The Planted Tank Forum banner

Do I have too much light?

909 views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  Vepr 
#1 ·
Tank: Evolve 4
Light: 10" Finnex Fugeray-R
Plants: Right now just Argentine Swords and "Asian Water Fern"

I did not have much of an issue with algae at first. But I was leaving my light on from 8AM to 8PM. I have been using 1 API Root Tab by my swords. I started using API Leaf Zone.

Now my rock is starting to get green algae on it. And my "Asian Water Fern" has some blue/grey algae on it. I have reduced my light to 9AM to 6PM.

My question is, am I on overkill with my light? And not only on time, but in general? Should I reduce how close to the lid it is?

I am not growing anything that requires medium or high light. Nor do I plan to. I was thinking of either putting the light that came with the tank on, or reducing my light to 8AM to 11AM, then off, then 1PM to 5PM.

#2 ·
The algae is utilizing the light along with excess nutrients in the water to grow; due to the small amount of plant bioload in your aquarium, the algae is going to continue to grow unless more plants are introduced, or water changes are done regularly to reduce algae promoting nutrients. I would vote the first of the two choices.

You can also try to start dosing Flourish Excel according to directions to help reduce algae growth, but know that even this is only a band-aid if you have continually high levels of nutrients in the water combined with high lighting and a low plant bio-load level.

Hope that helps

#3 ·
I would put the light on for 8 hours a day, use Excel, get a liquid fertilizer as well and get some sort of floating plant. Bettas look great under floating plants. Just pull out the excess weekly.

#5 ·
Because I was going all gun-ho thinking I was going to get a fancy light to help reduce any other problems due to my lack of experience, which in turn has caused different issues.

#8 ·
It will go away with proper care and dosing regimens; Excel will help in the short term, and keeping tabs on your nutrient levels as well as ensuring enough CO2 is in the aquarium should help keep the algae at bay.

There are also animals that eat algae that can be introduced such as Otto cats and Amano shrimp.

#9 ·
I recently started back up with planted tanks and I had to reduce my ferts a bit and my light period down to 8 hours while increasing my CO2 on my 7 gallon. I upped my cleaning regimen including the filter and daily small water changes and it has made a difference for me.

I am going to wait a few more weeks and slowly bump things up again like the photo period in 15 minute increments per week with small bumps in ferts etc. to try and find the happy spot for the tank.

Good luck in your algae battle.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.