The Planted Tank Forum banner

Starting a 10 gal planted for first time

932 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  jt10 
#1 ·
im going to be setting up a 10 gal planted tank for the first time, ive been keepin a 3 gal picoreef and a 12 gal nanoreef with success. so im new to the fresh water planted tanks scene.. so im looking for lots of suggestions like lighting how much lighting? whats the best substrate? wheather its worth it to you a diy co2 or a nicer co2 system. and the best fertilizers? i want to have the substrate carpeted, have spme moss growing on drift wood just a real realistic enviorment for the fish ill have a school of neon tetras and some shrimp, unless anybody some cooler tetras in mind!!! well just looking for any info that i can get!!!! thanks alot looking foward to the info

#2 ·
-Your tetras will hunt down shrimplets.

-A 10g is very hard to find lighting for. You could try the Current USA Satellite/Orbit fixtures though, if you want a high/super-high light tank, but the 2x40W is overkilll.

-DIY CO2 will work nicely on a 10g. I had a pressurized system, however, because of the reduced maintenance and increased stability.

-The "best" substrate, in my opinion, is ADA AquaSoil. But it just depends on what you want to grow.

-The "best" fertilizers are dry ones you can get from Greg Watson's old company or Rex Grigg...or your local nursery (in bulk). You can even mix them yourself for easy-to-dose solutions.

#3 ·
I'm assuming you want to go high-tech? I have a 10 gallon with the 40 watt USA Current Satellite lighting with moonlight (love it), a Red Sea paintball pressurized CO2 system (no complaints), eco-complete substrate (its ok...), and an aquaclear HOB filter (a canister would be an upgrade, but AC's are my favorite HOBs). I dose dry ferts. Overall, I'm extremely happy with all of my choices. I used DIY CO2 for a long time, but decided to step up. Nothing wrong with going DIY with a 10 gallon.

#4 ·
yep im going high tech, sounds good thanks for all the info its helping me out alot always gotta research and see what others are doing before you jump into it.. but if anybody elses has any more info hit me with it thanks again for your time

#5 ·
im bout to get the supplies to start it up getting ada substrate, diy lighting, red sea turbo co2 system, hob filter. 40w to much lighting? and is it better to start the tank up emersed and could i get a run down on how to do that? or fill it and then plant the tank? and this may be a stupid question do you guys keep the floss in your filters and change them havent seen nobody talking about that.... remember i have had nothing but saltwater tanks filter media was live rock rubble and macro alge. just looking for some info and im ready to recieve all the info i can get thanks for your time!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.