On a whim this past weekend, I decided to take my ADA Mini-M set-up out of storage and get back into the hobby after a few years break.
- ADA Mini-M
- ADA Solar Mini light which I might upgrade to an LED fixture
- ADA Aquasoil substrate
- Eheim 2211 canister filter with Cal Aqua Labs Fluxus F1/X1 lily pipes
- Archea paintball CO2 adaptor/solenoid
This is what the tank used to look like before it was dismantled in 2012:
What it looks like now:
Close-up of the hardscape (these are ADA Ohko stones)
After planting the HC:
Partial background of belem hairgrass.
I'll post an update of the progress every week.
Thanks for reading!
Last edited by TLE041; 08-15-2015 at 02:11 AM.
Lovely tank! And welcome back to the hobby!
(I just got back from a two years break as well. )
May I ask what material you use as barrier between DHG and HC?
I have similar layout and am worried about DHG would take over the tank in a short period of time.
Thanks in advance!
Here's a picture update of the tank 8 days after planting...
As expected, all the existing foliage have died off and all the foliage that's currently visible is new growth. Growth at this stage is quite slow as most of the energy is put into the roots. However, the HC should quickly start spreading out in the next 2 weeks.
No die-off of the DHG, though. Lots of new leaves popping up.
My last dry start last Summer went really well, but I got busy and left it too long without flooding it and the HC all started to lift up. When that happened, I removed all the HC and grew it out emersed in a tub of Aquasoil until I was ready to restart the process. Now that I have some time, I planted the HC yesterday. Each plantlet was planted individually to speed up the rate of spreading. Since I had a ton of HC, I was able to fill the entire surface tightly. Some of the leaves have started yellowing today. In my experience, about 90% of the existing leaves will die off. I'm expecting the dry start to take about 20 days.
As for the equipment, I'll be replacing the Solar Mini light with an Aquasky 361. Filter is an Eheim 2211 connected to Cal Aqua Labs lily pipes and a Hydor ETH 200 heater. CO2 will be an Archaea paintball system with an in-line diffuser.
For livestock, I plan to add a school of microrasboras.