ADA Mini-M: Source - Page 11 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #151 of 766 (permalink) Old 01-07-2009, 04:40 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Craig, I missed your question about the CO2. Yeah, it's the ADA Advanced CO2 System. I turn it on with the lights and turn it off when I turn them off.
This weekend I bought the three pack so now I have all the "flavors". You know, they say these things have a fragrance, but I've yet to smell anything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 766 (permalink) Old 01-07-2009, 05:14 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugly Genius View Post
Dollface, I'm thinking of a Mini-L.
Right before I read your post, I was thinking of having UG on the right and Glosso on the left. Just let them race to the center to see who wins. It might be neat. Kind of like how I mixed HC and Glosso in Riven when I first set it up.
Tell you what. I'll do it. You only live once, right? Never seen a mixed carpet of Glosso, UG, and HG.
Mini-L, That's what I meant to say. I'm getting my Minis mixed up. There's just so many of them. )8

Awesome, I can't wait to see how it works for you. the plan for my goldfish tanks is to just toss as many plants in emersed and let them duke it out for forground supremecy.

Wabi Kusa is just an Aquascape Katamari
post #153 of 766 (permalink) Old 01-07-2009, 11:20 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Craig, I missed your question about the CO2. Yeah, it's the ADA Advanced CO2 System. I turn it on with the lights and turn it off when I turn them off.
This weekend I bought the three pack so now I have all the "flavors". You know, they say these things have a fragrance, but I've yet to smell anything.
Do you use the solenoid to shut if off or do it manually via a ball valve. Sorry for the questions but I may upgrade shortly from my paintball to the ada setup and its hard to find clear ada info I can read.

Craig

Rebooting...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdwill View Post
"C'mon, they're just plants, man, no big deal -- try some"
post #154 of 766 (permalink) Old 01-07-2009, 01:59 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Hey. Craig. I use the valve. It's good this way in that I don't have to adjust the pressure every day. The valve shuts it off and starts it up with the exact same bps.
And don't worry about asking questions. I'm happy to be of help, so ask away.

Dollface, back when I first started this hobby, I got into it via Goldfish. I had a Ryukin named Sam. I got him for Zooey. (Zooey loves to watch fish.) Eventually, I started to read about the effects of plants on fish health, then I saw my first planted tank at Nippon Goldfish (R.I.P.) here in the City, and it was all downhill from there. I love Goldfish, I just wish they were more considerate of my carefully selected, planted, and nurtured plants. I recall thinking at the time that rather than try to breed different shaped Goldfish, someone should breed a planted tank-friendly Goldfish.
post #155 of 766 (permalink) Old 01-07-2009, 09:39 PM
Anti iwagumi

Quote:
Yeah, I want the 45-P because it's a better footprint, but I'm a sucker for the Mini-S, -M, -L thing. A complete set.
But, chris127, wasn't there one other dude with a 45-P? I thought I saw one not too long ago. (Love the avatar, by the way. I'm just now completing Halo 3 on Legendary. I finished on Normal and Heroic countless times, but never on Legendary. I have to start playing online again.)
the only thread ive seen of a 45cm ADA was a Mini L, it was a great scape but i just love the depth of the 45P, its an inch more than a L. Legendary isnt that bad, just get a friend and run through it its been a while since i played halo, ive been too tied up with COD4 and 5
post #156 of 766 (permalink) Old 01-07-2009, 11:14 PM
Planted Tank Guru

It all started for me with a couple of anacharis stems that actually grew. I was hooked. My first time in AFA pretty much cemented it.
(and Zooey is my kind of dog. I love watching fish, fish and birds.)

Plant friendly goldfish, if only, my 7" comet in perticular has decimated multiple anubias plants, java ferns, and I don't even want to think about the stems I've put in there. /shudder
I think if the 'well, leafy plants don't work, stems dont work, I guess i'm left with grass' approach doesn't work, I will indeed give up on a nice planted goldfish tank, and go the way of everyone else in this hobby, tetras.

I would say shrimp, but i'm going to do a shrimp tank anyway. (I love watching shrimp, they're so quirky. So I guess it's fish, birds, and shrimp.)

Wabi Kusa is just an Aquascape Katamari
post #157 of 766 (permalink) Old 01-09-2009, 01:43 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Water's a tad clearer than it was in the last picture. The cloudiness you now see is not the result of the pruning a few days back, but a perpetual bacterial bloom I've been having for the past two weeks. I'm not too worried about it, but it'd be nice if it would do it's thing and be on it's way. Cloudy water sucks.

I haven't really changed anything except to change the ugly wire mesh that the Mini Riccia was attached to with a Riccia stone. Looks much better.

This weekend, I'll plant the UG on the right and let the UG vs. Glosso race begin.

Oh, if you look at the rock to the right of the driftwood, you'll see an Oto! UG has a fish! Two, actually. Got 'em yesterday.

Anyway, in this photo, you can kind of see what's in my mind's eye. An explosion of HG in the back, a left-hand carpet of Glosso, a center accent of Mini Riccia, and a right-hand carpet of UG. (It'll be much lower that that absurdly huge bunch I now have. And this time, unlike how I planted it in Riven Revolutions, I'm sticking them in deep. Real deep.)
post #158 of 766 (permalink) Old 01-09-2009, 02:09 AM
CL
Planted Tank Guru

Wow, I really like the HG! It's a winner for sure!

post #159 of 766 (permalink) Old 01-09-2009, 02:12 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Nice.
Riccia stones are just flat black rocks right ?
I need something nice rocks for Riccia ... too much of the stuff around .
Tank is looking great.
Wish i had some hairgrass around here . ;(

Anyways for the race... i say i be the flag waver HAHA
post #160 of 766 (permalink) Old 01-09-2009, 02:46 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Thanks, cl. I wasn't feeling the HG in the front before the "yank", but with it just in the back, I think it looks pretty good. Meaning, I actually like that it's the tall type. It serves the additional benefit of eliminating the need for a background because I think in a few weeks the entire back of the tank will be obscured by it.

Thanks, Viettxboii. Yeah, Riccia stones are just flat black stones. I think anything flat, heavy, and non-toxic would be fine.
Are you serious? You don't have HG in Canada?

Mini Pellia up close. Nuthin' looks better than MP up close.
post #161 of 766 (permalink) Old 01-09-2009, 03:05 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Well Edmonton in general.
I can't go to the auctions for hte local fishclub which i heard is full of goodies, i just can't seem to locate any at the stores here.
Hell my HC was shipped to me from a another city.
But yeah Hairgrass of any kind would be a pleasant find for me .
I'm stucking subbing in e tenellus for now which isn't bad.
Especially for when my 3 nano tanks come in ( all 3 are .. 14x12x10 .. two for friends one for me, see who comes up with best scape ..)

But yes locating nice plants is somewhat of a pain here >_<.

You must have it pretty easy in San Francisco hey ?
post #162 of 766 (permalink) Old 01-09-2009, 07:55 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Your tank looks very nice, clouded or not. I'm glad to see you have a fish. Ottos are cool, some times I think mine sit on a leaf an watch me laying on the couch.

I still havent started a 2.5 but I will some day. Have a betta an a otto in a 10 gal, as close as I am to nano.

I realy like the algae on the rocks in your tanks, it looks so natural.

Brion
post #163 of 766 (permalink) Old 01-11-2009, 04:40 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Yeah, Voettxboii, it's pretty easy here in the City. I'm just hoping that all of my favorite LFSs here survive the economic crisis we're having. I'm doing my part by spending money there, but I'm just one guy.
So, people, if you have a job and money, spend some at your favorite LFS! They need you right now!

THanks, brion0! The Ottos are doing well, I'm happy to report.

I also added four Crystal Reds yesterday. I've had phenomenally bad luck with Crystal Reds (and Bumble Bee and Bee and Gold Spot and Tiger and Amano and Cherry and Rainbow and Green), and it's time that I try them again in a tank bigger than the Mini-S. The larger water volume of a Mini-M is a bit easier for me to maintain.

Speaking of which, earlier this week I got my shrimp drunk. Before leaving for work, I turned on the CO2 and set it a bit higher than I usually do; usually I set it at one BPS, but on that day I set it at two BPS.
When I got home the shrimp were buggin'. Dozens of fry were darting around, zigging and zagging like combat aircraft in a dogfight. Some of the RCS fry had red eyes. Red eyes! Like they were doing drugs that they shouldn't be doing.
Initially, unaware of what I was seeing, I thought the shrimp to be playing. I then remembered that shrimp are perhaps the most unplayful creatures on the face of the earth. Dudes are all business. From birth to death, all they do is work. (Unless they're getting it on, in which case they are mildly playful.)
I then noticed a bit more pearling going on that is usual.
So I tested my pH. It was below 6.0! Poor guys were probably stressed out of their minds by the super-saturation of CO2 and O2.
I've since turned the CO2 back to one bps and all's well.

Two Ottos, a diffuser, Glosso, rocks, a snail, Anubias Nana "Petite", Mini Java Fern, and Hairgrass
post #164 of 766 (permalink) Old 01-11-2009, 04:48 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Looks good. My only problem is I keep spending money at your LFS too. Mine don't have anything good.

Oh yeah I'm ripping out my UG for a carpet of HC After adding the HM to the tank I wanted a lower carpet. So you got me beat in the UG growing contest.

That tank is looking sweet though. I just added 11 CRS to my tank good luck with yours.

Craig

Rebooting...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdwill View Post
"C'mon, they're just plants, man, no big deal -- try some"
post #165 of 766 (permalink) Old 01-11-2009, 05:24 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Thanks, Craig. Cool deal on the HC! It's a very cool carpet plant. I love seeing tanks with it.
As for the contest, in Riven Revolutions it's actually grown enough that in a week or two, I'll have to pluck and replant. It's pretty much covered the entire substrate.
In my experience, HC is harder to grow than UG. HC needs pretty good CO2, where UG can make it with Excel alone. My only gripe with HC is the constant trimming required to keep it carpeted. (Then again, what plant doesn't require constant trimming in a medium to high light tank with CO2?)
And thanks for the luck in the CRS. I'll need it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode