Do!aqua Plant Glass Cube20: Might - Page 11 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #151 of 375 (permalink) Old 04-02-2009, 04:00 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

I read and heard that trimming Microsword encourages it to spread more quickly. I decided to try it just now. As a result of doing so, I see that I like the look of this tank much more with a very short carpet of Mini Microsword. I'm going to keep it trimmed to around this height.

Now the Staurogyne is much more visible.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 375 (permalink) Old 04-02-2009, 05:26 AM
Algae Grower

Send a message via MSN to asimkhatri Send a message via Yahoo to asimkhatri
I love ur all tanks beautiful..
I must say awsome

Regards
Asim

post #153 of 375 (permalink) Old 04-03-2009, 03:32 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Thanks, asimkhatri! Haven't seen you around in a while.

Currently, all of my love for this hobby is being poured onto this tank. Riven Impact and Source are still near and dear to my heart, but it's this tank that's The One, in capital letters.

I don't test my water. Once every other month or so, I'll check pH, but that's about it.
This should not be interpreted as me not caring about water parameters, however. I care a great deal. What I don't care for is testing the water.
Matching colors and reading numbers bore me.
Besides, what's important to me is what those colors and numbers represent and what those colors and numbers represent can be learned without a single test kit.
In Quasi-Wabi, the main things I look for are algae, pearling, and shrimp behavior.
Algae tells me if there are too many nutrients and/or too little CO2.
Pearling tells me if my DIY CO2 is being produced in sufficient quantity and that it's being absorbed into the water column.
The shrimp let me know if everything is in balance. If things are spot on, they will not freak when I put my hand in the tank to trim or clean. If things are really spot on, they climb on my hand, chopstick, glass scraper, et cetera as a way to say, "Right on, bro. Thanks for this cool place to live. Very comfy, I must say."
There are dozens of other little things I look for, but most of them sit on the subconscious level.
I learned all this because, I believe, I cut my teeth in this hobby in nanos. The major drawback to a nano turns out to be it's single greatest blessing.
Here:
The razor-thin causality inherent in a smaller tank allows a person to see quite quickly exactly what causes what. While this can come to bite a person in the proverbial butt in the case of, say, an ammonia spike, it also allows a person to see, for example, that positioning the outflow in a certain way, increases CO2 absorption; visible vis--vis pearling thirty minutes sooner than with the previous outflow positioning.
What's my point?
I don't have one. I just felt like saying all that.
Pressed to give a point, I'd say:
You don't need test kits. Just a love of the game.
post #154 of 375 (permalink) Old 04-03-2009, 03:49 AM
CL
C-A-T-S

That mp is awesome. I finally had mine grown into a nice big chunk (currently one of my favorite plants) and it started melting I also had my entire ug field melt in a different tank right when it was almost filled in

post #155 of 375 (permalink) Old 04-03-2009, 03:59 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

What happened, cl?
post #156 of 375 (permalink) Old 04-03-2009, 04:01 AM
CL
C-A-T-S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugly Genius View Post
What happened, cl?
idk, I also had one of my prized anubias nanas (the first specimen that I ever bought- about 2 yrs old) completely melt on me in my big tank. It's killing me

post #157 of 375 (permalink) Old 04-03-2009, 04:11 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

That friggin' sucks, man. I feel for you. Lemme know if you need any plants to get you back in the game when you get your tanks settled.

When that happened to me in this tank, it was bleach. Eventually, everything bounced back though. So don't give up. That Mini Pellia I gave you died once and came back to life. It's a soldier.
post #158 of 375 (permalink) Old 04-03-2009, 04:24 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugly Genius View Post
The shrimp let me know if everything is in balance. If things are spot on, they will not freak when I put my hand in the tank to trim or clean. If things are really spot on, they climb on my hand, chopstick, glass scraper, et cetera as a way to say, "Right on, bro. Thanks for this cool place to live. Very comfy, I must say."
Greatly enjoyed your whole speech on testing, but I must say this was my favorite part!

29g Journal 10g journal 15g Journal
"Modesty is the only sure bait when fishing for praise."
post #159 of 375 (permalink) Old 04-03-2009, 04:30 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Does the Staroguyne (however you spell it) creep sideways or grow straight up?

Eheim Classic 2213
Eheim Pimp #341

post #160 of 375 (permalink) Old 04-03-2009, 04:34 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Thanks, fast!

Zoo, I've seen it do both in photos. It's too soon to tell how it'll grow for me. So far it's growing sideways and creeping up slightly. It's a super cool plant. I didn't think I'd enjoy it as much as I am.
post #161 of 375 (permalink) Old 04-03-2009, 05:17 PM
Wannabe Guru

Send a message via MSN to garuf
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZooTycoonMaster View Post
Does the Staroguyne (however you spell it) creep sideways or grow straight up?
Not particularly, it tends to form bushy solitary plants, you have to cut and replant tips to get the best out of it.
post #162 of 375 (permalink) Old 04-04-2009, 01:14 AM
Algae Grower

UG, I must say, I've read through most of your two other journals, but this tank is my favorite. It's beautiful; and it continues to improve as it fills out.

I like it so much that it's convinced me (actually, I convinced myself, through a complex set of rationalizations, but this journal didn't help matters ) to purchase my own small tank, a mini-L, for my office.

I think I remember reading in another of your threads that your only fertilizer is Brighty-K, is that true? Have you made any adjustments? Have any wisdom to share?

Last edited by quicktap; 04-04-2009 at 01:58 PM. Reason: typo
post #163 of 375 (permalink) Old 04-04-2009, 05:45 AM
Algae Grower

Send a message via MSN to asimkhatri Send a message via Yahoo to asimkhatri
I was busy..

Regards
Asim

post #164 of 375 (permalink) Old 04-04-2009, 06:13 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Thanks a lot, quicktap! A lot of nice things you said there. Appreciate it.
Have fun with that Mini-L! Have you decided what type of hardscape you're going to do?
To answer your question...generally speaking, yes. With Aqua Soil, I've found it's for the most part unnecessary to dose anything but potassium.
A couple of caveats:
  • I don't keep high-light tanks. Dosing gets much more complicated -- too complicated to be fun for me -- in high-light tanks.1
  • I change water like most people shower: at least once a day.
  • I use Aqua Soil in all my tanks.
Take Source for instance, I didn't even dose K until a week ago. It didn't need it. I think a lot of people underestimate the value that a nutrient-rich substrate like Aqua Soil brings to tank.
This is to say, if you didn't order any other macros or micros besides K, you'd still be fine for months as long as you had Aqua Soil. At least, that's been my experience.

_____
1. When setting up a tank, I don't even consider the overall concepts of "high-" and "low-" light. Instead, I lean towards using -- where possible -- the lowest lighting level I can get away with to grow what I want the way I want it to grow.2

2. Look at that! A footnote of a footnote.3 Case in point, Glosso. I tend to use Glosso a lot, so when watching the tank for the first time, I'll place a sprig of Glosso at the lowest point of the substrate. If after a couple of weeks, it does not carpet, I know that I have to either increase the overall wattage poured onto the tank or lower the light source to closer to the water's surface. Most often, Glosso will carpet in a nano with well under what would be considered high-light. I believe this to be because the distance the light has to travel to hit the substrate is relatively short when compared to larger tanks in which the light must travel two feet or more in some cases. Generally speaking, once you can get Glosso to carpet in a nano, you can grow pretty much any plant considered high-light.4 I've found that four point five watts per gallon (well spread) in a nano is strong enough to grow pretty much anything. Another way of saying all that is: an increase of just one watt provides significantly more to a nano that it does to a bigger tank; so be careful about jumping up too quickly.

3. Would that make it a toenote?

4. To end all of this footnote foolishness and sum up what should have been said back in the first footnote, I believe that the best tanks are the tanks that have just enough (JE) light. Not a watt more, not a watt less.5

5. Now that I reread my first footnote, I see that I did say just that.6

6. Which is to say that not only were these footnotes needlessly confusing, they were also too numerous (by five), repetitious, and, let's be honest, kinda stupid.7

7. Sorry.
post #165 of 375 (permalink) Old 04-04-2009, 06:44 AM
CL
C-A-T-S

lol!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode