The Planted Tank Forum banner

Micro Zen Garden

30K views 79 replies 24 participants last post by  megumz 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello. I've been contemplating this tank in my head for a while.. Just a really peaceful low light, low tech setup.

I picked this tank up during a sale on wag.com, and I got it for a good price.

.5g Acrylic Marina tank.

I like this little cube for a lot of reasons, including its background, (after removing the ugly pictures) its size and its half top. Not only that, but it has a very unique shape, allowing you to hang it on the wall or just leave it around.

Regardless of all those possibilities, I'm just planning on setting it up slow and nice. As with many of my other tanks, I like mosses and will probably utilize them alone, unless someone can think up something better.

Obviously with something this small, you're limited on how you can scape it.. But I will be trying to find something dynamic and beautiful.

The most important part of this tank.. Is it is a gift for my girlfriend of two years who is graduating college this semester, and will be spending chunks of time without seeing me. So it must be good.

I look forward to your suggestions and help

View attachment 69897

I just started brainstorming and that is what came to me.

I still need a method of light and a way to cut the plastic top that won't destroy the 3 sides I want to keep.

See less See more
#3 ·
True enough. Thanks for clocking in. I'm an oddball who loves lots of substrate. I couldn't tell you why if you begged me, but I love using overly large amounts in my works.

I would consider moving some stuff, but definitely I need people to chime in on aquascape.

Oh.. I probably should add I use the Elite Mini filter. I got it today, and I'm just a wrong amount of happy about how it looks it is tiny and I think it even blends into the scape.

I'll also add I'm stocking this with 1-6 shrimp blue velvet shrimp. That is her favorite neo shrimp.

#5 ·
I like the cube, if I were you I would probably put those rocks on far left corner, with driftwood coming out between the rocks pointing towards the center or corner, then try some Xmas moss pin your rocks n some willow moss on your driftwood, you can then add one or 2 pebbles covered with some kind of moss creating a green moss path going towards the main rock n leave the rest as substrate..lol just my 2 cents.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

#7 ·
Nice gift for your girlfriend! =]
For your scape, do you have more wood?
If it were my tank, id pile the rocks in one corner, back left of right, and put the driftwood comeing out to the mound, and across the tank to the naked side. Since you want to use moss, a moss that will hang down would look nice coming off the driftwood.

#9 ·
Thanks for all the responses! She will be happy when she reads this.

I'll try to address everything.

A general thing is.. This cube might even be smaller than you guys think :p.

Another general thing, the two mountain like things are chunks of wood, not rock!

Stan. I like your thought.

I'll try rearranging some stuff. I have some more pebbles. I'll put some mini pellia on them.

This tank will have mini Xmas, mini pellia and fissidens.

I don't think I will have room to drape anything down, but floaters? Sign me up! I'd like to try some red root floaters.

There's no water in the tank yet, but I will say it has to be mobile, as it may be moving once or twice a year.

And by mobile, I mean a little movement won't hurt the scape. That's why I tried to do a secure scape.

#10 ·
Good to knw you like my thoghts MABJ:). i would probbaly remove those 2 rocks next to your woods. just couple of pebbles with mini pelia as you said and x mas moss on your driftwood of wood, and will fissiden on your chunk of moss. I am pretty sure with the variety of plants you have chosen this cube can be mobile for sure..

#15 ·
Crud. Sometimes I get pms, read them, go about my day, then forget about them lol. Yes. That's no problem!

I don't think my samples will require a 1st class box, but I'll keep you posted.

#16 ·
In other updates, I got this tank up and running. I figured the driftwood had to sink anyways, so I set the filter up (cute as hell) and I put seeding material in it.

The driftwood pieces are floating, they'll get placed as they sink :)

#21 ·
I found several desk lamps at IKEA that would work. I tried a planted shrimp bowl a year ago(got bored with it). I also found 25w Halogen replacement bulbs there. I was able to put together a functional light for $12.

NOTE: @ 25w Halogen use a metal light fixture. I didn't have a problem with a plastic light fixture but, I didn't feel comfortable as the fixture seemed hot all the time.

#20 ·
Thanks for the suggestion! But I feel that light is a bit too strong for my aquarium. I've seen it used in much larger setups, and it is 26 watts.

I'll keep searching.

#22 ·
Hmmm I checked out Ikea's website. No luck. I'm kinda looking for something LED-ey. And I'd like it to attach somehow.

It is for my GF who will be living 4 hours away from me next year, so major things like knowing what bulb to go get are kind of out of the question. The most I want her to have to do is pull floaters and top off :)

Very low maint. But I appreciate your suggestion. I'll be keeping it in mind for my own tanks :)

MABJ's iDevice used for this message :p

#23 ·
what about this ikea light? http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/80169636/

I was using the desk top version on a 2 gal hex and 2 gal bowl with good but slooooow results. The temp is way off but should work. How is the hagen elite mini in this size cube? I thought it was too much flow in my DB 3 Gal.

You and i have the same taste in tanks. I was looking at these on amazon yesterday but didn't like the backgrounds. Good to know they are removable. Looks great so far.

#24 ·
Haha that we do, Kruzerman!

I checked out that light, but at 3500k I'm worried about the color.. Could someone shed some light on that? Hehe

Yeah the backs are just removable sheets of paper.

This tank isn't the sturdiest, but I got it for like $6

#32 · (Edited)
also recommend the ikea lamp

I was on the fence last spring and xenxe had one and everything was fine, so I ordered it off AMZ and have been using it ever since. First on a 2 gallon that cracked (above water line) and then down to a half gallon vase. All my plants are green and low to medium light and the colors look great and they are growing just fine. Exc. the frogbit just hung around so I took it out. I, too, love that spotlight look and this lamp was all I could find. You can really change the look of the depth of the container by positioning it differently to highlight different areas--something harder to do with a regular desk lamp.
On AMZ reviews, people who use it as a desk lamp report some problems with the switch. I have noticed since Nov. that sometimes the light is dim, so, ignoring my timer, I walk over and flip the switch up to 3 times and it is back to normal illumination. Just a heads up on that.

Wait, checked out the website and the lamp I'm talking about is also a janjso, but a desk lamp one, not clamp. Looks really nice. Exact same Kelvins and look to it but with a base. Look on AMZ.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.