The Planted Tank Forum banner

let me see some FLUVAL SPEC V'S

441K views 420 replies 209 participants last post by  chkby2 
#1 · (Edited)
i know theres a spec thread, but so many people are buying the spec v. not alot of info out there on lighting upgrades, filter upgrades either so id like to start one. if you care to play please post a picture of your spec v and info on your tank.

fluval spec v all stock shrimp tank

fluval plant stratum

pennywort, java moss, annubias, dwarf sag, dhg, bacopa, hydrocotyle japan, ludwigia repens, marimo ball.

home to 13 baby crs, and an uncountable number of baby rcs. and 1 zebra snail.

updated 11/23/12

See less See more
#4 ·
I have been an outdoor gardener for a long, long time, and aquaecapes really appeal to me.

I'd been thinking of getting a tank for years, and finally did it about a month ago. No fish yet - still at the end of cycling it. A kind member of the local fish club gave me a lot of starts of plants. I don't know what any of them are yet. I need to send the person some photos so I can ID them.

I am torn on what to stock it with. I'm thinking one betta.

I like the chili raspboras, pygmy corys, Endlers, shrimp -- but think maybe a betta would be a better fish for a beginner.

#6 ·
Wow your spec v turned out awesome!

Do you have any soil layer mixed in there? if not probably wanna dose a lil fert regimen no?

I dunno I think a betta isn't really anymore noobie friendly than the others... I think it more depends on whether or not you want a slightly more centerpiece type fish or a group of smaller fish and shrimps.

I guess the more intensive thing would be shrimps/inverts but not really that much just a couple foods more appropriate for them (but not necessarily) and as I have learned some way to supplement the calcium and etc which is as easy as adding a product to your water changes.

Good luck deciding though!

#9 ·
thanks! I am having fun with it! I like the size of the tank, and the challenge of keeping things in scale.

I would really like to have another one of these tanks, if this one goes well. I am having such a hard time deciding between Endlers etc. or a Betta. If I got a second tank, I could have one set up each way. Might have to step up to a 10 gallon though.

Then maybe a 40 breeder down the line. :)

Nope, no dirt, just the tiny gravel. I ordered some Ferts and stuff last night from Amazon. The local store near me has next to nothing.

#10 ·
gotcha... well good luck deciding! those "chilli" rasboras are real cool too, if you don't want a breeding fest! or maybe you were thinking all male endlers...

anyway, here is my spec v:

FTS

he's tryin so hard to impress the ladies

the gang of them, my oldest male is trying to show them how it's done lol!

when the males get into fits of displaying for the females it is pretty funny

:D

#12 ·
I bought a betta yesterday for my tank. I have read that they don't like much current - especially when first going from the little cups they sell them in to a tank. I looked at lots of photos and things on how to make baffles but none seemed to be workable for the Spec V.

I looked around the small pet store where I live for ideas and found a Fluval Edge "Pre-Filter Sponge" and was able to use that for a baffle. It's a cylinder shaped sponge with a hole in the center on one end that a tube would fit in, but the other end does not have a hole. I cut about half an inch off the end with the hole, and then just slipped the hole onto the out put thing that sticks into the tank on the Fluval. Fits like a glove - no rubber band or string needed. Not the best looking - but it really works! It's soft enough that I don't think it will hurt the fish.

#14 ·
you guys have some really nice tanks.

daylily: did you turn the flow down on your pump also? i have my flow turned all the way up and my shrimps dont mind it at all. my betta is very active and enjoys a current in his tank also.

fujow: are you using all stock equipment? co2? very nice tank, i was going to go iwagumi on my tank also but ended up with lots of shrimps and decided to go shrimp tank.

#16 ·
Yep, pump is on low. I'm going to give the Betta a couple weeks to get stronger, then see how he does. Hopeful the plants will start to recover by then. They've only been in for 10 days. I am having trouble with a few of them not staying planted - so maybe a lower flow for a little bit will allow them to establish some roots.

#19 ·
edjonaso: do you find running co2 is neccessary with that light? id like to upgrade my lighting as well but dont want a light that is too intense where id have to supplement co2 and ferts to keep balanced. trying to keep my spec v as low maintenance as possible. thanks

#20 ·
I'm not quite sure about this, I did however run this light on my tank for about a week without the CO2 setup and aside from minor issues like some algae/diatoms on the aquarium glass, everything was fine. I guess it all depends on your light duration maybe? I kept the light on for 6 hours a day when i wasn't using CO2, i was worried about algae bloom. The fugeray is meant for low-medium light setup after all.

the CO2 really boost the plant growth though, and I've seen some of the plants pearling :smile:

#28 ·
I picked up one today at Petco as an upgrade for my evolve 2 gallon RCS tank. I'll post some pictures after the water clears completely. The stock LED light is a bit weak, so right now I just have Anubias, Cryptocorne, java moss and windelov java fern plants.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.