ADA Mini-S: Riven - Page 3 - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 1396 (permalink) Old 07-18-2008, 04:57 PM
Planted Tank Guru

your HC will still need help to not get burried under glosso. even if it grows tall enough and fast enough to keep horizontal stems out, glosso can and does propagate by underground runners.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 1396 (permalink) Old 07-18-2008, 10:34 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nismo View Post
your running out of room ehh? well im not if you catch my drift ....
Absolutely, Nismo. Once I get a enough left over, you're first on the list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZooTycoonMaster View Post
I feel like getting a chopstick as a diffuser and modifying my CO2 powerhead and grow some Glosso after looking at your pics
What's up, Zoo!
The secret is in the chopstick and a rubber-band! The rubber-band makes the bubbles more Glosso-friendly! I still think the secret to the Glosso growth is the close lighting (the bulbs are, like, one inch from the water's surface) and the Aqua Soil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by @marko@ View Post
your HC will still need help to not get burried under glosso. even if it grows tall enough and fast enough to keep horizontal stems out, glosso can and does propagate by underground runners.
Don't I know it. Glosso, in a CO2 and light-rich tank, grows like a weed. The HC will not win this battle without my help.

I'm leaning towards Blyxa japonica as a background plant. I think it's technically a stem plant despite looking like grass. Whuddya you guys think?

Last edited by Ugly Genius; 07-19-2008 at 03:42 AM.
post #33 of 1396 (permalink) Old 07-18-2008, 11:50 PM
Planted Tank Guru

it is a stem plant by growth structure. it has a stem and new growth happens along nodes on the stem. but it grows slow and dont expect to get the nutrient control benfits of stem plants with it.

i might also consider riccia.
post #34 of 1396 (permalink) Old 07-19-2008, 03:55 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Hey @marko@. Thanks. Yeah, I was thinking more along aesthetic lines as opposed to the fast-growing, excess-nutrient-sucking power of a stem plant. I'm just thinking that the tank is lacking, I dunno, character. It's too sterile. Got no kick, ya know?
That's what got me thinking the Blyxa japonica would be a good balance. It's grassy, but tallish (for this tank). I was considering Dwarf Hairgrass too, but I did it before and I wanted to try something new.
I'd do Riccia, but that plant drives me nuts! It's beautiful, it pearls if you simply smile at it (and not even nicely), and has great texture, but it grows so fast and it gets everywhere. My patience is pushed far enough with the Glosso.
I appreciate your suggestion, though. If you have any other ideas, I'd really appreciate it.
post #35 of 1396 (permalink) Old 07-19-2008, 05:12 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugly Genius View Post
What's up, Zoo!
The secret is in the chopstick and a rubber-band! The rubber-band makes the bubbles more Glosso-friendly! I still think the secret to the Glosso growth is the close lighting (the bulbs are, like, one inch from the water's surface) and the Aqua Soil.
How does it make it Glosso-friendly? I'm not getting the whole concept of that

And where do you do your shopping at? ADA store?

Eheim Classic 2213
Eheim Pimp #341

post #36 of 1396 (permalink) Old 07-19-2008, 02:13 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Hey Zoo. I see you're from the Bay Area, so I'll get specific with where I shop.
The ADA stuff I get at Aqua Forest Aquarium on Filmore. Have you ever been there? Awesome place.
I also go to Ocean Aquarium on Cedar. Justin, the store's owner, is so knowledgeable, patient, and kind its ridiculous. Every one of his tanks, and there are dozens upon dozens, are 'scaped. You can rest assured that any fish or shrimp you buy there are at the peak of health.
I get some stuff at Aquatic Central on Ocean Avenue as it's close to my house.
Back in the day, I got a lot of stuff from Nippon Goldfish on Geary, now closed. That was a good store.
Other stuff was bought on the Swap n Shop and craigslist.

Today I'll go to some of those stores because I want some new plants, two 10,000k 13W CFs, and maybe a new species of shrimp. (I currently have CRS, RCS, Bumblebee, and Amano.) I also want to see if I can find some Nerite snails.
post #37 of 1396 (permalink) Old 07-19-2008, 02:26 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Here's a full tank shot taken just now.

Here's a close up of the HC and FLC.

post #38 of 1396 (permalink) Old 07-19-2008, 02:59 PM
Planted Tank Guru

My parents would think I'm crazy if I told them I wanted to go to a fish store in San Francisco They'd also probably make me pay for gas

So I still don't get how the rubber band makes the CO2 Glosso-friendly But seeing how much success you're having, I feel like finding a giant chopstick (or if I can't, then a limewood airstone) and seeing if that'll do any better

Subscribed, btw

Eheim Classic 2213
Eheim Pimp #341

post #39 of 1396 (permalink) Old 07-19-2008, 03:45 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
My parents would think I'm crazy if I told them I wanted to go to a fish store in San Francisco They'd also probably make me pay for gas

So I still don't get how the rubber band makes the CO2 Glosso-friendly But seeing how much success you're having, I feel like finding a giant chopstick (or if I can't, then a limewood airstone) and seeing if that'll do any better

Subscribed, btw
If you and your parents ever come up this way and go to Japantown, walk half a block up from the Kabuki movie theater and visit Aqua Forest Aquarium. It's a really nice store.

I was just kidding about the rubber-band. I could not get the chopstick in firmly enough to get small bubbles, so I wrapped the end with a rubber-band. The end result is smaller bubbles and a more-airtight seal.
As you can see from the above photo, I also went back to the glass diffuser. Once I put that in and used the chopstick on the other, I started to get consistent pearling. The tank now starts pearling after about an hour of lights.

I see from your journal -- which is looking good, by the way -- you've got a ten gallon with the Nutrafin system. I was thinking of using the same system as I liked the powerhead idea. Since I had old Hagen systems lying around, however, I used those canisters. Maybe you could do an additional DIY bottle with a chopstick diffuser. But keep in mind, my tank is about three and a half gallons, and since I have no livestock, I can pump quite a bit of CO2 in it without hurting anything. (I also dose Excel.) Since you have livestock, you'd have to be more careful than I.

Right now I'm thinking that I'll tear down Riven in a few months. I'm more creative than I am a nurturer, so I get the most enjoyment from creating a tank rather than taking care of it. That said, I might not put fish in this first version as I'd hate to get them acclimated only to take them out a little while later. So once I get good plant growth and find a cool rock and or driftwood, I'll make Riven Reloaded.

And thanks for the subscription! I don't think I've ever been subscribed to before.
post #40 of 1396 (permalink) Old 07-19-2008, 04:04 PM
Planted Tank Guru

I have the Red Sea Turbo CO2 Bio-System The powerhead's hooked up to a 1L DIY bottle and a 2L DIY bottle. I may attach a small water bottle to the powerhead to make it something like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VvHwq...eature=related
Then I have another spare 1 liter bottle which I can hook up to either a limewood airstone or a chopstick.

Nooo don't take this down I like it the way it is

Eheim Classic 2213
Eheim Pimp #341

post #41 of 1396 (permalink) Old 07-19-2008, 09:22 PM
Planted Member

Nice tank. I really like the glosso.
post #42 of 1396 (permalink) Old 07-19-2008, 09:54 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Okay, went shopping.

Got some Blyxa Japonica at Aqua Forest.

I'm still not certain on it's placement, but because I designed this layout with only Glosso, HC, FLC, Java Fern, Anubias, and Christmas Moss in mind, I didn't make space or arrange the rocks for taller plants and had to put it where I could.
So I stuck it in the corner.
When I put it anywhere else, it tends to either overpower the nearby plants or become to much the focal point.
Any comments or suggestions will be appreciated.

I also found a really small diffuser. It's rad. It was $19.00 but it's worth it. It really breaks the CO2 down into itsy-bitsy bubbles.

Remember, that's a mini Java Fern next to the diffuser. The leaves full grown are three inches tall.

I also got 10,000K bulbs. The yellow of the 6,700k bulbs was starting to look too washed out for my tastes. The 10,000k tends to bring out more of the greens and blues of the plants.
Does anyone have experience with 10,000k? How'd they work for you? This is the first time I've used them.

The water got a bit cloudy when I was dusting some of my Green Dust Algae, but it's slowly starting to clear.
I've read articles suggesting that by letting the GDA be for four weeks, and it'll clear on it's own. I don't think I'm that patient. I'll just keep cleaning as much as I can without disrupting the plants.

Zoo, thanks for the compliment. Give the chopstick a try. (Don't forget the rubber-band!) If not, an airstone would work great.

windfish, thanks! Yeah, it's growing quite well. Better than I'd like sometimes.
post #43 of 1396 (permalink) Old 07-19-2008, 10:06 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Plants don't have any blue color in them

Did you take a look at the spectrum of the bulb? Plants prefer wavelength in the green, orange, red, and yellow spectrum.

Have you tested your water parameters yet?

I got the same diffuser for $4 on E-bay

Eheim Classic 2213
Eheim Pimp #341

post #44 of 1396 (permalink) Old 07-19-2008, 10:54 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Plants don't have any blue color in them

Did you take a look at the spectrum of the bulb? Plants prefer wavelength in the green, orange, red, and yellow spectrum.

Have you tested your water parameters yet?

I got the same diffuser for $4 on E-bay
You're supposed to tell me about the ebay diffuser before I spend fifteen dollars too much!

I haven't checked my water parameters.
Heck, I don't even know the temperature it is.
All I know is that it's wet.
I'll get around to checking one of these days, but to be quite honest, testing water bores me tremendously. I tend to do everything by intuition, hunches, and luck. (I think they're calling it "E.I." now-a-days.) I go by plant color, growth, algae, and fish behavior. It works for the most part. I'm wrong a lot, but I'm right sometimes, too.

As for the bulbs. 10,000k has much more blue than the other end of the planted tank spectrum. So these look a lot more blue than the 6,700k's I had before. From what I've read, 10,000k should be okay for a planted tank.
I like this color as it gives a clearer, cleaner look to the tank. Where the 6,700k's had a late afternoon color to them, these look more like midday.

I forgot to upload this picture in the last post.
post #45 of 1396 (permalink) Old 07-19-2008, 11:46 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Does your chopstick produce any bubbles? I only see the majority of them coming from the diffuser

Eheim Classic 2213
Eheim Pimp #341

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode