The Planted Tank Forum banner

'Galaxy Jungle' CRASH!!

40K views 193 replies 39 participants last post by  A Hill 
#1 · (Edited)
Okay so I noticed that I have a LOT of extra stuff laying around since I had to buy some big bags of stuff for my picotope. So I'm hauling an old ten gallon out of my basement and setting it up as well! I have forgotten how much I love fish tanks! Aquariums rule.

Here is the tank now. Hideous, eh? I painted this 'Starry Night' type background a longtime ago. Needs to go. There have never been fish in here, I had hoped to sell this hideous tank and never did. Giggle.

Here we go again!

See less See more
#2 ·
Well...I only had glossy black paint in my house and it is snowing hard so I didn't want to go out. So I started to paint the back with the glossy...it's a pain in the butt to get it to stick. It's working, but really slowly.

#4 ·
For a nice 'fun' tank for some one who really isn't into aquascaping I this it would work. But for a nice planted tank I felt pure black was the way to go.

I used to work for petsmart and this woman came in and bought neon mixed colour gravel, neon plastic plants, neon roman themed ornaments, and bright blue background plastic.

Arrrrgggghhhh!!!!! Puke.

Then she came back and bough six black mollies.

People are so strange.

#5 ·
Decided to bite the proverbial bullet and do a DIY CO2, I was going to try sticking the tube into the impeller of the filter. I'm scared. giggle. Never done CO2 before, I'm terrified that I'll end up killing fish.

I want to be careful cause my plan for this tank is to breed Galaxy Danio from an already captive bred source. I'm so taken by this fish that I want to help the captive bred population to hopefully reduce it from being snatched from the wild.

#8 ·
Decided to bite the proverbial bullet and do a DIY CO2, I was going to try sticking the tube into the impeller of the filter. I'm scared. giggle. Never done CO2 before, I'm terrified that I'll end up killing fish.

I want to be careful cause my plan for this tank is to breed Galaxy Danio from an already captive bred source. I'm so taken by this fish that I want to help the captive bred population to hopefully reduce it from being snatched from the wild.
good luck with the CPDs. they are really fun fish.
oh and btw, the name people use now is Celestial Pearl Danio (CPD). they used to be Galaxy Rasbora, but never Galaxy Danio.

#7 ·
Okay, that's good!

I don't have any update pics yet cause it took ALL day to put that evil glossy paint on the back. Grrrrr...not doing that again, next time I'm taking the time to get my butt out of the house and get the right paint! giggle.

I'll have more pics later today.

your avatar rocks my socks

#10 ·
Okay, so it still isn't much to look at. This is as full as I can get it on one tank of RO water. I need to wait a few hours for the RO tank to refill. I took the large Anub out of my pico and tied it to this driftwood. The picotank looks much better without it, the plant was just too big for that space.

The big piece of driftwood used to be about four times bigger (no kidding, it's a HUGE chunk that used to barely fit in my 75, don't know what I was thinking) and I spent an hour sawing this bit off.

I wish I had more sand for this, there is just barely enough. But the point of this tank is to do the set up with 'things I find around the house'...think of it as a MacGyver tank. Giggle.

#11 ·
Rekles75 was so nice and sent me some plants! Some of them can be seen here. I took the Anub and Nana out of the pico and placed them here (they were too big for the other tank) and put some of the new plants from Rekles in the pico. According to theory the moss type plant on the rock under the mesh should grow into a carpet.

#15 ·
Much bigger, he's a shot of it with a windex bottle for scale, you can see where I cut it. I also knocked the shale off so I could use it on the new bit. It's a massive bit of wood. giggle.

Thank! I was very much going for the tree in water look!

#19 ·
Yeah, that's what I would guess too. It's actually 75. My refelector...SUCKS!!! Or rather does not exist. Thinking of adding a bit of tin foil to bump it up a notch. Good idea, yes no? I'm adding CO2.

Glad you like the driftwood! It's my fav part.

#21 ·
CF lighting, 5500K. I know...isn't it the oddest thing? I would never personally have guessed 75.

I mean is it a proper metal, white on the inside reflector hood, built and designed for this job! It sucks at it's job. I bought it a few years ago back when I didn't care about plants.

Okay, off to try some tin.

#22 ·
Okay, pull out the tin foil and coated the inside of my 'reflector' and here are the results. I still wouldn't guess 75 on this, but now I think it's up to looking more like 30-40.

Now I can see all the Cam and the edge of the drift and more of the back. It's not a day/night change, but I do think it's a change.

Comments?

Before:

After:

#23 ·
Oh you can also see that I bought a bit of Frogbit. I LOVE it! Giggle. They also had Crystal Red Shrimp there and I just loved the look of them. So amazing. This place had yellow, red, snowball, blueberry, bamboo, ghost, tiger, and bee shrimp! It was the first time I'd been there, it was way cool!

#24 ·
I just bought some HC on ebay and I'm thinking of building up the sand on the left side of the tank, so here's the question: does HC need to have plant substrate or will it grow well in sand (I will be using liquid Plant Gold and Flourish Excel)?

Not only do I not want to buy more plant sub, but I also hate the idea of trying to get it in the tank now that it is full. Sigh.

#27 ·
My rector is the very simple 2L bottle with the blue tubing siliconed into it with the hose passing through checkvalve and then threaded into a hole I drilled on the bottom of the intake of my HOB. I can hear each little bubble hitting the impeller, about once a second. I did the jello trick as well.

It was so easy that I'm building a little one for my pico.

I can easily get some root tabs down there and I'm already planing on the liquid fert. I guess we'll see what happens.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.