The Planted Tank Forum banner

Rusty's GLA 36-L First Iwagumi Build

19K views 74 replies 19 participants last post by  joey24dirt 
#1 ·
This is my first nano tank, first rimless tank, first iwagumi build. This should be exciting. :)

Here's what I've got so far:

GLA 36-L (36 x 22 x 26cm)
Eheim 2211
16'' Finnex Ray 2 LED (7000K White)

I have 27lbs of Seiryu stone on the way, hopefully will get here tomorrow. That should give me plenty of stones to choose from. I plan to use ADA Aquasoil Amazonia powder type for the substrate. I'm waiting for either AFA or ADG to get the 3L bags back in stock. I don't currently have a stand or anything to put it on but I plan to go out in the next few weeks looking for something relatively inexpensive that I can use as a stand. I will be getting the Cal Aqua Labs 13mm nano fluxus filter pipes. I'll be using a GLA inline atomic diffuser and I'll also be getting some sort of manifold to allow me to run CO2 on this tank and my 30 gal both from my GLA Atomic V3 regulator with 5lb CO2 cylinder.

See less See more
#5 ·
Haha. Thanks. :) And thanks for helping me decide which light to go with. HOLY COW! It weighs absolutely nothing. I picked it up and it was literally like picking up a feather. Lol. I checked the email I got when my stones shipped. They should get here either tomorrow or Thursday. Apparently I had the estimated delivery date wrong. lol. Too bad I won't get to start setting this up until after the new year.

#6 ·
You know for a relatively inexpensive stand, I've ran across a lot of threads by Mini-M owners who use those ClosetMaid cabinets found at Target. I was gonna get one but decided to use my Ikea file cabinet since i decided to place my nano tank next to my desk.

There are other options at Target and Ikea, but here's an example...
http://m.target.com/p/closetmaid-2-door-organizer-espresso/-/A-11187095

#7 ·
You know for a relatively inexpensive stand, I've ran across a lot of threads by Mini-M owners who use those ClosetMaid cabinets found at Target. I was gonna get one but decided to use my Ikea file cabinet since i decided to place my nano tank next to my desk.

There are other options at Target and Ikea, but here's an example...
http://m.target.com/p/closetmaid-2-door-organizer-espresso/-/A-11187095
Hmmm. Interesting. I need a shelf for my dvd's so I was gonna see if I could find something that would work for that and function as a stand. That looks like it would work pretty well though. Thanks :)

#11 ·
Nope. That's why I built one for my 30 gallon :) http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=187506 I could put something together for this one, but I feel like something like a side table or that cabinet would do just fine, as it would serve the purpose and wouldn't draw the eye from the focus (the aquarium). No need for anything fancy. With my 30 gallon, I built the stand so that it added to the overall display of the aquarium.

#14 ·
Ah, well, while it's a nice-looking style, I don't want to spend money on one for a small tank like this. I am perfectly happy with something inexpensive that will do the job. Perhaps after I finish school I can build an ADA style stand. Until then, this should work just fine. :)

Sent from my HTC One S

#15 ·
Well, here's the beginning of my light stand. Both Lowe's and Home Depot wouldn't cut or bend the pipe for me, so I had to buy a conduit bender and I plan on returning it, undamaged, tomorrow. :) lol. I don't have a pipe cutter and I wasn't going to buy one since I couldn't return that. I will just have to find someone with one I can borrow. I will shorten this by at least 2 and a half feet, maybe 3 feet, but this should give you an idea of how it looks. I will also cut off a piece of the horizontal arm so it doesn't look so long. Let me know what you think. :)

#17 ·
Possibly. I'm heading home for Christmas break tomorrow and I think my dad might have a pipe cutter in his shop. If so, I'll use that. If not, then I might resort to a hack saw. :) Believe it or not, that was my first time ever bending conduit, so I got a 5ft piece to practice on first, then did it on the 10ft pipe. Now I've just got to cut the pipe down to about 5ft in height rather than the almost 8ft that it is right now.

#21 ·
New stuff! :) :
16.6lbs of Fluval Shrimp Statum (for the 10 gallon low tech shrimp tank I'm going to set up)
3L ADA Aquasoil New Amazonia powder type
Tank mat for GLA 36-L
Cal Aqua nano fluxus pipes inflow and outflow
Cal Aqua nano drop checker
glass hang-on-rim thermometer
GLA Atomic in-line diffuser to fit my Eheim 2211
Rumford Aquatics pincettes
Rumford Aquatics spring scissors
27lbs of seiryu stone

#25 ·

The red circles/oval represent parts that I feel don't flow with your main and power stones. The blue indicates the relative flow and direction your stones are indicating. Looks quite solid, but a little more tweaking never hurt for a thought out Iwagumi.

#26 ·
Nice illustration. :) thanks. Like I said. I threw it together in 5 minutes. It's only a first draft. Much more tweaking to come I'm sure :) what would you suggest maybe doing with the front area? It looks like to 2 larger stones seem to work pretty well together, but I'm having some difficulty after that. :/

Sent from my HTC One S

#27 ·
Play with it! Iwagumi's can have so much meaning depending on how you move some of the minor stones. In can be very playful by having both forces equal, or it can reflect power by having greater support for the dominant stone.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.