for all the HC + CO2 experts - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-28-2012, 04:32 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

for all the HC + CO2 experts

I used the DSM for HC in my Fluval Edge 6g for about 1 month, and they grew great, until a few spots decided to melt.

So I bought 2 pots of HC and split them up and replaced the brown spots with them.

My substrate is Fluval Stratum, it's a bit hard to keep the clumps of HC in the substrate. When i flooded the tank, it looks like they're trying to float but still being held on.. so my question is:

1. I'm running about 1 - 1.5bps using Paintball co2 setup, is this sufficient
2. My light goes on at 7:00am, off at 1:00-2:00pm, and on again until 7:00pm, is this enough?
3. Is that normal for HC to look like they're going to unroot and eventually settle down?

Thanks for all the helps
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-28-2012, 04:48 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

1. Unfortunately, there's no way to know how much CO2 is in each bubble, so we can only assume by using a drop checker... which still isn't that great but can help you guesstimate in a small tank. Do you have a drop checker?

2. An 8 hour photoperiod is sufficient in a planted tank. Running 11 hours may be too much, depending upon your light... which leads to the question: What kind of lighting are you using? Is it the stock lighting? If so, you may not have enough light to grow HC.

3. HC only tends to uproot and float if it's too thick and needs to be trimmed or is trying to grow taller due to lack of light. (Or if it's unhealthy)

Any way you could provide photos to help us get a better look at what's going on?
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-28-2012, 04:58 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I'll snap a photo later today. The drop checker is on its way so probably next week sometimes when i get it.

The lights are the stock 21 led lights that came with the Fluval Edge.

I forgot to mention that the Tank sits about 10 ft from a window that faces East, which gets a lot of sunlights in the morning. Which might explain why some patches were melting .. maybe too much heat last few weeks (yes it does get hot here in Washington)

Quote:
3. HC only tends to uproot and float if it's too thick and needs to be trimmed or is trying to grow taller due to lack of light. (Or if it's unhealthy)
Would it be a wise idea to trim the newly planted HC so it's shorter?

Thanks
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-28-2012, 05:44 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

If it's firmly rooted, trimming it will definitely encourage new growth.

I'm betting you don't have quite enough light for HC to thrive with the stock lighting. Have you checked out some of the Edge journals here on the forum? Many have had to modify their tanks to provide additional lighting.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-28-2012, 08:00 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

The HC grew fine when it was dry starting it. but then again that's probably because there were no water in the tank!

Quote:
Have you checked out some of the Edge journals here on the forum? Many have had to modify their tanks to provide additional lighting.
I've seen a few light mods, and will test out with the stock setup for a couple weeks to see if there's any progress.

I'm not too concern with adding livestock right now so it shouldn't be a problem if I leave my co2 running 24/7 right? Do I still need water movement for co2 to circulate around?

Thanks for the prompt responses
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-29-2012, 02:41 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

You'll still need some water movement (not surface agitation) to make sure CO2 circulates and to make sure nutrients circulate.

But you can leave it running 24/7 with no livestock, sure.

If you're not into the modding thing... you could always just position a desk lamp above the tank with a daylight CFL. That's a super-cheap option and can still look really nice.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode