#1 · (Edited)
Specs:

Tank: No name 5 gallon cornerless
Light: Innovative Marine Skkye light 8w
Filter: Finnex px-360 with noname lily pipes
Co2: Paintball regulator with offbrand atomic diffuser 45mm
Substrate: AS amazonia powder with bacter 100 and super clear
Ferts: None right now, possibly liquid dosing later if needed

Same 20 liter no name rimless tank with a new scape. I am trying to figure out HC and this will be my second attempt. The first time was not bad, it just took forever to get anywhere in inert sand. This time I am using Amazonia powder with bacter 100 and superclear in the soil. This is the same HC from my previous attempt, I uprooted the mat and replanted it very badly. The scape didn't look good either. I tore it back down today and came up with this:

The HC is not in the greatest condition right now, but I am hoping it will survive. I couldn't find a large enough primary stone, so I played around with the small stones I had. I'm not so focused on the stone arrangement as just getting a nice even HC carpet. I can work on my rock work with a future scape. I plan to document the growth in this journal.

See less See more
#2 ·
Some grow in pictures to track the progress, I decided to put Blyxa up at the back, mainly because my LFS got some in for the 1st time and I jumped on the chance. Anyway, the HC is looking much better, cutting away just a spot or two of BBA on it, but not bad at all. The growth is not explosive, but I like it taking its time, I know the root system is getting robust.

#8 ·
I have the innovative marine skkye light 8watt. skkye light 8w Its a really nice fixture, a little expensive for just 6 LEDS, but it really works well. Seperate plugs for white and blue so I have my moonlights and CO2 start an hour before which is kinda cool. The HC likes it, moderate amount of pearling. I did have to really adjust the mounting arm as it did stick way too far out, but with it being a softer metal, I was able to bend it into the right position fairly easily. I do like the really small footprint, very compact. Overall I am happy, but am still on the hunt for something with a little higher light.

Older photo that shows the light set up

#10 ·
I used inert sand on the 1st go and that pic is of the HC about 2-3 months in to the scape. slowly creeping out, full of algae and just not healthy. I also wanted something less busy than that scape. I decided on the AS route after reading through Franks thread and wanted to set up something proper to achieve a more artistic look in a quicker timeframe. I am soo much happier already with the set up and growth, its looking how I want it to look rather than hoping I could make it happen with the sand.

#13 ·
Been working on a bunch of hair algae about half as hard as I should be. I soaked the worst spots in excel for a few minutes last night a couple hours before the pics. I drain the water down and stop the filter, then pipette excel directly on the algae. In my experience, I should see pink algae tonight if the new amanos that were on it already have not cleared it by the time I get home. I may have to do several treatements as I cant get some on all the spots with the recommended dosage, so I will do it in steps. The 4 small amanos should make a dent fairly quickly as well... PICS

And some fun pics and closeups

#20 ·
That's awesome I have almost the exact same set up. We have the same light, tank, plants, and almost the same CO2 set up! My IM light has been going for almost a year and a half now couldn't be happier.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.