The Planted Tank Forum banner

6.6g New Dirty setup 56k Warning (No longer using dirt)

10K views 44 replies 10 participants last post by  stevenjohn21 
#1 · (Edited)
Haven't had tanks in a While. Used to keep Mini Reefs and it was fun but expensive, and eventually came to the point where the stuff I wanted I could never realistically have, So I left the Hobby for a While.

I like the Dirt tanks Ive seen here, So I went with that.

Picked up what you see above, The Petco 6.6g Bookshelf aquarium, Miracle Gro Organic soil, couple bags of natural brown gravel, Lava rock.

Added the dirt, packed and wet.

Topped with gravel

Moss and Black Lava rock added.

Plant was named "Compacta" Hygrophila corymbosa stricta

Filling it up, I had expected far more brown as Ive read other people have had to fill and drain their tanks multiple times before it started to clear up.

And finally

Im sure itll be cloudy for a couple days. The filter is super silent. Im not really happy with the plants/moss placement. seems far too unoriginal.

Thinking of maybe cutting up the board the fern is on into strips, and making a road affect. possibly surrounding the lava rock with the compacta.

Ideas/comments appreciated.

thanks for reading!.

See less See more
#43 ·
Turned the ISO down on the camera took come of the cloudyness/blur out of the tank shots, Ill play with it some more. But as you can see one of the two new plants I bought is doing very very well, the other, I siphoned out as it was turning to mush :/

I bought some plants off a local PT member, when they arrive ill post some more(Hopefully Better) pictures!

#44 · (Edited)
20 days later, Got some more plants and some more growth. Took out both amazon swords and gave them to my father as I bought him a nano planted tank for xmas.

Picking up a 24" 54w light fixture tomorrow, the Maracyn has the green slime almost gone.

Earlier today I came across what was labeled as "orange Bacopa" but cant find it on google

Once the bacteria clears up ill get close up shots, as for now, like most things, it looks better from afar.

Turns out one of the pencil fish was super agressive, never letting any other pencil fish out from a corner of a tank, quite a shame considering he was the prettiest. I had 5 didn't expect one to turn rogue, so hes caught and going back. Id like to grab a few more as they color up surprisingly, I guess its just the luck of the draw in getting an agressive one.

#45 ·
Any updates on this ? Did you buy a new light fixture or stick with the original ?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.