First Foray into layered substrate tanks, have questions - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-08-2013, 10:54 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

First Foray into layered substrate tanks, have questions

Well, i had a Fluval Spec 2 gallon that i set up last year as a nano planted tank. it didnt grow much, the fish all died, and maintenance was a pain so i somewhat let it go. Its still running, but its covered in algae. the plants have surpsied me in that they are still growing, if somewhat stunted and malnourished.

My goal is to completely start over, this time with potting soil under a black sand cap, and root tabs. I want to do it right. I have the stock LED unit plus a LED unit salvaged from a Zen Nano tank. Not sure if this will work or if i should go to a Deep Blue solarflare LED. My goal is to grow a carpet of either hairgrass or pygmy chain sword, with a few dwarf alt. reinecki in the background, maybe an anubias petite, and a java moss wall. I plan on doing an emersed start but i have no experience with this and would love some pointers. Hoping to have a stock of cherry shrimp and maybe a scarlett badis pair if we get them in at work. Any other suggestions for tiny yet vibrant fish that dont mind being alone or with one other?

I plan on using RO water with aquavitro supplements added, plus the root tabs.

Last edited by snowmonkey; 11-08-2013 at 11:09 PM. Reason: title edit
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-08-2013, 11:57 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Small Nano tanks are great, but generally need a good deal more attention to keep them stable, balanced, crystal clear, and free of algae & detritus. To do what you wish to do with greater chances of more superior results begs for a somewhat larger set-up - the larger the tank, the easier is it to maintain optimal conditions for plant growth & fish-keeping.
Suggest you consider getting something in the 7-10 gal range. Good tank-mates for cherry shrimp would be boraras brigittae or boraras maculatus - (& there are other strains of these miniature rasboras) - google them to check them out - they're generally no more than about 1/2" in size & won't bother the shrimp.

For an example, here's a 10 gal in which I kept shrimp for a couple of years, until I decided to do a community of small fishes, rather than invertebrates.
http://s1105.photobucket.com/albums/...uspaul/Anubias
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-09-2013, 01:41 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for the advice. I actually already have had great success with my 38 gallon and 10 gallon planted tanks, but wanted to try a nano again, since last time was sort of lazy.

To put it simply, a pleco enthusiast.
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-18-2013, 05:17 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Shameful bump

To put it simply, a pleco enthusiast.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode