Another 5 Gal Hex - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-08-2008, 01:52 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed
PTrader: (17/100%)
Sorry to hear about the messy move. This will be a good opportunity for you to start over though. Keep us posted!

Sponsored Links
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-13-2008, 12:27 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru
PTrader: (17/100%)
Send a message via AIM to FrostyNYC
This practice tank has been officially taken down, scrubbed, and bleached. It's now being converted to an unplanted blue&pink gravel tank and given to my 7 year old brother and sister, who will undoubtedly kill many fish in it. Well, hopefully I can prevent that.

FYI - Over the 6 months or so it was set up, this tank produced over 30 vallisneria plantlets and half a gallon of java moss. I kid you not. With only flourish excel and a 15 watt spiral CF. (It also produced every freshwater species of algae known to man)

RIP 5 gallon hex tank
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-13-2008, 01:10 AM
Wannabe Guru
PTrader: (0/0%)
Originally Posted by FrostyNYC View Post
..It also produced every freshwater species of algae known to man)

RIP 5 gallon hex tank

Lol, thanks for sharing that. It is good to know that I am not the only one who was having issues with this type of tank. For anyone interested in my trials and tribulations with the tank, you can check out my log at:

I had to also tear down the tank, bleach and disinfect it, and redo it. Don't know how things will work out. Diatom algae reared its ugly head one month after the tank was redone and running. The Otocat I put in made short work of the diatom algae. The tank also has two cherry shrimp, a zebra danio, and is pretty much packed with plants(anubias, ambulia, dwarf lily, java fern, cryptocorne). Now I am patiently waiting to see what other type of algae rears its ugly head. I am also dosing fluorish Excel and using a 15 watt 6500 K GE daylight compact fluorescent in the canopy. We will see if the split 9 hour photo-period helps deter algae.

Well, if this fails, it is on to plan C: Tear down, bleach, disinfiect and redo the tank using ADA Aquasoil with fluorish excel/and or DIY C02 with the 15 watt compact fluorescent bulb to see how that works out.
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-13-2008, 02:04 AM
Wannabe Guru
PTrader: (45/98%)
I personally hate hex tanks.. dont know why.. the view is just all weird.. But you did do a great job, it looked pretty good. RIP

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode