The Planted Tank Forum banner

Etane's Office 2gallon Aquatop Cube

6K views 16 replies 6 participants last post by  etane 
#1 · (Edited)
I recently started an office tank. This is my only real planted tank. I have a few other tanks but don't even use soil substrate. So, my other tanks have plants that do not require soil such as anubias and subwassertang.

Stuff:

Tanks: Aquatop 2gallon (8" x 8" x 8")
Light: Deep Blue Solarflare Micro
Filter: Aquatop IF201
Rocks: Yamaya
Plants: Ammania Bonsai, HC, Alternetha Reineckii Mini, HG.
Soil: ADA Amazonia
Fauna: To be added are a Betta, a Guppy and some shrimps.
Top: 1/8" glass top

Tank is still cycling.

Some notes:

1) Light is just right for the tank as long as plants that need a lot of light are located away from the peripheral of the tank. I had to move the HC away from corner of tank as those in corner were melting.

2) Tried all types of "nano" filters including Tom, Azoo and Deep Blue before keeping the Aquatop internal. All the rest are too powerful for the tank. To further reduce flow, I placed a short piece of air hose inside the filter where it connects the spray bar.

3) In the filter I have: Eheim sintured glass balls for beneficial bacteria, carbon, a coarse sponge that came with the filter, and a fine sponge. I overstuffed the filter with the sponge in order to reduce the flow coming out of the spray bar. I also drilled about 10 more holes into the spray bar to reduce the flow's viscosity.

4) DSM for about 2 week before filling tank.

5) Dosing Excel daily to minimizing algae growth and keeping HC healthy.

6) Had an Erios in the tank but removed it as it got too big.

7) Thinking of removing the HG. I want the cover to fill the tank's background in and to prove shrimps with more hiding places. But, they are "hiding" the Reineckii.

Today:

Past:

See less See more
#2 ·
I'll be the first to say either go with a betta solo, no guppy or shrimp, or just go with shrimp.

KISS keep it simple, stupid.

No need to complicate things for yourself. Those three species don't really get along at all.

Betas will chase guppies, guppies and betas will eat shrimp/shrimplets.

Not a happy home for any of them.

But the good news is this tank looks fantastic.

#3 ·
I'll be the first to say either go with a betta solo,
Betas will chase guppies, guppies and betas will eat shrimp/shrimplets.
Got them in a vase at home now. They get along fine. Every betta/guppy has different temperament. I tried out three bettas to find the one that best mesh with the shrimps and guppy. The betta I have no doesn't chase. I don't care if the shrimplets get eaten. I am not a breeder.

But the good news is this tank looks fantastic.
Thanks!

#16 ·
They are a bit more active compared to when they were in my 60p. Before they sorta just sit around all day. Now they float in middle of the tank a bit more often than before. I thought the tank might be small at first but don't think so anymore.

Bump: They look like they are having fun in there. Either you or I are projecting haha. Probably is me...

Those poor fish seem pretty stressed in there. :(
Bump:
Maybe an arrowana to replace the betta?
For a quick snack?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.