The Planted Tank Forum banner

1/4 gallon femto journal

2K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  Karackle 
#1 ·
Hopefully this succeeds, but my hopes aren't super high.:icon_redf It's going to be more of a fun project to try whether i fall on my face or not. I just ordered the plexiglass needed to build my new 6"x3"x3" 1/4 gallon planted tank.

I just threw together a design in paint, i thought that i would use HC up front, dwarf hairgrass on the left, weeping moss on the "wood", and something else to the right (suggestions welcome, i'm thinking amazon sword:icon_roll). The substrate will be tahitian moon sand (it's what i've got). and the "rocks" will be some pebbles or aquarium gravel. I'll probably use a couple led's as lighting, maybe even a book light. I'm gonna have 3x2L bottles of DIY CO2. (j/k) There will be no filtration, just daily PWC's. Hopefully there will be no need for a heater, but just in case, i bought a 250w heater. It's a tight fit, but i think it'll work! For fauna, i was planning on a regular pleco, but that would just be ridiculous, so i'm settling for a bn pleco:hihi:. I figured i'd make the left wall double thick so he had somewhere to rest his tail. In all seriousness, do you think one RCS would do well in a tank this size?

Hopefully I'll get pics of the tank next week (assuming i get the plexiglass by next tuesday)

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
so, i got the plexiglass at a local hardware store for use in 2 different projects, the femtotank and a cover for my other tanks. I would take pics, but my camera doesn't want to sync with my computer and my memory card reader crapped out on me. Hopefully tomorrow i'll find the time to cut the plexiglass to size and start silicone'ing it (packing for school is taking most my time right now). I'll make sure to take plenty of pictures to post when i get my new memory card reader.

#7 ·
I wouldn't put anything in it without a filter. There's always the chance that you forget about it (it's small and your at school), so you don't do the water changes, so then it crashes and the shrimps die.

But if you managed to 'drill' the tank and make a sort of overflow type thing with it powered by air (so it's not as strong) that I don't see why you couldn't put shrimp in it.

#8 ·
well, i ran out of time before going to school, so the project is on hold for a little bit. I'm gonna have to try to get down to one of the home improvement stores and get some plexiglass cut. Hopefully i'll get this project back on track by mid-september.:icon_cry:

#9 ·
Bummer! I'm sorry to hear that, I hope you're able to make it to a home-improvement place and get your project going! Make sure to update us when you do get it started! :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.