by itself!

Also I really like the positioning of the moss tree and all.

Ohh I think I am almost ready to get some UG and maybe some Mini Pellia from you! But almost is the key word!
post #34 of 375 (permalink) Old 02-06-2009, 01:29 AM
Algae Grower

i've been staring at that tank at afa every other weekend for about 3 months!!! i want it soo bad, but i promised myself to not spend anymore money at that store.

pure jealousy...
post #35 of 375 (permalink) Old 02-06-2009, 03:00 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

thief, just say the word and some UG's on your way. I just have a tad of Mini Pellia, but it's enough to get you started. All's ROAK, of course, but I do ask that you be cool to a complete stranger in exchange.
I'll just let the fungus, which has gotten worse, run it's course.
And thanks for the compliment. This tank has legs, I can feel it. I just have to master such a small small volume of water. I'm pretty good with a Mini-S and Mini-M, but two gallons is proving to be harder than I'm skilled for.

corporate p, you got one life to live. That's all I'll say on the matter.
And thanks or sorry, depending on your mood.

The Mini Microsword started yellowing today. Dunno why. It's doing fine -- great, even -- in Impact and Source. It may be that there's too much CO2 being pumped in. It might be light, too much or too little. I'll keep my eye on it and adjust as necessary.
post #36 of 375 (permalink) Old 02-08-2009, 04:02 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Ugly made an ugly mistake. A mistake involving Purigen and bleach.

Long story short, all plants in this tank are doing very, very poorly as a result of a inadequately rinsed and de-chlorinated bag of Purigen.

From a distance, the carnage is not that bad.

Close up, the signs of distress are not always apparent.

Look in the right (or wrong) places, however, and you start to see the signs of plant suffering

My poor Anubias Nana "Petite"!

The worst of the carnage. The mighty Bolbitis is suffering.

When I used a recharged bag of Purigen, I rinsed it, but not all that well and only with a minimal amount of Prime. Big mistake. A few days later, all plants started to show signs of burns and melting. (And the plants in here are the bulletproof kind!)

I've since added extra Prime and did a significant number of water changes. The optimistic side of me hopes this is helping and sees some improvement, but the optimistic side of me is also an idiot, so the pessimistic side of me is erring on the side of caution by looking for other causes and possible solutions for the dramatic decline in plant health.

I really, really like this 'scape, so I don't want to tear it down and start over. I'd like to try to nurse these plants back to health.

Only time and patience will tell if I can bring these plants back from the dead.
post #37 of 375 (permalink) Old 02-08-2009, 04:45 AM
Wannabe Guru

Send a message via MSN to garuf
Not just the plants will be effected, so will the substrate and the filter media all of which will absorb the bleach. Sad times.
post #38 of 375 (permalink) Old 02-08-2009, 11:53 AM
The Circumloctioner

Bummer. Clip the leaves off of the Bolbitis, and it should spring back nicely. It's actually recommended to trim the leaves off before it's planted.

It'll come around!
post #39 of 375 (permalink) Old 02-08-2009, 02:46 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

post #40 of 375 (permalink) Old 02-08-2009, 06:37 PM
Planted Tank Guru

well you may see more damage over the next week, but that wont be new damage, it will be just the lag between the plants exposure, and the foilage death. i know when i did bleach dips on plants, they were getting worse for about a week or so, even though they were in bleach for only a couple minutes, and then rinsed in water with a lot of dechlor.
post #41 of 375 (permalink) Old 02-08-2009, 06:56 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

garuf, there is no emoticon for what I'm doing right now so I'll explain it to you. A round face with both eyes shut, fingers stuck in both ears, and the mouth moving in a manner that says, "Lalalalalalala!"

I nose, Phoenix. Terrible.

Thanks, @marko. Fallout to last a week. I'll be patient.

Thanks for the advice, Roy. I didn't know that about Bolbitis. And I hope you're right about it's recovery. This 'scape is kind of dependent on that plant.

I can say that I've noticed some of the yellowing blades of Mini Microsword start to green up. (I've also notice some melt completely.) So the optimistic side of me and the pessimistic side of me are both saying, "I told you so."
post #42 of 375 (permalink) Old 02-09-2009, 02:06 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

geez another beautiful tank, I'm sure its gonna pull through.
post #43 of 375 (permalink) Old 02-09-2009, 03:30 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Thanks, fish. Hopefully it will. Got my work cut out for me, but it might not be as bad as I had thought. It's kinda-sorta showing signs of improvement.

This tank is a b---h to shoot. I have to take twice as many photos to get half as many good ones as I do my other tanks. It's probably due to the less-than stellar lighting and the glass.
Even these, that aren't that great, took forever to get.

I added a new bunch of Mini Java Fern and some of what I assume to be Lawn Marshpennywort in the front and on the right.

Plant-wise, I think I'm done with adding. I'll let it grow out and see what happens from there.
post #44 of 375 (permalink) Old 02-09-2009, 08:52 AM
Wannabe Guru

Send a message via MSN to garuf
You need to trim back as much as you can nuke it with co2 and do extra water changes, dosing excel will help too, you need to be getting as much of the algal spores out of the tank as possible and keeping the co2 as rich as possible so that the plants have the best chance they can to make it through.
post #45 of 375 (permalink) Old 02-09-2009, 07:40 PM
Wannabe Guru

Send a message via AIM to Down_Shift
wow nice kitchen! I guess you don't cook much haha.

I really like the DO!AQUA tanks... anywhere I can get them in the states?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode