The Planted Tank Forum banner

12" x 12" x 12" ----> that is NOT a Cube <---- 1 month update w/Pics

20K views 30 replies 24 participants last post by  Discusluv 
#1 · (Edited)
I wanted a 'vase' that was > 2g and was looking all over the place for a cylinder that was > 10" in diameter. The only place I could find one was from amaligarden com, which is a floral / bridal shop in NYC. The (new) vase was $36 + $10 for orders under $50 (blah) + $17 for shipping from East to West Coast (blah x 2). Pretty pricey.

The shape, the thickness, the balance are perfect but the glass quality is way below par: a lot of bubbles, smudges, inclusions, creases - I cannot find 1/4 view that does not have some imperfection getting in the way. But it does hold water.

The Black Lava came from Home Depot, ~$7 for a 40lb bag.

The lighting is 2 x 24w of CFL spiral 5,000K bulbs from Home Depot, mounted in ZooMed Mini Double Deep Dome hang off ZooMed Large Lamp Stand. The thing is on for 10 hours a day and is used over a total of 4 vases.

The pink plants are Rotala Colorata. A lonely Nemphoea stellata is hiding in the background.

The whole collection is currently sitting on a breakfast counter, right next to the main kitchen sink in the island. I am getting not-so-subtle hints that the light stand, the fixture, the bulbs, and (oy) even the guppies will get re-positioned up my behind, soon and rather forcibly. My current choice is to dump my desktop PC to make room for the collection.

The HOB is Azoo 60 3w that came with RedSea 1/2g 'beta set' that was squirreled away in the pantry for some 10 years. The $30 for the whole set sounded like a good deal, just for the cuteness factor. I stumbled on the set about an hour after I placed an order for an internal filter on Amazon ... The HOB was missing all media, so, some poly went in. They need to be cleaned every week before the filter starts to back-flow and to make un-natural grunting noises.

As far as RCS go, I do have them, I think. I fished two < 1/16" shrimplets out of another vase but did not have the heart to move them in with guppies. They went into the 'champagne bucket' for now. Logically, one would expect a parent or two in a close vicinity. Getting them from an overplanted vase A (or B) into this one would require forethought, planning, local government approval, sign-off from IRS, sweat, and time. Better let sleeping dogs sleep.

Problem: I am at max tanks.
Problem: I like setting up new tanks.
Problem: I hate throwing plants away.
Problem: Re-doing large tanks takes time.
Problem: I want to try different setups.
Problem: < 2g jars are "set and forget".
Problem: I have problems.

The above looks like a solution looking for problems.

The above will be called "OVT's Memorial Cheapo Supper Secret Underwater Compulsion Lab".

Or "The Lab" for short. At least that's the idea ... today.

See less See more
#27 ·
I love this vase. I was looking at something similar through Amazon. I posted about it earlier in the week and got feedback that the tank I was looking at had bubbles and imperfections. I don't see too many bubbles in the pictures you took. How is your vase in real life. Are the imperfections in the glass annoying to you?

I originally wanted a rectangular shaped cube from the seller I was considering. Now that I see your cylinder, I am changing my mind!

#28 · (Edited)
I really really like that vase. There is something special when it comes to cylinders. My wife said that it is a more natural shape then a rectangle. The fish seem to agree: they keep swimming around the perimeter: no walls to bump into.

The glass quality is bad, pretty bad. But looking at the end-result from a step away just makes the quality of the container a non-issue. I was not happy when the vase arrived, but it was the only one I could find in the shape and size I wanted. The clarity is good, the 'distortion' is uniform, so, I can live with some bubbles and smudges.

This vase had no stickers. All vases of much superior quality that I have or have seen were made in Poland. Just check out the Crate and Barrel web site. If you can catch their stuff on sale, they are well worth the price, imho.

v3

Reactions: Discusluv
#31 ·
I should have known you had one of these squirreled away on this forum somewhere in the past.

I just ordered a cylinder of the same dimensions and Im going to copy this journal and do it just like this. I wonder where iI can get some Blyxia like these beautiful specimens ;).

Where ya been, my friend? We all need some updates!
And, just a reminder, Sacramento Aquarium Society is having its Mega-Auction on first Saturday of October. You can bring some stuff to sell to have more money for new stuff or bring a pocketful of bills to buy other peoples stuff. Im thinking of doing both . :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.