The Planted Tank Forum banner

Hayden's ADA 45-f: The End

75K views 250 replies 53 participants last post by  Hayden 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello all,
I am beginning my new tank: an ADA 45-f. My idea on this build is to take my time. I saved up and bought high quality equipment, and I will take my time carefully assembling and scaping in order to truly appreciate it's beauty. It will sit in my room, so, because I am home-schooled, I can enjoy it all hours of the day:)
My scaping plans are fairly open at this point. I already ordered 10lbs of Seiryu stone from AFA, and I want a fairly "clean" looking scape, but I'll have to wait to see what the stones look like and such before I fill in details.
At this point, I own the Aquarium, stand, and lighting. I have ordered the filter, pipes, tubes, stones, and soil from AFA, and have purchased a GLA co2 system from a fellow TPT'er.

Here are the Specs for my soon to be setup:
Aquarium: ADA 45-f
Stand: Ikea Expedit
Lighting: Custom LED Fixture from RapidLED
Co2: GLA Atomic V2 nano
Dosing: EI (via DIY)
Substrate: ADA Aquasoil
Aquascape: Seiryu Stone
Flora: HC, Riccia Flutians, Eleocharis Parvula
Fauna: 12 Boraras Naevus, 6 Corydoras Habrosus, 2 Amanos

I will try my best in documenting the setup process, fingers crossed I can borrow a DSLR!

See less See more
#175 ·
Magic Eraser worked wonderfully, at least for green algae. For the future I'm looking at that Two Little Fishies Product.
Purigen in today, Amano's in tomorrow (found a local supplier)- Things are looking better. My Goal was to get the tank looking good by Christmas, and I might just get there! Anyways, pictures soon if everything goes according to plan. Merry Christmas Everybody!!

#176 ·
Week Thirteen Update

It's been far too long since an update- with the holidays, sickness, work, and school starting again, I've just plain been too busy.
Anyways, much has changed in the past month. With new filter media, purigen, new algae scrubbers, and most importantly, Algaefix, most of the problems which plagued this tank have receded or altogether disappeared. Water is again crystal clear, spirogyra is gone, and diatoms and crazy green algae have receded drastically.
HC has grown in fairly well, not a complete carpet yet, but I've come quite a way. You can see I had to retie some riccia. This was due to a trimming mistake, and I used fishing line this time to ensure longevity.
Also, I added two amano's, but both mysteriously disappeared within a week.. :confused1:

The Two Little Fishies scrubbers are pretty great. They do their job well and make the whole process very simple. My only complaint is the magfox pipe scrubber doesn't fit in 3/8" tubes like it's supposed to. I'm considering cutting it a sliver smaller so it will..
In the near future I plan to purchase an ADA Spring washer for my lily pipes, as well as Do!Aqua Scissors and Pinsettes, and add fauna to the tank. I'm hoping I can find the Boraras and Pygmy Cories locally, but if not, I'll have to buy online.

#187 ·
I've been a bit busy but I do what I can with it here and there. It's more of a nuisance than anything. Fully carpeted with HC, hairgrass and I added some rotala to the back left corner where the intake its. It just seems to accumulate a lot of detritus....not sure why.
Interesting. Hope it pulls through!

Beautiful setup! It looks larger than it is.
Thanks. :)

#188 ·
Week 16 Update
Three weeks since the last update, things are still looking good. Increased growth, no big problems, and some new Fauna!
I contacted Rachel and had a great experience. I ordered 12 Boraras Naevus, 6 Corydoras Habrosus, and 3 Amanos.
These fish have been nothing but pleasure, I absolutely love the combination of their unique looks and personalities. The Corys are, however, my favorite. :)

#191 ·
hey Hayden! it's been a while, I'm not sure if you still remember me or not but I see that your tank is coming along very nicely did the algaefix product harm any of your fish or shrimp? the tank looks very nice and matured
It sure has been awhile! How's the Rotala doing? (if you still have any :D)
I stopped dosing Algaefix when my Fauna arrived- on the bottle it says that it's safe for fish but not for inverts. (Actually, I had otos in the tank while I was dosing, and they weren't affected.)

HC everywhere! Lovely tank. Glad it worked out well for you man!
Thanks Freph! I can't wait until my HC fully carpets. It's taking awhile, but I kind of expected that because I started with so little.
Have you set up your 20L yet?

#193 ·
Thanks Freph! I can't wait until my HC fully carpets. It's taking awhile, but I kind of expected that because I started with so little.
Have you set up your 20L yet?
20L has been reset, yeah. Had an issue with hairgrass being horrendously invasive so I had to rip up and re-plant my D. diandra bush. Also a lot of my HC was infested with U. gibba so I only took the cleanest and healthiest patches and planted them. I've got like...7? small ones right now but they're doing well. It'll take longer to spread but the good thing about HC is that the growth is exponential. Plus, that tank resists algae very well so I don't even get algae on newly planted bunches or on exposed aquasoil even under high light. ;)

#210 ·
I was a compliment! Hate is the modern day compliment LOL. If someone is hating, it prob because they are jealous. Which is what I was jokingly saying LOL.

ADA tanks, while ridiculously expensive, are amazing. And you have done a great job.

What is AFA?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.