The Planted Tank Forum banner

Walstad shrimp cylinder

27K views 51 replies 18 participants last post by  kuro 
#1 · (Edited)
I thought i would show my first walstad shrimp bowl. Very excited as i've been planning it for months.

Its a 25cm x 40cm cylinder vase. I've used a 1inch layer of organic all purpose soil and a mix of 3mm and 5mm pea gravel. I also put in some balls of red clay

Attachments

See less See more
#45 ·
It looks great. It's going to be fine.
Thanks. Its getting there. I've trimmed the plants early to bush them out a bit.

Looking great. Seeing tanks like this makes me realize I really need a vertical element to my hardscape in both my tanks.
Thank you. I was going to get a bowl but i saw this and thought it would be a bit different to do something taller.

I really like how this looks. Nice job.
Cheers.

:D

Sent from my GT-S5830i using Tapatalk 2

#51 ·
Shrimp won't live in an unfiltered tank?!

I want to put shrimp in my cylinder but I was told they wouldn't live in it because it's unfiltered. pH is 7.5, hardness is 10, and nitrates are 5.0ppm and ammonia 0. I do a 40 percent water every 2 days with dechlorinated water that sits open for 24 hours. And it's well planted. Any thoughts would help. Thanks!

#52 ·
I had PFR shrimp survive in a moss only tank, no filter or substrate. They breed non stop. I also kept one PFR with few chili rasbora in a Walstad bowl and they love it. Everyone survive in that bowl for about a year before I tore it down and move them to another tank.

PS: Your cylinder about 4 time bigger then my bowl so you can probably keep a breeding colony of shrimp in there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.