ADA Mini-S Tank: General opinions wanted - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 54 (permalink) Old 01-04-2009, 07:44 PM
Algae Grower

bookmarked..
this is a very good journal and i'm more curious about the LED..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 54 (permalink) Old 01-04-2009, 08:22 PM
CL
C-A-T-S

Wow, the led looks nice. I think it's quite possible to have the "shimmer" effect of a metal halide. Get some pics of the 60-F!

post #18 of 54 (permalink) Old 01-05-2009, 09:47 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

ADA 60-F Tank as well

I just set up the ADA 60-F tank this evening, it's literally hours old but I thought I'd take a couple photos of it. It really needs to go into another thread but I wanted to share a couple quick photos:

If people are interested I'll get some photos posted on a new thread for the 60-F tank. Keep in mind it's just going to be a "garden" for me to grow and multiply the plants I have for other tanks. It's not getting any rocks or any aquascaping other than ADA soil for plant growth. After the tank has cycled it will get my standard set of workers: SAEs, pea puffer for snails, and Amano shrimp to help keep algae under control.

Dennis
post #19 of 54 (permalink) Old 01-05-2009, 10:17 AM
CL
C-A-T-S

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcentire View Post
I just set up the ADA 60-F tank this evening, it's literally hours old but I thought I'd take a couple photos of it. It really needs to go into another thread but I wanted to share a couple quick photos:

If people are interested I'll get some photos posted on a new thread for the 60-F tank. Keep in mind it's just going to be a "garden" for me to grow and multiply the plants I have for other tanks. It's not getting any rocks or any aquascaping other than ADA soil for plant growth. After the tank has cycled it will get my standard set of workers: SAEs, pea puffer for snails, and Amano shrimp to help keep algae under control.

Dennis
Wow! Those dimensions are a lot better than I expected. If only it were a couple inches taller it would be perfect for an awesome scape!

post #20 of 54 (permalink) Old 01-05-2009, 12:12 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by clwatkins10 View Post
Wow! Those dimensions are a lot better than I expected. If only it were a couple inches taller it would be perfect for an awesome scape!
That's whatI was thinking.

Craig

Rebooting...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdwill View Post
"C'mon, they're just plants, man, no big deal -- try some"
post #21 of 54 (permalink) Old 01-05-2009, 09:10 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thanks for the awesome photo. I've been thinking of getting a 60-F for a while! looks so sick!
post #22 of 54 (permalink) Old 01-06-2009, 04:36 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

The Aqua!Do Tank Details

I finally took some detailed photos of the Aqua!Do tank for you guys. The glass has the same beveled edge properties of the ADA tanks, and also seems to me to be almost if not exactly as clear as the ADA equivalent. In fact, I liked it so much I went ahead and got AFA's last Do!Aqua tank, they had a Mini-M sized one left for $45.

Thanks for reading,

Dennis
post #23 of 54 (permalink) Old 01-06-2009, 04:59 PM
Planted Member

Great pictures. The construction looks the same as ADA. The only thing that may be different on the Do!Aqua tanks is the glass quality, it looks like greener glass (even though I'd still buy them). I could be wrong about the glass quality though since it's hard to compare.

def

jbj 24dx red sea paintball co2
ada mini m
post #24 of 54 (permalink) Old 01-06-2009, 07:09 PM
Got wood???

I like the scape, anxious to see more about the lighting.

post #25 of 54 (permalink) Old 01-06-2009, 07:37 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

post #26 of 54 (permalink) Old 01-15-2009, 08:44 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Updated photos with stand

I finally moved the tank and set it up at my office, which is where I always wanted this little guy to be. A lot of people at work have stopped by to see the setup and are all very impressed, which makes me happy! I put the tank on a $30 stand I got at PetSmart, and drilled it accordingly to support the mini canister filter and the CO2 setup. The top right door hides the filter and CO2 bubble counter, check valve, and needle valve. The tank itself sits behind the stand.

I am taking the LED light contraption over to Steven at Aqua Forest in San Francisco tomorrow to get his opinion of it. I have figured out a way to mount two of those LED lamps to an old Pentium II heat sink which is much wider than the standard square type of CPU fans in use today. That will be pretty neat when I get that worked out.

I got in contact with a friend of mine who runs a machine shop about trying to fashion a curved metal housing for the LED lighting. I also tried out a cold cathode tube lighting system and it ended up looking JUST like the light that is on there now. I changed the light out from the small 13W to the 24 watt lamp shown here, available at AFA.

The cold cathode lamps run very cool and require less power than the CF lamp shown here. They are typically used inside computers to show them off. I'll let you know how that works out if there is any interest in it.

Thanks for reading.

Dennis
post #27 of 54 (permalink) Old 01-18-2009, 09:55 AM
Algae Grower

Send a message via AIM to BTDarters
Dennis,

That is freakin' awesome!!!

Brian

Brian J. Torreano - Owner
BTDarters -
post #28 of 54 (permalink) Old 01-18-2009, 02:37 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

post #29 of 54 (permalink) Old 01-18-2009, 02:59 PM
Planted Member

Like the new stand and placement. The scape looks real nice.

def

jbj 24dx red sea paintball co2
ada mini m
post #30 of 54 (permalink) Old 01-18-2009, 11:47 PM
Wannabe Guru

wow. the Do!Aqua tanks look nice.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode