The Planted Tank Forum banner

Raftlife's 2.2 Gallon Office Cube

8K views 20 replies 12 participants last post by  Psiorian 
#1 · (Edited)
CURRENT FTS

I got the green light from my boss to put a small aquarium on my desk in my office, so I've spent a bunch of time this weekend getting as much of it set up as I can before the work week starts. Some things will change, but today it is up and running.

AQUARIUM: 8x8x8" Cube found at LFS

LIGHTING: Right now it's got an 18 watt JBJ 50/50 PC clamp (leftover from my saltwater days) but that's just a placeholder for today until my Aquatop Nano Type-P Led Light arrives in the mail

CO2: Up Aqua Pierce CO2 system (coming this week)

FILTER: Aqua Clear 20... I'll probably change that

PLANTS: - Moss ball, java moss, mayaca fluviatilis

Fish: 1 betta

Sorry the pictures aren't that great, I just threw this together before a really crazy week at work and I wanted to have the heavy lifting already done. All I had around was my phone to take pictures though...

My new workspace

Can't wait to get the light tomorrow and not have a blue planted tank!

See less See more
#5 ·
Update: The betta fish jumped :( Time to rethink stocking... maybe shrimp after all? Any suggestions?

Heater: our office is fairly warm so I was going to try and do it without a heater but I decided to go ahead and order one.

Substrate: just black gravel from the lfs. Now that I'm looking around I see that aquasoil is all the rage - maybe I should have gotten that.

Still nothing I've ordered in the mail has come yet. No real progress here

#7 ·
My Betta managed to jump out of the small rectangular opening at the top of my Fluval Spec. They definitely are active fish if you give them the correct conditions and this can lead to their demise.

Honestly, if I were you, I would take this as an opportunity to switch over to Aquasoil (Fluval Stratum and ADA are both great) and maybe stock some shrimp. In my experience, shrimp are as fun, if not more fun, than fish to watch. They have a lot of personality!

#10 ·
Thank you! This is my first "real person" job as I just graduated college last year and I can't believe I have an office at all, let alone a nice one. It's nice to also be able to put in a small aquarium.

I think I'm going to go with aquasoil - I guess this tank will go on hold for another week it seems. Too bad I already bought the plants...

Also now that I'm doing aquasoil, I think I'll add an HC carpet. Any other suggestions for plants/fish/inverts?

#11 ·
Update: Replaced the HOB filter (eyesore) with a mini internal filter. Much nicer looking and much quieter.

I added a mini heater

CO2 system came today, no sense in putting it in just now though I'm still waiting for the aquasoil and new light. I'm getting pretty tired of this blue reef light...

If anyone has plant/fish/invert suggestions I would love to hear them!

No progress otherwise - looks kinda the same

#13 ·
You may as well try a neo shrimp. They're durable, forgiving and look nice. Also a conversational starter. You'll be asked as many times as there are employees if they're edible.

I'd also look at that light. You're bound to get algae and it doesn't really look like it is in a good spectrum for freshwater viewing.

MABJ's iDevice used for this message :p

#17 ·
I have clown panchax also known aka rovcket panchax or killifish aka clown killfish. They r living with adult shrimps n always ignore them, no baby shrp pfor me as well but they may munch on them if its not heavily planted. If u r not planning to breed shrimps then they r a good choice. They are surface dwellers n mostly spend their time playing with each other.really awesome fish.

#19 ·
Smallest livebearer in the world. Smallest fish indigenous to the US.
7th smallest fish in the world.

Great fish, mostly safe with shrimp. Just don't expect the shrimp to breed.

I still recommend a neo colony.

#20 ·
Sorry for the lack of updates - work got pretty busy and I didn't give this tank much attention for the past two weeks.

Anyway, I added some HC, CRS, and Endlers Livebearers. I still haven't gotten around to bringing a camera into the office, but the tank is actually looking quite nice with the new light.

I got the aquasoil but I really don't have the time or energy to swap out the gravel at my office. Getting one substrate washed, strained, and settled was already an achievement and I'm just not going to bother.

I haven't set up my CO2 yet, and I'm sure I'll get around to that just as soon as I get another moment to breathe during the workweek...

Any suggestions for how to fill out the left side? I was thinking more HC or micro swords since I have this kickass light now

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.