how often water need to change? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-17-2007, 03:41 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

how often water need to change?

Hi i am new here n new to planted aquarium, so i decide to start with a small one.

i am going to buy all the stuff tomorrow, but i still not sure what type n watt light i need to get?

pls advise THANKS!

Last edited by bullytaro; 03-22-2007 at 02:30 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-17-2007, 03:50 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Coralife 2x18w fixtures are approx. that size I think.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-17-2007, 02:31 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by epicfish View Post
Coralife 2x18w fixtures are approx. that size I think.
+1 for the coralife fixture

FUNction over form
post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-19-2007, 05:25 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

thanks alot!
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-19-2007, 05:36 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

ok yesterday i went n bought some plant for my nano tank, but most of the plants do not hv root. the shop tied a few of them together, so i just palnt it the whole thing, but my tank looks sooo messy.

can i plant them one by one even no root???

those plant at the back (not sure the name) can i cut it half, 1 become 2 to plant them?
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-19-2007, 05:47 AM
Planted Member

The stem plants you have can be planted 1 by 1 and will soon form their own roots. They're just cuttings from the tops of parent plants, but will establish themselves with time. For the moment, though, I would refrain from cutting them in half, as they are already stressed, and shouldn't be put under any more duress. When they grow and are ready to be trimmed, then feel free to propogate them.

On a side note, that grassy plant you have on the side is called Mondo, which happens to be a semi-aquatic. Unfortunately, it will soon die and rot in your aquarium. You should cosider replacing it with a true aquatic grass like hairgrass or micro sword. Good luck!!!
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-19-2007, 06:08 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Agrippa,

Thanks alot for ur advise!!

ok tonight i will open all of them up n plant one by one n not cuting them

ah the Mando will die soon that is an expensive one aik... ok then i will get some others to replace it... maybe micro sword, cos i already have the grass those on the woodn stone, which will grow all on the gound (hopefully) so hairgrass maybe will mix up with those?
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-20-2007, 03:44 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

redo..

post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-20-2007, 04:17 AM
Wannabe Guru

Well what you have on the right top part is a plant called Hornwort. The needly one. It actually grows NO roots but you can plant it. The plant is a very good sponge to start a tank, but you will probably get rid of it for a more manageable small plant or keep it in a bucket for later use. I keep it in a bucket for later use such as setting up a new tank or to improve water quality of a crappy looking tank.

When you take your picture, you might want to not use the flash. Wait until the room gets dark, then use a tripod if you must.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-20-2007, 05:56 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

hi sandiegoryu,

thanks for ur advice, u mean the right top [lant can improve water quality?? sorry for stupid questions..

keep it in bucket? do i need to add anything in the bucket too? or it can grow just like that in emply bucket?

ok i try to take the photo again tonight...

when i will need to put fertilizer?
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-21-2007, 01:35 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

here photos with out flash!

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-21-2007, 02:47 AM
Wannabe Guru

Well I keep my plant in a 1 gallon tank that I found and I have no light at all. Just ambient light from the window. And I keep snails in there which I never feed, and the water level is about half way because of lack of filling to the top. I sometimes put my water changing water in there as well.

Miraculousy the snails and plant live! I also stuck a cherry shrimp in there and its alive too... Strange creatures.

And yes I meant that the plant can help improve water quality. Of course all plants do that but this one does it better and faster.

And it seems you moved the plants more. And don't you think the photos look better without flash :-D.

And I can't answer your question for when to add fertilizer. I started dosing right from the start though. Someone more expert can answer it for you.

Good luck!
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-21-2007, 02:54 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to RESGuy Send a message via MSN to RESGuy
Cool

Hello,
You tank looks very good. Especially for a first timer and a 1 gallon But I think the roots of that semi-aquatic plants are dying. I would remove it if I were you.

-RESGuy
RESGuy's RCS Journal
55g RES Turtle Tank
20 Gallon Tall
Tank Paradise <- My site
I have both AIM and MSN so message me when you like, I love talking with people that share the hobby!
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-21-2007, 03:00 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandiegoryu View Post
Well I keep my plant in a 1 gallon tank that I found and I have no light at all. Just ambient light from the window. And I keep snails in there which I never feed, and the water level is about half way because of lack of filling to the top. I sometimes put my water changing water in there as well.

Miraculousy the snails and plant live! I also stuck a cherry shrimp in there and its alive too... Strange creatures.

And yes I meant that the plant can help improve water quality. Of course all plants do that but this one does it better and faster.

And it seems you moved the plants more. And don't you think the photos look better without flash :-D.

And I can't answer your question for when to add fertilizer. I started dosing right from the start though. Someone more expert can answer it for you.

Good luck!

yes without flash is sooo much better n nicer!! thanks alot for ur tips!!!

yes i move them again.. its my 1st time.. really no idea how to place them to looks better.. aik.... but i am more happy with it now.. hope this is the last move... poor plant suffer so much.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-21-2007, 03:02 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by RESGuy View Post
Hello,
You tank looks very good. Especially for a first timer and a 1 gallon But I think the roots of that semi-aquatic plants are dying. I would remove it if I were you.
ah so soon dying??? i just bought it on sunday

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode