Iwagumi Advice - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-25-2013, 01:43 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Iwagumi Advice

I have decided to redo my current 3 gallon acrylic nano in a proper glass aquarium. Received a 3 gallon mr. aqua and several seiryu stones today and have been experimenting.

After a long while, I have decided on this setup. Advice? All pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-25-2013, 01:55 AM
Invert Warrior

Iwagumi Advice

Looks nice. Not true iguami form, but nice still.

What plants are you thinkin?

*Retired for now*
|Mossy Bonsai|Almost ADA|DBP Loonnng|CRS Spec|
|My Tanks ʌ | Shrimp advice v|
|Essential tools|List of inverts|Sage advice|Truth About Snails|
Mark A Belcher Junior, founder -- DBP Club.
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-25-2013, 02:01 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by MABJ View Post
Looks nice. Not true iguami form, but nice still.

What plants are you thinkin?
I have some HC and DHG that I'll be transferring from my already established nano. What do I need to change to make it a true iwagumi form?
post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-25-2013, 02:09 AM
Planted Tank Guru

http://www.aquascapingworld.com/maga...umi-Style.html

Essential Iwagumi Principle

In an Iwagumi aquascape you should always use an odd number of rocks of various sizes, and they should consist of the same type of stone. This will add continuity and provide harmony for the layout.

One of the more difficult aspects of the Iwagumi Style is achieving visual balance through the aquascape. Many aquascapers follow the “golden triangle rule” which divides the layout into three equal segments from top to bottom, and from side to side. The focal point is where the different vertical and horizontal lines intersect. Placing rocks and groups of plants in theses areas will adds strength and focus to the Iwagumi aquascape.

The substrate sets the foundation for visual flow for the viewer. In Iwagumi aquascapes, the substrate should have contours and texture to keep the eye moving and drawn into all aspects of the aquascape. A strategically placed substrate will also help create an allusion of depth. Sloping upward from front to back is a great way to achieve this depth. You can also have one side or your aquarium substrate slightly higher than the other side. Each method will add more personality and depth to what seems like a simple design.

The substrate once covered with groundcover plants will create a sensation of fluidity and movement with green rolling hills and valleys.

Define Your Hardscape
When you start a layout you should always have more than enough hardscape material than you need. This gives you more options when your initially planning your design. You don’t want to be limited by a small selection of rocks. I recommend having at least seven different sized rocks to select from. Find rocks that have character, the more nooks and crannies your stones have the more detailed and complex your layout will appear.

Some of the more popular stones to use are Seiryu-seki stone, Maten stone, or Shou stone. These rocks are excellent rocks to use for your hardscape, but your not limited to these types. The goal is to find group of rocks that share the same color scheme, but are different in their details, color patterns, shapes, and contours.

When put arranged in an aquascape the rocks will appear as a unified collection while still maintaining their own distinct characteristics. The arrangement of the hardscape should have a clear focus and dictate the viewers’ perspective.

Select the Right Aquatic Plants

Iwagumi style should give you a feeling of tranquility and simplicity; therefore a limited number of plant species are used. An aquascape will usually consist of a single foreground plant like Eleocharis acicularis (Dwarf hairgrass), Glossostigma elatinoides, and Hemianthus callitrichoides to name a few commonly used species.

The background should also only consist of one plant species and can vary based upon the look and feel you want to obtain. The rocks are the focal point in an Iwagumi aquascape. So always use plants that will not over power the rock formation.

Harmony with Fauna

When selecting fish you want to emphasis simplicity, harmony, and unity between the fauna and the aquascape. Too many fish species can cause discord and chaotic random movement among the fish, which distracts from the aquascape.

Instead use a single species of schooling fish to add fluid movement and contentment to the aquascape. The most common used species are Cardinal tetras, Rummy nose tetras, or Harlequin rasboras. It is important to use “schooling” fish and not “shoaling” fish. This helps to maintain a more tranquil environment.

Shrimp like the Caridina japonica (Amano Shrimp) are most often use in the planted aquarium and serve as an excellent clean up crew without distracting the aquascape. Their small size and clear coloration helps them blend well with the plants. Other shrimp varieties can be a distraction if they are too colorful or too abundant.

Not as Easy as it Looks
It is a common misconception that Iwagumi style aquascapes are easy to maintain due to its simplistic look. It is in fact a more difficult style mainly because the style involves only two plant species which require special attention. The plants mentioned previously are heavy root feeders, so dosing the water column should be done in moderation. It is more important to have a nutrient rich substrate to help these specific plants grow strong and healthy. Many hobbyists overlook the importance of a nutrient rich substrate, and may run into plant health issues later as the aquascape develops.

EVIL Camera Pimp member #1
NIKON Pimp Club member #012
SunSun Pimp Club member #069

20L OEBT/Super Tiger/PFR Tank 20L Yellow Neo tank

post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-25-2013, 02:15 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I've actually read all that. I've researched the topic so I was wondering if you had specifics? I've used the rule of 2/3s I've used all the same rock type etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nubster View Post
http://www.aquascapingworld.com/maga...umi-Style.html

Essential Iwagumi Principle

In an Iwagumi aquascape you should always use an odd number of rocks of various sizes, and they should consist of the same type of stone. This will add continuity and provide harmony for the layout.

One of the more difficult aspects of the Iwagumi Style is achieving visual balance through the aquascape. Many aquascapers follow the “golden triangle rule” which divides the layout into three equal segments from top to bottom, and from side to side. The focal point is where the different vertical and horizontal lines intersect. Placing rocks and groups of plants in theses areas will adds strength and focus to the Iwagumi aquascape.

The substrate sets the foundation for visual flow for the viewer. In Iwagumi aquascapes, the substrate should have contours and texture to keep the eye moving and drawn into all aspects of the aquascape. A strategically placed substrate will also help create an allusion of depth. Sloping upward from front to back is a great way to achieve this depth. You can also have one side or your aquarium substrate slightly higher than the other side. Each method will add more personality and depth to what seems like a simple design.

The substrate once covered with groundcover plants will create a sensation of fluidity and movement with green rolling hills and valleys.

Define Your Hardscape
When you start a layout you should always have more than enough hardscape material than you need. This gives you more options when your initially planning your design. You don’t want to be limited by a small selection of rocks. I recommend having at least seven different sized rocks to select from. Find rocks that have character, the more nooks and crannies your stones have the more detailed and complex your layout will appear.

Some of the more popular stones to use are Seiryu-seki stone, Maten stone, or Shou stone. These rocks are excellent rocks to use for your hardscape, but your not limited to these types. The goal is to find group of rocks that share the same color scheme, but are different in their details, color patterns, shapes, and contours.

When put arranged in an aquascape the rocks will appear as a unified collection while still maintaining their own distinct characteristics. The arrangement of the hardscape should have a clear focus and dictate the viewers’ perspective.

Select the Right Aquatic Plants

Iwagumi style should give you a feeling of tranquility and simplicity; therefore a limited number of plant species are used. An aquascape will usually consist of a single foreground plant like Eleocharis acicularis (Dwarf hairgrass), Glossostigma elatinoides, and Hemianthus callitrichoides to name a few commonly used species.

The background should also only consist of one plant species and can vary based upon the look and feel you want to obtain. The rocks are the focal point in an Iwagumi aquascape. So always use plants that will not over power the rock formation.

Harmony with Fauna

When selecting fish you want to emphasis simplicity, harmony, and unity between the fauna and the aquascape. Too many fish species can cause discord and chaotic random movement among the fish, which distracts from the aquascape.

Instead use a single species of schooling fish to add fluid movement and contentment to the aquascape. The most common used species are Cardinal tetras, Rummy nose tetras, or Harlequin rasboras. It is important to use “schooling” fish and not “shoaling” fish. This helps to maintain a more tranquil environment.

Shrimp like the Caridina japonica (Amano Shrimp) are most often use in the planted aquarium and serve as an excellent clean up crew without distracting the aquascape. Their small size and clear coloration helps them blend well with the plants. Other shrimp varieties can be a distraction if they are too colorful or too abundant.

Not as Easy as it Looks
It is a common misconception that Iwagumi style aquascapes are easy to maintain due to its simplistic look. It is in fact a more difficult style mainly because the style involves only two plant species which require special attention. The plants mentioned previously are heavy root feeders, so dosing the water column should be done in moderation. It is more important to have a nutrient rich substrate to help these specific plants grow strong and healthy. Many hobbyists overlook the importance of a nutrient rich substrate, and may run into plant health issues later as the aquascape develops.
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-25-2013, 03:18 AM
Planted Tank Guru

I think that the substrate doesn't flow as well as it could and just something a little off to me about the rock placement. Can't place my fingure on it...I don't really get a focal point the way it's setup now. It still looks decent, just not Iwagumi.

post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-25-2013, 03:31 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Substrate meaning the type? Or the way it's laid out
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nubster View Post
I think that the substrate doesn't flow as well as it could and just something a little off to me about the rock placement. Can't place my fingure on it...I don't really get a focal point the way it's setup now. It still looks decent, just not Iwagumi.
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-25-2013, 03:35 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Layout.

post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-25-2013, 04:47 AM
Invert Warrior

Iwagumi Advice

Thanks for hitting up that info! Yes something is quite off here. What other stones do you have to work with? It'd be helpful if we could see some high res pics of the tank and some pics of the stones you have.

I think part of the issue is where most iguami scapes have some defined angles, continuity, this lacks those same qualities.

Three or five rocks would be a great start.

*Retired for now*
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-25-2013, 09:10 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Just to be clear, my current setup is the second picture, not the first. Maybe I'm blind? Because I see angles...and continuity. But hey that's why I asked for help right? And honestly I only have a few more stones to work with and the ones I didn't put in there did not look interesting at all. They were rather smooth in spite of being seiryu. That's what you get for ordering online...
post #11 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-25-2013, 09:21 PM
Wannabe Guru

I feel like the current rocks you have are too overpowering in the layout. Maybe try more smaller sized pieces? I have no experience with Iwagumi style but that's just my opinion:P Maybe swap the rock that's on the right with the piece that's on the back left and make your substrate a little more "hilly" than flat? Idk.. haha You're getting there though, but there's room for improvement.

But hey, as long as you're happy with how it looks, that's all that matters
post #12 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-25-2013, 10:07 PM
Invert Warrior

Iwagumi Advice

Yeah! You definitely don't have to conform to Iguami style. I have a similar scape to you.. It started off as "Iguami" but now look it. My almost ADA build.

I personally think yours is a decent scape. I'd change your substrate amount.. Also include some more pictures.

*Retired for now*
post #13 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-26-2013, 01:55 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Okay yeah cool. I was planning on adding more substrate around the rocks to anchor them. Is that cool? or would less look better....
Quote:
Originally Posted by MABJ View Post
Yeah! You definitely don't have to conform to Iguami style. I have a similar scape to you.. It started off as "Iguami" but now look it. My almost ADA build.

I personally think yours is a decent scape. I'd change your substrate amount.. Also include some more pictures.
post #14 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-26-2013, 01:55 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Definitely dig your almost ADA build though. Ku-DOS.
post #15 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-26-2013, 07:39 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Messed around a tad. Changed some positions, rotated the oyaishi. How is this? Better? Worse? I tried to increase the angles and tried to make a more obvious focus. As soon as I've decided on a rock position, I'll add more substrate to the back and such to create depth, flow etc etc

This is the only other rock really I'm not using

Last edited by bbqthis; 05-26-2013 at 07:52 AM. Reason: added more

Tags
glass, iwagumi, mr aqua, nano, seiryu

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode