ADA Mini-S: Riven - Page 11 - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #151 of 1396 (permalink) Old 08-18-2008, 03:04 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Tex Gal, the Mini-Pellia I got from Aqua Forest Aquarium here in the city. I know they have some in stock as I saw some on Saturday. It's $9.99 for a small one.five" square.
It's growing better for me in my shrimp tank -- in which I do nothing save water changes. Makes me think that my water column in Riven is less that nutritionally perfect.
I've been fighting the hair algae for some time now. (Although some of it actually is Zoo's hair -- his hair is everywhere in my house.) By using the higher-hanging Home Depot light, and refraining from dosing Brighty Step One and Brighty K completely, it's abated quite a bit.
I'm reluctant to add fauna of any type just yet. I do too much experimenting with CO2 to risk the lives of O2 breathers. The one Nerite I have in there is adjusted, and I think he's probably a genetic freak of some sort. A Super Snail or something. The first shrimp I'll introduce are Cherries as I have a ton of them and they seem fairly hardy.
In the meantime, I've also been doing daily one gallon water changes and that helps with the hair algae as well.

jgilvey, you're perhaps the fifth person in Zoo's life who have recognized the connection between Salinger and Franny and Zooey. There's a long story about how I came to name them and if you guys are interested, I can relate that long, boring story to you when I get back from work. I think I also still need to tell you guys the story about the coolest natural aquarium I ever saw in a hole in the ground about forty-five minutes away from Mount Fuji in Japan.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 1396 (permalink) Old 08-19-2008, 02:37 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Do!aqua glassware

Got curious after yesterday's Do!aqua discussion and picked up two new diffusers. One's small and the other's hella small.

The one time my Japanese comes in handy. This is the Do!aqua CO2 Music Glass 15. (I think it was mis-marked and it's actually the CO2 Music Glass Mini 15.)

This one's even smaller. Do!aqua CO2 Music Glass 10.

The larger was thirty-six bones; the smaller was thirty-three. Much cheaper than the next size up, sixty.

Here, in this picture, you can better see how small the smaller is. It's quite cute, really.

I have no basis of comparison to the high-end ADA stuff, but this stuff seems to be of pretty good quality.

{August 19th EDIT}
Here are some just-taken shots of the diffusers diffusing. Sorry my camera can't zoom any closer. (What do they call those--? Macro?)

This is just because it's a cool shot. It shows the last bit of "open land" on my substrate. The FLC, Glosso, and HC are all racing to fill it. (I'll let you in on who wins: The FLC. I'm rigging it so that they get that whole corner.)

Last edited by Ugly Genius; 08-20-2008 at 06:30 AM.
post #153 of 1396 (permalink) Old 08-19-2008, 02:56 AM
CL
Planted Tank Guru

Those look cool! Tell us how they work out

post #154 of 1396 (permalink) Old 08-19-2008, 03:35 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Zoo and kingfish92, I just noticed that I missed your posts. Sorry. Didn't mean to ignore them.

I'm not sure what plants I'll transfer to the new tank, Zoo. HC for sure, Christmas Moss, and other than that, I don't know. I almost always use Anubias Nana, so that'll probably be in there. If I use Glosso, it'll be sparingly. As I plan on using wood, I'm pretty much obligated to use Mini Java Fern.

kingfish92, you should! Nanos are so much fun! Maintenance is a snap and you can supercharge growth without going broke on equipment.
post #155 of 1396 (permalink) Old 08-19-2008, 07:25 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
jgilvey, you're perhaps the fifth person in Zoo's life who have recognized the connection between Salinger and Franny and Zooey. There's a long story about how I came to name them and if you guys are interested, I can relate that long, boring story to you when I get back from work. I think I also still need to tell you guys the story about the coolest natural aquarium I ever saw in a hole in the ground about forty-five minutes away from Mount Fuji in Japan.
Count me in!

Jack
post #156 of 1396 (permalink) Old 08-19-2008, 07:54 PM
Wannabe Guru

Genius... I just ordered the music glass 15... do you think it's big enough for a 20 gallon High Iwagumi?

I have slain all of the Dragons! You owe me!
post #157 of 1396 (permalink) Old 08-20-2008, 01:20 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Hey, MedRed. I'd say so. It's about three-fourths of an inch in diameter and the same high. It's probably a really good choice in that the 10, which is less than half the size, is perfect for the Mini-S.
I'm really not a good person to ask such things, though. I crank CO2 way up usually. So if I had a twenty gallon tank, I'd have, like, eight diffusers running. (And Excel.) (And I'd exhale through a straw into the water column as I looked at the tank.)
I got some PMs regarding the Music Glass equipment. Would you care to share where you ordered yours so that others can do the same?
post #158 of 1396 (permalink) Old 08-20-2008, 01:27 AM
Wannabe Guru

My LFS ordered them through aqua forest. Aqua forest just got a lot of the Do!aqua line in and they haven't incorporated them into the website yet. They do not have any of the tanks or stands at this point. They do have the food, ferts, co2 stuff, and lily pipes.

oh yeah... what do you do to keep your ph from crashing with using so much co2?

post #159 of 1396 (permalink) Old 08-20-2008, 03:51 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

TOP SECRET

PROJECT U.G.L.E.E.
Ugly Genius Livestock Evaluation and Extraction

Over the course of the following weeks, livestock from Zoo's Delight will be observed and evaluated for possible emigration to Riven. Only individuals displaying exceptional health, fortitude, and strength will be considered for Project U.G.L.E.E.. As the mission involves significant risk to health and life, compensation in the form of Crab Cuisine will be made to the maimed or deceased's next of kin in the event such does occur. END DOCUMENT.

Of course, I get so racked with guilt every time a shrimp dies on my watch, the evaluation period may stretch for months. Possibly even years.

Last edited by Ugly Genius; 08-20-2008 at 03:06 PM.
post #160 of 1396 (permalink) Old 08-20-2008, 03:56 AM
Wannabe Guru

ha ha... very nice!

post #161 of 1396 (permalink) Old 08-20-2008, 03:28 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugly Genius View Post
Got curious after yesterday's Do!aqua discussion and picked up two new diffusers. One's small and the other's hella small.

The one time my Japanese comes in handy. This is the Do!aqua CO2 Music Glass 15. (I think it was mis-marked and it's actually the CO2 Music Glass Mini 15.)

This one's even smaller. Do!aqua CO2 Music Glass 10.

The larger was thirty-six bones; the smaller was thirty-three. Much cheaper than the next size up, sixty.

Here, in this picture, you can better see how small the smaller is. It's quite cute, really.

I have no basis of comparison to the high-end ADA stuff, but this stuff seems to be of pretty good quality.

{August 19th EDIT}
Here are some just-taken shots of the diffusers diffusing. Sorry my camera can't zoom any closer. (What do they call those--? Macro?)

$36 and $33 you mean for those 2 small diffusers???? What store did you get them at?

And I LOVE that Downoi

Eheim Classic 2213
Eheim Pimp #341

post #162 of 1396 (permalink) Old 08-21-2008, 02:05 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

MedRed, my means for keeping the pH from crashing is two-fold. Rather than give you the step-by-step and rather dull long-version, I'll paint the bones for you.
First I have no clue what my pH is. Not a single clue. If I'd have to guess, it's probably somewhere between zero and fourteen. Second, I ignore the fact that I don't know if my pH crashes from all my CO2. (And please note that I'm not all that mad at you anymore for reminding me of this ignorance. I'm totally over it. )
So you see, my method for preventing excessive CO2 dosing to crash my tank's pH is quite bullet-proof.
Seriously, my method of keeping a tank would probably make most of you cry. I just watch my plants and fauna and go by what I see.

Zoo, didn't you go (or aren't you in) New York? How is/was it? Yeah, those diffusers were pricey, but they're cool, bro! Especially the small one. I got them at Aqua Forest Aquarium here in the city. They've got a bunch of ADA's new budget line of stuff, Do!aqua.
I was talking to one of the shopkeepers and they weren't sure how well the stuff would sell, so they only bought a limited quantity, but apparently it's selling quite well and I'm sure they'll end up stocking my more of each item.

The Downoi is cool, huh? Yeah, I really like it. Tank's missing one more plant, but I haven't the foggiest what it should be.

Oh,

Tank got a haircut.
post #163 of 1396 (permalink) Old 08-21-2008, 02:08 AM
Planted Tank Guru

I got back last night...landed in SFO, I was thinking of your tank

Is that a piece of Riccia stuck to your filter?

Eheim Classic 2213
Eheim Pimp #341

post #164 of 1396 (permalink) Old 08-21-2008, 05:42 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

i think i drooled a little when i saw that tiny diffusor. lol iv been searching for a nice small diffusor for my 2.5 gallon but i doubt ill ever see one of those in canada. booerns
post #165 of 1396 (permalink) Old 08-21-2008, 05:44 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

begin transmission
last login 2008.20.8 Wed 20:48
login: Ugly Genius
password: *******
accepted
logon...
connected.
>
>
U.G.L.E.E. FIELD NOTES
>
>
>
CANDIDATE ONE: MASTER CHIEF; Caridina sp. "Bumblebee"; D.O.B. UNK; HEIGHT: 1 CM; LENGTH: 3 CM; WEIGHT: UNK
>
Project U.G.L.E.E.'s first candidate has been identified. A Caridina sp. "Bumblebee". Individual displays remarkable strength and courage. Observed the candidate competing with and winning against two larger and presumably stronger Caridina japonica for a pellet of Crab Cuisine. Candidate, hereafter referred to as "Master Chief", shows remarkable courage and/or hunger. Master Chief's complete disregard for his own safety can be considered a desirable trait in a potentially hostile environment such as Riven. Will continue to observe Master Chief for additional (for this project) desirable quasi-suicidal tendencies. Will also consider feeding more than three pellets so as to avoid hostile encounters such as the one just witnessed.
UG
>
logout
end transmission

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode