'Galaxy Jungle' CRASH!! - Page 3 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 194 (permalink) Old 01-02-2009, 07:53 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I'm not buying a canister for my ten gallon tank, so I need a different solution.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 194 (permalink) Old 01-02-2009, 08:07 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix-cry View Post
I'm not buying a canister for my ten gallon tank, so I need a different solution.
Have you checked out the Zoo Med 501? They are perfect for a 10 gallon, and they are like $38 on Amazon. I just ordered one for my 10 gallon.
post #33 of 194 (permalink) Old 01-02-2009, 08:07 PM
Planted Tank Guru

How bout a powerhead? Just stick the CO2 tubing into the intake and the impeller will chop up the bubbles

Eheim Classic 2213
Eheim Pimp #341

post #34 of 194 (permalink) Old 01-02-2009, 08:16 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I'm getting tiny, tiny bubbles on the surface, will they leech CO2 into the water or just the surface?

I'd like to avoid adding a powerhead to such a small tank, if I have no choice I will, as for the zoo med, I've already spent all the money I can on this tank right now.
post #35 of 194 (permalink) Old 01-03-2009, 12:54 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix-cry View Post
I'm getting tiny, tiny bubbles on the surface, will they leech CO2 into the water or just the surface?

I'd like to avoid adding a powerhead to such a small tank, if I have no choice I will, as for the zoo med, I've already spent all the money I can on this tank right now.
Understood. I have a beautiful 90 gallon sitting in my shed right now because I dont have the funds to set it up.
post #36 of 194 (permalink) Old 01-03-2009, 01:22 AM
Algae Grower

I understand not wanting to add any equipment into the tank. On my 30 gallon I have two DIY Co2 bottles going, they each run into powerheads on opposite sides of the tank. At first I was annoyed that I had these 2 hunks of plastic in the tank, but they do great to defuse the CO2-I have the CO2 going into the intake of the powerhead (also a sponge over the intakes so they won't get clogged), I also cut a little piece of sponge and put it on the output of the powerhead, that seems to help break up the Co2 bubbles even more. Once I saw how good the powerheads were at diffusing the CO2, I got past the equipment in the tank...I just hid them behind some steam plants....maybe you could hide the powerhead behind the driftwood on the left?

EHEIM Pimp #334 - Classic 2217
Filstar Pimp #147 - XP2

What if your words could be judged like a crime?
post #37 of 194 (permalink) Old 01-03-2009, 01:59 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Another problem with adding more stuff is that I'm kinda over working the outlet as it is. I'm going to try the limewood airstone under a HOB that has a sponge on it (actually there to keep little fish safe). If that doesn't work out I'll break down and...and...get a powerhead.
post #38 of 194 (permalink) Old 01-03-2009, 10:44 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Pearling! I have pearling! The R. Moss is pearling like crazy!

The pH did take a dip when I added the CO2 (down to 6 something right now)...methinks my ancient hardness test needs replacing. The water must have been too soft.

The plants can take the swing though, right? I should have things stablized in a week or so.
post #39 of 194 (permalink) Old 01-04-2009, 01:05 AM
Wannabe Guru

Send a message via AIM to FrostyNYC
Looks really good. Since you're using CF, you sort of have a spotlight effect in the middle of the tank, shining directly onto an anubias which probably doesnt need all that light. You might consider moving the anubias over to the left out of the spotlight once the stems behind it grow in.

What is R. moss?
post #40 of 194 (permalink) Old 01-04-2009, 01:54 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Ricca moss or something like that.

Yeah, the spotlight annoys me and I know the Anub doesn't need all that light, but that's how the driftwood fit best.

Is it going to hurt the Anub? Cause if not I kinda like it where it is.
post #41 of 194 (permalink) Old 01-04-2009, 02:01 AM
Wannabe Guru

Send a message via AIM to FrostyNYC
It won't hurt the anubias, but if you start to see algae on the leaves, I'd move it.

And ooo Riccia. I think most people here just call it Riccia since it's technically a liverwort and not a moss. Looks great when it's pearling, I agree.
post #42 of 194 (permalink) Old 01-04-2009, 02:12 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Ah! I got it from someone here and he wasn't 100% on what it was. It is pearling like mad!

I'm going to go look at a 20 gallon tank that's listed on craigslist so I might be even taking all of this out and switching over.
post #43 of 194 (permalink) Old 01-04-2009, 04:27 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Pearling! I have pearling! The R. Moss is pearling like crazy!

The pH did take a dip when I added the CO2 (down to 6 something right now)...methinks my ancient hardness test needs replacing. The water must have been too soft.

The plants can take the swing though, right? I should have things stablized in a week or so.
How did you end up diffusing the Co2 into the tank? I'm curious b/c I'm setting up a 10 gallon and may need Co2, I also don't really want to have a powerhead in my tank, or pay for a powerhead either.

EHEIM Pimp #334 - Classic 2217
Filstar Pimp #147 - XP2

What if your words could be judged like a crime?
post #44 of 194 (permalink) Old 01-04-2009, 03:10 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

When I have the pH drop I just had the CO2 going to a normal airstone at the bottom of the tank under the HOB.

I've been told to try a limewood airstone since they make such tiny bubbles and put that at the bottom of the tank under the HOB. So that's the set up I'm going to use, and if I don't get 100% of my CO2...well too bad. giggle.
post #45 of 194 (permalink) Old 01-04-2009, 10:01 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Here is my pearling on the riccia! Squeee! I'm so excited. All the riccia used to be under the mess, but it is growing up out of it like madness...this is just four days of growth.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode