The Planted Tank Forum banner

My bowl attempt (NOW WITH INHABITANT) (THAT NOW LAID EGGS)

3K views 20 replies 11 participants last post by  Knotyoureality 
#1 · (Edited)
So I set this up a couple days ago with the thought of attempting to create a really small bowl that could house juvie shrimp or something interesting well I grow some moss in there. I also wanted to see how fast my moss would grow under minimal light.

Equipment:
none
Light:
Aqueon evolve light, swiveled over for about 4.5-5 hours a day
Substrate:
dirt layer capped with a bit of aquarium gravel
Flora:
Java moss
Fauna:
none yet

Rocks I was choosing from

Choosen rock and filled

After dirt settles

Thanks for looking, this is my first time trying to keep a journal so sorry for any of the mistakes that I've probably made in posting this.

See less See more
#9 ·
So I was planning on going to pick up a snail from a local store when I found one in my Aqueon Evolve. I knew one was in there but last I saw him/her he/she was the size of a pinhead and I paid no attention to him/her because I only saw him/her occasionally. Well now he/she looks to almost be the size of a dime. Once I get a good picture I'll post one of him/her.

#10 ·
My bowl attempt (Now With Inhabitant)

Aha here he/she is

So does anyone have any idea what kind of snail this is? I just kinda found it in my Evolve one day and forgot about it till the other day when I went to feed and saw it again only much larger.

#12 ·
pond/bladder--never can remember the difference between the two and everyone pretty much just calls 'em pond snails anyways.

Excellent test pilot for the new bowl--I generally scoop a couple of these for any of my planted vases. If they dont' crawl out after three days, you're generally good to add shrimp.

I have this exact bowl by the way--currently holding some backup riccia, shreds of a moss-ball, one huuuuge MTS, and three juvie cherry shrimp with a 1/4" of sand as substrate. MTS has been there for two months, the juvie shrimp for one month--neither growing particularly fast, but they're living on biofilm alone so it's not surprising. :)

#19 ·
So my generic whatever snail it is that people said I had laid eggs, I'm wondering though, do these need a second snail to fertalize? Or will I soon be covered in these snails? Lastly do I need to take any special care to keep them alive? They are currently just below the water line.

#21 ·
These little critters are hermaphrodites--and no doubt yours had access to a partner before going in the bowl.

Hatching generally happens in 10-20 days, success depends on a tons of factors. No special care needed other than making sure they stay wet. They'll be readily visible on the glass and easy to remove if you start getting too many.

While large tanks often seen population explosions due to the amount of food naturally available in the way of decaying plant material, bio-film, etc. these sort of micro tanks typically balance out from any population boom very quickly. Indeed, under conditions of minimal to zero additional feeding being done (or high competition from other life in the bowl) adult pond snails will lay less and even eat their own egg masses, greatly diminishing the rate of reproduction.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.