The Planted Tank Forum banner

Topless edge dwarf puffer tank

23K views 95 replies 32 participants last post by  Silmarwen 
#1 ·
Just started setting up this new tank. Couldn't help myself on a great deal on a used edge. Decided to set it up for a pea puffer. Still cycling. Just built a simple light fixture for two GU10 LEDs. Pretty excited about this little tank. Plans for plants are to keep it simple, just java ferns, moss and such.

View of it and my 25 gallon cube from the kitchen.

View of both from the living room

And my 25g hightech cube

Thanks for looking!

See less See more
#2 ·
Cool! I don't think I've seen a topless Edge before. It looks great. And I have to say that your 25 gallon high-tech cube both intrigues and frightens me. That must be some sturdy shelf bracket!

#4 ·
Very cool 25G i just hope it is well secured to the wall.
The topless edge is a great use for a very difficult tank to scape (much better like this)

#5 ·
I like it :)
Have you had a pea puffer before? Ive had one for 2 weeks and I adore her! Even if she does seem to ignore the bazillion snails I toss at her *rolls eyes*
They love to explore, so little caves, lots of plants, stuff like that is great for them.

#16 ·
As weird as it is to suggest, I found my nanas at petsmart in the little tubes for I think $4 a piece. I got two with large rizomes so I was able to make 4 plants outta two. You can always see if anyone has a good deal with WTB though.

#20 ·
So it's been 7 days, I seeded the filter with media from my established tank and filled it half way with water from that established tank. Been testing it and still no sign of a cycle. I'm pretty sure it's good to go but might wait a few more days and a few water changes till I add the puffer. Sound like I am going about this the right way?

#21 ·
aren't you just adding one puffer? I mean I am not super experienced yet but I would assume that isn't going to be much of a bioload for a 6 gallon and considering you have a head start on the cycle with the seeding going on I would assume you would be good to go assuming you test the tank regularly and are ready to do frequent water changes for a lil while... just my two cents

#22 ·
I am thinking the same. All the filter floss in this new tanks filter is from my established tank. So are all the plants. And yes just one puffer. I read a lot on the dwarf puffers and a lot of people said I could keep 2 in this tank. A male and a female, but I just don't feel confident in that. So at least for now I am just getting one.

#23 ·
I am no expert with puffers but it sure seems like you can house two in there assuming they have enough hiding places to feel comfortable enough with...

but yeah back to the cycle thing, how many times have you tested it? you are getting 0 nitrates? you using api liquid test kit? and finally perhaps you could lightly feed the tank some food to feed ammonia

/rambling :)

#29 ·
very nice... these are such cool lil guys

besides the feeder snails are you planning on any other fauna? perhaps shrimps would be too easy for him to pick on but I wonder if a CPO or something could be interesting....

#33 ·
There are a few ottos in there too, I might throw in a few ghost shrimp just to test see what happens, worst case the puffer gets a nice snack.

What kind of heater are you using? I am looking for a small, reliable heater for my 5 g tank that isn't preset. . .

jeander
I just have the Tetra 50 watt preset heater. I've used them before and never had a single problem. this one hasn't let my tank move from 78 yet.

Please take about a million more photos. Puffers are great!
Dont worry i will take a ton tonight when i get home!

#36 ·
My tank is so heavily planted and has caves and driftwood arches for her to explore it's practically impossible to get a pic. I love these little guys so much.we need an I Love Pea Puffers thread. Lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.