The Planted Tank Forum banner

Shiny's Aqueon Evolve 4 (Updated pics 1/7)

24K views 32 replies 12 participants last post by  shinycard255 
#1 · (Edited)
Aqueon Evolve4 Specs:
Tank - Aqueon Evolve4 (obviously)
Filter - stock
Lighting - stock
Heater - none (as of now)
Substrate - 2" of Black Blasting Sand
Flora - Anubias Nana Petite, Green Cabomba, Mini X-Mas Moss
Fauna - Pumpkin Shrimp

01.07.2013 (video update)
http://youtu.be/fz_e5O0gZC8

01.04.2013 (video update)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVcwC1FkVi4

07.21.2012 (start up date)

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
So I decided this weekend that I needed a new tank. The wife is out of the house all weekend with her friends so it's my prime opportunity. :hihi:

I've been eyeing the Aqueon Evolve series ever since it came out. I've heard good things about it as well so I figured I would try one out for myself. They were all on sale at Petsmart so I snagged the 4G version for $64 after tax (which I don't think is too bad really).

Substrate is Blasting Sand from Menards. Stuff looks real nice actually. Stock light, which is actually pretty bright and also has 2 LEDs for moonlight effect.

Plants are Green Cabomba, Anubias Nana Petite, Mini Xmas Moss tied to the rocks in front, and Salvinia.

I plan on housing Pumpkin Shrimp in the tank. I'm a little worried that the temp is too high, as it's 84˚ without a heater. I'm probably going to have to look into getting a small fan for it.

#7 ·
A little warning with shrimp. You are going to want to block the overflow and the little hole below the overflow with some mesh or something to prevent the shrimp from getting in. It is a pain in the but getting them out from the pump area when they are hidding to the left of the pump in the little cave area. Also you might consider modifying the outflow to slow it down a bit. Mine was too much for my rili shrimp.

#8 · (Edited)
So I tested water parameters today for cycling purposes:
Ammo: 0.5ppm
Nitrite: 0.1ppm

I guess seeding the filter with a sponge my other shrimp tank helped a bit. Hopefully this is a fast cycle and I can get the Pumpkins sooner than later. I'm adding in more Ammonia today to bring it back up to 3-4ppm.

That did cross my mind and I think I figured out a way to block them off. I grabbed some AC70 sponges and crammed them in there (had to squeeze them in a little bit), but they are blocking off overflow. I haven't checked the hole, thank you for bringing that up and reminding me. I did cram the sponges all the way down so I'm assuming I did cover that hole but I will double check.

How did you block yours off by chance? SS mesh?

I had thought about the outflow. I was thinking just putting something around it to block it a bit off, maybe cut a corner off a sponge and rubber band it. I already have the pump all the way down, but it still seems rather rough for shrimp. My plants don't mind it though.

EDIT: Just shined a light into the little hole and it is blocked off by the sponge. I think I'll be alright

#9 ·
I've read that some people cut slits into the pump hose and that slows the outflow. It also helps to circulate the water in the pump section, which is particularly good if you have a small heater in there.

#11 · (Edited)
Checking water parameters again:
Ammo: 2.0ppm (not quite 2, but a little less, maybe 1.9)
Nitrite: 0.5ppm

I brought the Ammonia back up to 4ppm yesterday and so far the bacteria can chow down 2ppm of Ammonia within a 24 hour period. Not too bad for seeding the filter :)

The Green Cabomba is really starting to take off. I'm also starting to see some new growth on the moss as well. I must be doing something right ;)

EDIT:
Ammo: 1ppm
Nitrite: 2ppm

Ammo: 0.25ppm (bringing it back up to 3-4ppm)
Nitrite: 2ppm

Ammo: 0.5ppm (bringing it up to 2-3ppm)
Nitrite: 5+ppm

Ammo: 2ppm

Ammo: 0.25ppm (bringing it up to 2-3ppm)

Ammo: 0ppm (bringing it up to 3-4ppm)
Nitrite: 0ppm

Ammo: 0.25ppm (bringing it up to 3-4ppm)
Nitrite: 0.5ppm

#12 ·
Little update...

Tank is coming along great. Had to already trim the Cabomba back, but all I did was pull it out and cut some off the bottom and replant. Very easy :)

I was also looking into the tank the other night and there was a baby RCS swimming around the tank from when I put the driftwood in. Apparently he decided to hitch a ride to a new home. I was kind of surprised to see him roaming around in a tank that is cycling with 4ppm Ammo and 5+ppm of Nitrites. :eek:

I pulled the little guy out and put him in my 60G angelfish tank. My angels decided to make a snack out of him

I also put a fan on my tank as well to help cool it off a bit. The tank was staying around 85˚ due to the room temperature. Now with the fan grazing over the water, brought it down to 72˚! I didn't expect a fan to work that well!

EDIT:
Sitting here watching my tank and I see ANOTHER baby RCS hanging out. Time to pull him out

#13 ·
Tank is coming along great. Had to already trim the Cabomba back, but all I did was pull it out and cut some off the bottom and replant. Very easy :)
Did you uproot the plant and trim the roots?
You shouldn't disturb the roots, and just trim the tops, cutting them down a few inches.
(if I understood that correctly)

#15 · (Edited)
Small update... I need to post some pics soon...

Cabomba really starting to overtake the tank now. This stuff grows fast in this nano. First time I've tried out this plant and it looks nice. Moss growing in a little bit as well. I can see the mini xmas moss starting to grow above the mesh on the rocks finally.

I'm also starting to notice some Diatoms on the driftwood as well as some hair algae on the Anubias

The tank is still cycling... gotta love the waiting game. I stopped keeping track for a few days, but still kept adding a little bit of Ammonia everyday. I tested yesterday and everything was 0's so I brought it back up to 4ppm Ammonia last night

Ammo: 0.75ppm
Nitrite: 0.25ppm

(Added 4ppm Ammo yesterday morning)
Ammo: 2ppm

Ammo: 0.25ppm (adding 3-4ppm Ammo)

#18 ·
I'm actually surprised and pleased to see how well the light will actually grow plants. I doubt it's bright enough for anything more than low-light plants, but I might toss one in there from my high-tech tank to see how it handles

Gorgeous little tank
Thanks! I can't wait until the moss grows in some more and I actually stock it with shrimp

#19 ·
UPDATE!

Shrimp added!

FTS:

So I added the Pumpking Shrimp I got from jimko a few days ago. They look awesome! I've been watching them every chance I get.

The Cabomba has already been cut twice, this stuff grows fast! I added a few stems behind the driftwood to give the tank more depth. The mini x-mass moss is also growing in very slowly, but looks nice. First time trying out this moss and I like it. I have some also in a mason jar on my windowsill. I've been debating about taking the Anubias out and just tying some more moss onto the driftwood instead so the shrimp have more moss to graze through.

Anyway, what everyone wants to really see.....

Here's the pics:

#22 · (Edited)
Small update (I'll do a full one tonight with some pics):

So I had 2 pumpkin deaths last week. 1 in the beginning of the week and the other towards the end. No clue as to what could have caused it. The insides of their bodies were white... possible infection? Who knows? I also noticed one of my females dropped her eggs as well.

I also picked up a TDS meter about a week ago and have been playing around with it. I think the deaths might be from the high TDS in this tank. It's hanging at around 650ish. Even after a water change, it jumps right back up to that high within a few hours. The TDS from my tap is around 365ish. Should I look into getting an RO unit?

The TDS in my RCS tank in the basement is around 450ish and the shrimp are still having babies.

#23 ·
It's been a while...

Bit of an update...

The moss has grown in quite well. Cabomba didn't do so well in this tank as time went on so I chucked it. Not sure if I want to take some extra moss and make a moss wall. That would be kinda cool in a tank this small. Open to other suggestions as well.

Sorry, no photo this time, but I have a video instead...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVcwC1FkVi4

#24 ·
Hi shiny,

I just picked up the evolve 8 on sale (67$) and I noticed that the filter is really noisy. It makes a rattling noise also. I have read mixed reviews on the filter being quiet/noisy. How does yours seem? Also i have a betta and 6 neons in there and the filter flow seems to be extremely to strong. I have it turned all the way down. My fish seem to struggle to get around due to a strong current. Do you have this issue?

Awesome tank btw! Love the shrimp.

#25 ·
Filter was noisy for me too at first. Its from when the pump sits right up against the wall and makes the rattling sound. I took the suction cups off of the bottom and also put a small sponge back there to act as a cushion between the wall and pump. Not more rattling sound anymore. Other than that, it's pretty quite to me.

I've heard of people having issues with the current. My shrimp don't seem to mind, and mine isn't even turned down all the way. Mine is maybe 1/3 of the way up. I've heard of people taking a small piece of sponge and zip tying it to the output nozzle to help keep the flow down.

Thanks for the compliment on the shrimp. I think I'm going to take a few photos tonight, they seem to be nicer than the video

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.