The Planted Tank Forum banner

Plants for this cube

2K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  acitydweller 
#1 ·
I plan on keeping a couple of shrimp and a fiddler crab or two in this 8x8x8 tank. Need suggestions on slow-growing and non-needy plants (no co2).

Already filled it with Fluval shrimp and some black gravel.

Thanks!

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Fiddlers need slightly brackish conditions and a beach or rock to crawl up on. I see you have driftwood in the middle they could play on, but even then I think that only one male could live in there comfortably. They love to fight with each other.

There's a sticky for low light plants in either the low tech or plants forum http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=56042

#5 ·
Thanks for your input, guys. I may end up keeping one red crab instead of fiddler. Those seem to not require brackish water? I'll also be throwing in some rcs.

Still a bit undecided on plants but am currently considering:
- fissiden on the wood
- rotala r on in the background
- marimo moss ball

I will definitely take out some of the substrate.

I found a dumpster near my apt that is housing a lot of broken up stones from an apt that is getting renovated (you gotta love manhattan). There are tons of broken up marbled-like stones that may look great in the tank. So I may swap out the piece of wood for a nice slab of stone for a poor-man's iwagami tank.

#9 ·
i suggest using some small branches of manzanita to help scale the look of the tank as well as some rough stones for a sense of dimension. some fine mosses like fissidens, xmas or even weeping if you can find any would look great there. maybe a patch or two of belem in the back behind the stones could work as well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.