ADA Mini-M: Source - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 766 (permalink) Old 11-04-2008, 02:00 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Thanks, marko and fishman. If I stay in this hobby long enough, I'll probably upgrade to a five pound container of CO2. I was seriously considering getting one prior to getting the ADA system, but my need for things pretty overruled that quite quickly.

Thanks, fish. Yeah, I really recommend a low-maintenance tank. Intricate, heavily-planted 'scapes are wonderful to look at but a pain to live with. I think we should all keep one or two of the high-maintenance ones just to prove that we can do it, but we also need a low-maintenance beauty that when you come home to her, she says, "Let's just chill, baby. You and me. Nothing fancy, nothing special. Just you and me."
Yeah, we all need one of those.

dylanserbin and connordude27, ktsgolfer is correct. Aqua Forest Aquarium in SF for sixty, an outflow, and intake respectively.

You're right, Viettxboii; the spire does look a bit boring right now. But this is one of those things where you're going to have to trust me. I know this tank does not look like all that much right now, but I really do believe that when it fills in -- that is, if it fills in -- the way I see it in my mind's eye, that it'll look alright. (But if you've followed my journal on Riven, you'll know that I am constantly tinkering with my tanks and one never knows where this thing'll end up. Heck, knowing me I might even have Christmas lights strung around the spire or some crazy somesuch.)

pbfreakon, I love the Zoo Med. Prefect flow for a five point five gallon. I highly recommend it.

I swapped the Archaea for the Ott-lites. Look...

The raddest part of this photo is my MacBook basking in the glow of twenty-six watts of ten thousand k.

Here's a closer full tank shot.

I moved the Anubias down a bit and tucked a bit of Mini Java Fern behind the spire.
I also added a RCS that I rescued from dying. (Long, sad, ultimately boring story.)

And that's that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 766 (permalink) Old 11-04-2008, 02:07 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Nice looking tank, UG Will it turn out as beautiful as Riven?

Eheim Classic 2213
Eheim Pimp #341

post #18 of 766 (permalink) Old 11-04-2008, 02:10 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZooTycoonMaster View Post
Nice looking tank, UG Will it turn out as beautiful as Riven?
Thanks, Zoo. Let's hope it doesn't turn out like Riven. Riven and I aren't seeing eye-to-eye right now. Let's call it a break. She and I are going to have a talk this weekend to see exactly where that relationship is going. I'm going to give her an ultimatum: the algae or me.
post #19 of 766 (permalink) Old 11-04-2008, 02:34 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Send a message via AIM to deleted_user_16
that heater looks slick, got it at AFA? the otolites somehow look nice on it. and the mini java fern, does it actually stay mini? i may have to get me some
post #20 of 766 (permalink) Old 11-04-2008, 02:57 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Thanks, fishman. The heater is from way back when. I think my brother got it back when he was into keeping bettas. I think he got it from the fish/flower shop on Clement. It's a cool little heater.
I'm liking the Ott-lites on this tank. I cannot stress this enough, Ott-lites are perfect for ADA Mini-Ss and Mini-Ms. Perfect. (Although they need to be raised one and a quarter inch on the Mini-M.)
Mini Java Fern will, assuming you bought a real Mini Java Fern, stay small. They get about four inches high. It's a good plant. One of my staples.
post #21 of 766 (permalink) Old 11-04-2008, 03:15 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Send a message via AIM to deleted_user_16
looks quite new, haha :P

that java fern seems to be perfect for applying to driftwood then, doesnt get too big and compliments well.
post #22 of 766 (permalink) Old 11-04-2008, 09:59 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

lowering the anubias seems to have balanced things out a little more, rather then drawing the attention up its now spread out through out the whole tank.

and that DW reminds me of "pride rock" in the lion king, lol now you just need a picture of a shrimp sitting on the top over looking his kingdom
post #23 of 766 (permalink) Old 11-05-2008, 03:44 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

i believe ada sells that "Y" connection and they use speed controllers to control the co2 flow. u could try that
post #24 of 766 (permalink) Old 11-05-2008, 08:59 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

aww man u switched out your lights nah i think those ott-lites look pretty cool plus you probably have a more even spread of light over your tank. btw where did you get those? this layout looks pretty cool!! im really digging the rocks and the DW. keep on doing what your doing

Current tank: Project 60-P Decomissioned tanks: Resun 3.6g l ADA Mini-M

post #25 of 766 (permalink) Old 11-05-2008, 03:11 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

i have something very similar, i got mine from zellers, but i know walmart up here has em. being canadian its hard to compare who has what but its a good place to start no?
post #26 of 766 (permalink) Old 11-06-2008, 02:13 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

While I wait for my pizza delivery to arrive, here's a photo of Source looking pretty much like it did two days ago.

No real noticeable growth, but that was to be expected.

I moved the Mini Java Fern to the back. (It's not yet visible, but will eventually grow in the crux of the V in the driftwood.)

fishman, yeah, the Mini Java Fern is a great plant.

fish, you're right about the Anubias. Even when I set it up, I knew it didn't belong there, but there was a nook perfect for a stem of Anubias and I could not resist putting it there. Eventually, it got on my nerves -- cool nook or not -- and I put it where I initially intended.
As for the DW -- which is actually two pieces I fit together -- is really cool. I love it. I'll try to get a Lion King photo. It'd be even cooler if the shrimp was carrying a fry in it's claws and all the other shrimp bowed down.

I'll check something like that out trigun.

hyphination, yeah, the lamp's unbalanced spread was irking me to no end. The Archaea is on Riven where it's doing just fine for the Mini-S's size. The Ott's I got from Home Depot for hella cheap. (Don't buy them at Amazon in the link -- they can be found for $34.00 or cheaper.) They have them at Frys here in the BA, but I don't know about Hawaii. I'm telling you, for a Mini-M or Mini-S, there is no better lighting. At 13W a piece, placeable where ever you want...perfect.
And thanks! Sometimes I get the feeling that people aren't feeling this tank, but I'm going by what my gut tells me to do here and it's scary thinking maybe I'm making aesthetic mistakes that everyone sees but me. Your comment means a lot to me.

asimkhatri, thanks, man. I really appreciate that.

fish, in your last post were you talking about the lights? If so, hyphination if they have Walmarts in Hawaii, try there.

Pizza's still not here. I'm hungry.

Way off topic, Gears of War 2 comes out on Friday and I have four days off in a row. I don't think it's possible for my dork side to get any happier. (That's not entirely true. If I suddenly got the Force or spider powers, that'd make me pretty happy, too.)
[For you non-dorks out there, Gears of War 2 is a video game. It's pretty frickin' cool.]

Sweet! My pizza's here.
post #27 of 766 (permalink) Old 11-06-2008, 02:39 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugly Genius View Post

You're right, Viettxboii; the spire does look a bit boring right now. But this is one of those things where you're going to have to trust me. I know this tank does not look like all that much right now, but I really do believe that when it fills in -- that is, if it fills in -- the way I see it in my mind's eye, that it'll look alright. (But if you've followed my journal on Riven, you'll know that I am constantly tinkering with my tanks and one never knows where this thing'll end up. Heck, knowing me I might even have Christmas lights strung around the spire or some crazy somesuch.)
Got ya, anyways you tinker around with your tanks alot.
Wish i did, i'm really lazy with my tanks, i barely even trim.
However i'm planning to reinvigorate both of my tanks soon, looking to you for some inspiration./
post #28 of 766 (permalink) Old 11-06-2008, 09:31 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

yeah if i get one of the ADA mini's ill definitely pick those up.
you know to some people(like me), its the comments that fuel you to keep on keeping on. lol. yea i know thats from Joe Dirt. anyways i get really sad whenever i hear that GoW2 is coming out. its an awesome game dont get me wrong but i probably wont have anytime to play it, even on my days off. and even if i do get it my grades will suffer big time. wth who am i kidding lets play some rank!!!

Current tank: Project 60-P Decomissioned tanks: Resun 3.6g l ADA Mini-M

post #29 of 766 (permalink) Old 11-06-2008, 09:49 AM
Algae Grower

i honestly love this hardscape. im feeling the dhg filling in and everything will be awesome. keep us posted.
post #30 of 766 (permalink) Old 11-07-2008, 01:31 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

I hear ya about not trimming, Viettxboii. I HATE trimming tanks. It's for this very reason that I picked the plants I did for Source.
Mini Pellia was chosen over Christmas Moss, my favorite moss, because it needs very little trimming; Anubias Nana "Petite" and Mini Java Fern actually look better the less you trim them; and Dwarf Hairgrass because it does not grow up like Glosso and HC.
I have a two and a half gallon tank that I'm thinking of scaping soonish. I personally love two point five gallon tanks. You can grow anything in them with thirteen watts, Excel, and a small filter. Great tanks.

Thanks, hyphination. I'll be picking up GoW2 tomorrow for sure. Maybe I'll see you, and some other of you, online sometime. I'm Ugly Genius or uglygenius, I forget.

Thanks, ktsgolfer. I really appreciate that. The Dwarf Hairgrass is throwing down roots pretty deep, so hopefully, it'll carpet soon.

Here are some random shots I just took.

Manten stones look better when you crack them open, in my opinion. These are the same as the stones in Riven, but these have been cracked open. The pores make them look more interesting, I think.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode