ADA Mini-S: Riven - Page 51 - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #751 of 1396 (permalink) Old 12-28-2008, 07:15 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Ouch.
Well then the yeast + sugar ain't working that bad, hell your UG is growing like it's on crack still.

Mini pellia ... droooooooooooooooool...............
dammit i have to get my hands on some!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #752 of 1396 (permalink) Old 12-29-2008, 01:59 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

You do make the UG look easy, And I thought it was hard to grow. Well not hard but a slow grower.

Thanks,
Rekles75

55 GAL #1---55 GAL #2 ---10 GAL---4 GAL Finnex---ALL SCAPES HAVE BEEN RETIRED.
post #753 of 1396 (permalink) Old 12-29-2008, 04:25 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Thanks, Viettxboii. I've just upped it to three DIYs. We'll see what affect that has on the tank.
And Mini Pellia is a great plant. I love it.

Hey, rekles. Thanks. I'm not sure if it's great growth is me or the plant itself. It just seems like a very healthy bunch I got. Either way, I'll take it because it's really filling in nicely.
post #754 of 1396 (permalink) Old 12-31-2008, 03:33 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Ok so hold up...
Your tank has low light, liquid ferts, and DIY CO2 diffused through a diffuser.

And I have high light, dry ferts, and DIY CO2 diffused through my canister filter.

I should be able to grow UG too

Eheim Classic 2213
Eheim Pimp #341

post #755 of 1396 (permalink) Old 12-31-2008, 03:38 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZooTycoonMaster View Post
Ok so hold up...
Your tank has low light, liquid ferts, and DIY CO2 diffused through a diffuser.

And I have high light, dry ferts, and DIY CO2 diffused through my canister filter.

I should be able to grow UG too
You do realize by saying this, you've assured your failure in growing it?

Wabi Kusa is just an Aquascape Katamari
post #756 of 1396 (permalink) Old 12-31-2008, 03:40 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Lol

Eheim Classic 2213
Eheim Pimp #341

post #757 of 1396 (permalink) Old 12-31-2008, 04:08 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Zoo, I've seen your tank and I have no doubt you can grow UG. You've got a green thumb.

I think UG's rep for being a difficult plant to grow stems from the fact that it's not widely distributed yet. Once more people get this plant, everyone will see that UG is just like HC in that it takes some time to get it's engine revving, but once it does, it grows quite easily. (And this is not me trying to be all "Ooh, look at me! UG's so easy to grow because I'm rad!" With the right light (medium is fine), CO2 (lots), and a good substrate, it's no harder than any other carpet plant.)

Remember, it's not all the tech you have in and around your tank that matters, but how all that tech affects the water.
It all begins and ends with water.
post #758 of 1396 (permalink) Old 12-31-2008, 04:36 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

post #759 of 1396 (permalink) Old 12-31-2008, 12:43 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugly Genius View Post
Zoo, I've seen your tank and I have no doubt you can grow UG. You've got a green thumb.

I think UG's rep for being a difficult plant to grow stems from the fact that it's not widely distributed yet. Once more people get this plant, everyone will see that UG is just like HC in that it takes some time to get it's engine revving, but once it does, it grows quite easily. (And this is not me trying to be all "Ooh, look at me! UG's so easy to grow because I'm rad!" With the right light (medium is fine), CO2 (lots), and a good substrate, it's no harder than any other carpet plant.)

Remember, it's not all the tech you have in and around your tank that matters, but how all that tech affects the water.
It all begins and ends with water.
I agree. UG has a habit of taking along time to come back if it melts or is in poor shape. I got some from 2 different sources and its amazing what one bunch is doing compared to the other. One was in transit for 3-4 days the other I got overnighted to me. If you can get it fresh and locally and replant it ASAP I think that makes a huge difference.

Craig

Rebooting...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdwill View Post
"C'mon, they're just plants, man, no big deal -- try some"
post #760 of 1396 (permalink) Old 01-01-2009, 06:09 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Slowly, the Downoi is poking it's head out of the sand.

Happy New Year, everyone.
post #761 of 1396 (permalink) Old 01-01-2009, 06:34 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Nevermind, I'm getting some Marselia Minuta in the mail soon which will be the new foreground plant I like that one better than the M. Quadrifolia.

Eheim Classic 2213
Eheim Pimp #341

post #762 of 1396 (permalink) Old 01-01-2009, 09:53 PM
Planted Tank Guru

It's so cute and tiny. I feel like cheering it on to get bigger.

Wabi Kusa is just an Aquascape Katamari
post #763 of 1396 (permalink) Old 01-02-2009, 05:59 PM
Wannabe Guru

The more and more I look at your tank, the more and more I want to try UG. I think once I go to college and I start up a new tank there I am definitely going to give it a shot. It's not that you make it look easy (you do), but I guess it's that your not pulling your hair out with it in your tank. It seems like you're having a good experience with it, and that makes me a little less intimidated. I used to look up care and maintenance for this plant and it always had this: Level: Experienced Hobbiest.
But nope. I think I'm ready now!

Love all your tanks man. Truly inspirational! Thanks for the awesome journals.
post #764 of 1396 (permalink) Old 01-02-2009, 06:06 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Nothing's changed in terms of plant selection, layout, et cetera. I'm probably about three weeks away from figuring out how to trim UG. (Anyone know how to trim UG?)

Today I have off. So:
I'm going to hit the gym and then try to find a small internal filter to work as a CO2 reactor. I've read that the Hagen Elite Minis work good in this regard. As of right now, I have three DIYs; two via glass diffusers and one via a chopstick (back right corner).

Off topic:
I've been watching a unidentified type of algae that you can make out in yesterday's photo of my Downoi grow on the UG and Mini Pellia. It's slowly starting to abate.
While I haven't been in this hobby all that long, I do feel a certain confidence when it comes to living with algae. I can look at one of my tanks, see algae, and know if there is something that I am doing wrong, or if it's just cyclical and I that I should just let it run it's course. In this case, I feel that all I have to do here is let it run its course. If my hunch is correct, the algae will be gone in three weeks. (To be replaced with a completely new and unexpected problem.)

The Microsword is really tall now. I didn't know it could get that tall. I'd say it's four or five inches. Eventually I'll trim it but for now I like the wild look.
In about a month, I think we'll start to see the Dwarf Hairgrass I planted behind the main rock start to show. It'll help minimize the manicured look that this tank now has. (I want this tank to be a happy medium between Dutch and Nature Aquarium. Hey, we can call this new look DNA! Get it--? Dutch Nature Aquarium!)

Anyway, I've got to get ready for the gym.
post #765 of 1396 (permalink) Old 01-02-2009, 06:09 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugly Genius View Post
Today I have off. So:
I'm going to hit the gym and then try to find a small internal filter to work as a CO2 reactor. I've read that the Hagen Elite Minis work good in this regard. As of right now, I have three DIYs; two via glass diffusers and one via a chopstick (back right corner).
That CO2 reactor (from what people have told me) produces too much CO2 for a 10 gallon tank (mine), so it should produce even more CO2 for a smaller tank like yours

Maybe you could put a powerhead by one of the diffusers to chop uo the bubbles even more.

Eheim Classic 2213
Eheim Pimp #341

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode