.5g Nano - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-03-2008, 11:55 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

.5g Nano

After setting up my 10g nano style tank, I guess i got the nano bug and went ahead and got myself a mini tank. I normally was going for a cube nano but couldnt find one anywhere here besides the city (2 long of a trip). So I came home with a 8Lx5Wx4H mini acrylic tank. For the substrate i used 1/4" sms and other 1/4" regular gravel. For a centerpiece I got myself a Zebra rock which was only a buck

Well heres what it looks like at the moment:

Not sure about the lighting yet.. maybe will use sun or lamp (probably lamp, any suggestion on wattage?? 14w enough?)
Filtration at the moment is a diy sponge filter (will get a nano filter)
co2 will be a 20oz bottle (will probably be diffused via filter)
And will have to get a small syringe for the ferts..

As far as aquatic life, I will either keep a few of my dwarf crays in there or maybe some shrimps (I know im limited on space therefore it will be just a few shrimps)

Got any suggestions??

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-04-2008, 12:56 AM
Wannabe Guru

Is that an actual aquarium or is it a reasonable facsimile?

For a tank that small I would get a nice desk lamp and put it on a timer. 14watts would be fine. I would think photo period would be more important than wattage. I have a 26watt(?) desklamp over my 2 1 gallon goldfish bowls and turn the light on for 2 hours in the morning and 2.5 hours at night. They also get some very filtered light from a shady window during the day.

Water changes would be a snap on a tank that small.

Keep us posted on this K?

Thanks for sharing.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-04-2008, 01:09 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Thanks Ed

That is an actual aquarium normally used for a betta.
At the moment I have a desk lamp and can either add 14w bulb or 25w bulb. Which one would be best? So if I were to keep this a planted tank with some high light plants would i still only need to run the light a few hours a day?? Whats a good number of hours (using 14w bulb)?
Also bout CO2, on a tank this small would a 20oz bottle be 2 much?
Im running 2-3 2L bottles on my other bigger tanks and it seems to be fine, I dont want to OD here.
So with the nano filter on, how often should i do wc? same as normal big tanks??

Thanks alot for the info

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-04-2008, 01:25 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

well since you are not going to have any stock in here besides some shrimp or something very small the bioload will be so small that it won't even register and the plants will eat up anything that does register.i would think a 20 oz bottle would be fine.as for water changes once a week should be fine you could even go longer since you don't have much in there.you do know that even with a 14W bulb thats 7W per every 1/5 of a gallon if you upgraded you would have about 13W every 1/5 gallon LOL (your shrimp/crayfish would need sunscreen)though i have heard this rule does not apply to small tanks. LOL your shrimp/crayfish would need sunscreen
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-04-2008, 02:23 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishy_Fun View Post
well since you are not going to have any stock in here besides some shrimp or something very small the bioload will be so small that it won't even register and the plants will eat up anything that does register.i would think a 20 oz bottle would be fine.as for water changes once a week should be fine you could even go longer since you don't have much in there.you do know that even with a 14W bulb thats 7W per every 1/5 of a gallon if you upgraded you would have about 13W every 1/5 gallon LOL (your shrimp/crayfish would need sunscreen)though i have heard this rule does not apply to small tanks. LOL your shrimp/crayfish would need sunscreen
lol fishy they already need sunscreen being in paradise sipping on some bubbly and making babies..

If anything i can also throw in a few tiny snails (I know how they are a big bioload.. poop machines)
As far as light, you are close.. 14w per 1/2 g or 28wpg but as you stated further the rule does change for smaller tanks.. My issue right now is figuring out how many hours exactly to keep the light on for this mini tank. I know 8-10hrs will be overkill.. someone help out

post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-04-2008, 11:59 PM
Wannabe Guru

What flora are thinking of, HC?
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-05-2008, 03:56 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

flora.. I got some Marsilea minuta today from one of the members here, will see if i can use it.. But i really got my hopes up on maybe switching the gravel with tahitian black sand.. It will make it look way better instead of the boulder like gravel..

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-12-2008, 01:42 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

for the past few weeks the tank had been just standing there just to house crayfish.. today decided to finally use the extra plants i had and maybe make the tank "look nice" lol

I did switch from sms/regular gravel to black sand. The black sand I got from Petland Discounts for pretty cheap. The plant is Elatine Triandra, same one i recently used in my 10g. I hope it actually fills in nicely. I also got a Hydor miniheater which is buried under the sand. This week hope to get a nano filter to finally have some water moving in the tank...
The tank will still house the dwarf crays until im done moving things around in the 29g so i can throw them in there (one is missing.. dont know where the heck he went)

Heres a shot showing the size of the tank compared to a double A battery

And heres a shot of the mama cray. The largest one of all. And one clown trying to hide under the little plant lol

post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-12-2008, 04:35 AM
Wannabe Guru

Send a message via AIM to FrostyNYC
I'm really curious to see how the Elatine trianda is going to do in your tanks. It seems like a relatively uncommon ground cover on this forum.

However, isnt that tank a little small for crayfish?

Edit: Wow, I just saw the size of the crayfish compared to the AA battery. I never knew dwarf crayfish were THAT small. Very cool
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-12-2008, 06:41 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Yea i dont see much people using it as a foreground carpet plant.. it looks amazing once grown, now it just has to do its magic and grow in this tank..

The crays are tiny, heres another picture i had comparing them to a dime

I actually had the female berried already but she dropped the eggs..

post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-12-2008, 02:51 PM
Wannabe Guru

Send a message via AIM to FrostyNYC
Is that adult size on those crays? I thought dwarf crays grew to over 2 inches. Do you know what species you have?
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-12-2008, 03:02 PM
Algae Grower

If you dont mind me asking where did you get the zebra rock for a buck....
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-12-2008, 04:00 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrostyNYC View Post
Is that adult size on those crays? I thought dwarf crays grew to over 2 inches. Do you know what species you have?
thats actually a juvi. right now the female (picture with the battery) is the largest one. The species is Ambarellus Shufeldtii.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trag672 View Post
If you dont mind me asking where did you get the zebra rock for a buck....
In brooklyn a store called Brooklyn Zoo and Aquarium. I believe the actual price for them was around $1.60/lb.

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-12-2008, 07:45 PM
Fresh Fish Freak

Now THAT is a nano! LOL

What filter are you putting on there?

Tampa Bay Aquarium Society - Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!
TBAS Annual Fish Auction - November 1st!!

post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-12-2008, 09:54 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Thanks laura lol
I will most likely get a red sea nano filter. But will need to trim the intake tube down a bit so it dont suck up any of the sand.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode